Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Adding an external Amplifier to an RT's radio

Any one do this to there RT? Or is it more of a box that houses to many electronics, pc, etc. To do this?

I'm riding a 2011 RT Limited and my audio is pretty darn good, When I play an MP3 with super high quality @320kb. The audio rocks. So I am an audio snob and also know our sound is lacking mainly due to lack of power. I know we can get away with 2ohm speakers, but you really won't have to at all with cleaner and more powerful sound with a possible external amplifier.

Your thoughts??

Rich

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ROCKING AUDIO

Rich, if you still have the OEM speakers .....you have no idea how good it could sound by just swapping out the speakers........A $10,000 AMP cannot fix crappy speakers............This is a fact ....not my opinion..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was it BlueStratos, who added a BIG amplifier?
    You might want to PM him about it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

LOL, Mike, Mike, Mike. I know I'm just thinking our of the box.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's speakers that'll do it for you: I went with J&Ms, and even the Missus can notice the difference!

Spyder Garage

I added a 300 watt amp from Fosgate Rockford, they have a compact 4 channel unit that is very good quality and reasonable. I mounted it where the satellite receiver would go on the left side of the rear luggage compartment. The body panel complete hides it and it gets a lot off cooling by mounting it to an aluminum plate. The plate mounts to the threaded holes already there, then the amp mounts to that. I used heat transfer paste on the back side of the amp. I also made a simple water shield over the top to keep water off it as when I use a pressure washer it would cause the amp to cut out until it dries.

The amp puts out 75 watts per speaker so you need to match the amps to the speaker or you will blow them. The only ones I could find are from a company called DC Gold, they have both the 4" and 5 1/4" sizes you will need. A minor amount of dremeling is required due to the size of the casing but everything hides by the speaker covers when complete. These speakers are hand made and compared to any other speaker I have tried they are incredible. The base is fantastic and you will hear highs that you never thought were there before.

I also added a bass amp unit in my frunk to get the deep deep base that really thumps but this is not required.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to see that you made it to the party!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I added a 300 watt amp from Fosgate Rockford, .
    Do you remember the model or number of that unit? Are there helmet headsets that anybody knows of that will handle this?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Alright let me throw a monkey wrench into this. Why on gods earth would you need 300 amps and speakers to handle it?? I get enough of loud speakers from the occasional car that pulls up beside me here in town. Now that is obnoxious not to mention discourteous. I feel the same with Spyders, Harleys or anyone making loud noises around me. At least take out your earplugs and take off your helmut so it's not cranked up so loud.

Get a headset and crank it up. I am not interested in listening to what your listening to. Reminds me of the first Harleys that came out with a loud radio and speakers. I don't want to listen to your loud pipes or loud radio! IMO this is as juvenile as it gets. Seriously think about not yourself but on how you affect others around you.

If I have stepped on some toes here so be it. Stop and think about this for a bit. Some one has to say it so let the Flaming begin.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Well I will answer both questions,
    First question the head set will not need to be changed, the amp wires to the speakers only. The model us PBR300x4 and sells for around 279.99. You will take the stock speaker wires and run to the high level inputs on the amp, then run bigger speaker wires back to each speaker. speaker. Each speaker will draw up to 6 amps at full bore.
    • MOSFET output stage
    • 2/4 channel input switch
    • 12dB/octave Butterworth crossover
    • High level inputs
    • Ultra compact chassis
    • Variable 4-6 volt hi level DC offset voltage input turn-on control
    • 1 Year Standard Warranty

Now as to why: The amp is plenty loud but the reason is sound quality. It is a day an night difference especially at highway speeds. While I respect your opinion it is just that, an opinion. I am very careful where and when I play them music loud, so please do not make the assumption that I would disturb people. I am 51 years old and also do not like to hear loud pipes or music (such as when a car pulls up next to me at a stop light). For me the challenge of installing a completely hidden amp was what is was all about. There are times when people want me to turn it up and I am happy to do so, lol.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 06-30-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack... I though that you only hated tire threads...
    It is now obvious that you have a unique talent for hating a plethora of items...

I salute you!!

Spyder Garage

Default Info

Bluestratos thanks for that info ,I've said the clarity of the audio needs more than just better speakers all along.

and was wandering if such thing as an inline amp existed and where one might install it if it did,

I tried JBL's on my 13 RTS. Louder yes, but after midway on the volume, to me it just sounded like crap.

Thanks again.

Ray.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CRAPPY SPEAKERS ETC

....Anecdotal : the Chrysler Hemi engine was always LUSTED after by street racers because of the incredible horsepower they put out ( and still do ..) , however there were a few folks who thought they were less than stellar performers. In fact these folks thought they were CR*PPY......Until those " FOLKS " figured out the Hemi's didn't run well UP-SIDE DOWN ....... ........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jack... I though that you only hated tire threads...
    It is now obvious that you have a unique talent for hating a plethora of items...

I salute you!!
    Well you would think that a guy who wrote and played Rock and Roll professionally for seven years would like loud music. You have not heard loud till you listen to playback after recording. It will move your chair around the studio. Really.

I rode Harleys with loud loud pipes from 1951 til 2008 and loved them. Don't know what happened but I lost my taste for loud. (unless it is my own ) May the wind at your back never be your own! Irish toast.
    Original OP had a very sensible answer to my post. Thank you.

Yesterday I rode with a guy who had his stereo blasting in everyones ears and never turned it down even at stop lights and he annoyed everyone. Guess I have a hangover and headache from that. Sorry

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually do use the auto-volume control feature, in an attempt to lessen the suffering of those around me in traffic...

ypu up played professionally???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ah sounds like Screwball on the Harley Forum Site... Dam kids with there loud ass toys...

Spyder Garage

Yes, I tried the JBL's as well and I agree, there was a perceivable improvement in quality at mid range but they dropped off quickly toward the end and I measured lower output power. Now they may have improved them since so that was my experience 3 years ago. When I tried to use them with the amp I quickly blew them out which I fully expected but had to try, lol.

I use the auto volume as well in an attempt to be a good neighbor, now don't be me started on barking dogs in the middle of the night or fireworks, it is one thing to hear a passing vehicle with loud music but no fun to listen to a dog barking for hours or kids blowing off fireworks at midnight. lol.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's that saying, that everybody seems to throw around?
    "Loud Music saves lives!"

Spyder Garage

Default Output

The other thing I noticed was the output was much less when balancing the front and the rear speakers as opposed to putting everything up front,
    on both my 13 and now 15 RTS.
    I ride solo all the time so I just use the font speakers or bluetooth to my helmet.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Hey Everyone, thought i'd throw my 2 cents in, I'm 60 years old , and I like rock and roll, Especially ZZtop, ACDC, and a lot of others, and I like my MUSIC LOUD!!!!, on the Highway, but when its in the city I turn it down, NOT because I'm thinking of others, because its shaking me off the bike LOL, the standard speakers are fine with me , I play Pandora thru my I-phone, I;m still 16 in my heart, But my body tells me otherwise, Love my Music, Spyder, and my woman of 36 years , cant get any better than that!!!

Midnightbreeze , Oh, and occasionaly Pardon the spelling, I love to open this thang up and enjoy the BREEZE !!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by midnightbreeze50 View Post
    Hey Everyone, thought i'd throw my 2 cents in, I'm 60 years old , and I like rock and roll, Especially ZZtop, ACDC, and a lot of others, and I like my MUSIC LOUD!!!!, on the Highway, but when its in the city I turn it down, NOT because I'm thinking of others, because its shaking me off the bike LOL, the standard speakers are fine with me , I play Pandora thru my I-phone, I;m still 16 in my heart, But my body tells me otherwise, Love my Music, Spyder, and my woman of 36 years , cant get any better than that!!!
    You and I should compare playlists sometime!

Two words: Yngwie Malmsteen...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You and I should compare playlists sometime!

Two words: Yngwie Malmsteen...

Will do Bob, Keep that Thang tween the white lines , Enjoy the Music, and the Breeze on the knees.

Midnightbreeze ROCK AND ROLL,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're heading out on a short, 100 mile day today... (errands and shopping, and some lunch.)
    I'm thinking that "Mahogany Rush", "Iron Butterfly", and "Uriah Heep", are going to have to ride along with us!

And SRV: of course!!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As long as one of U.H.'s songs is Easy Living!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's in there!