Thread: park brake

Spyder Garage

Default park brake

today i notice that release mechanism in the foot lever do not work...a try a few times then it was OK and i can drive...When i parked at home the same problem...Any suggestions? Thank you.

Spyder Garage

spray the release mechanism with silicone lube - dealer fix under warranty
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

thanks...need to repair or spray will help?

Spyder Garage

Spray helps but there is awarranty fix. I will be having the dealer fix mine at my 6000 mile check. I spray about 1 a month and everything functions fine.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

no more questions. Thanks again

Spyder Garage

my wifes parking brake on the started doing the same at around 2000 miles.....finally stopped working completely and could not use it at all. took to dealer and they replaced lever mechanism with new improved lever with larger teeth which is supposed to fix the problem. so far 1000 miles later works perfectly.

Spyder Garage

Apparently not all the earlier Spyders come within the serial number range for the parking brake fix. Even though we have a Premier Edition Spyder with the very obviously poorly stamped parking brake parts, our dealer says it is out of the warranty range, and they will not fix it. All you can do is approach your dealer and try. WD-40, silicone spray, or teflon spray all work quite well however. It is also necessary to keep it adjusted so it doesn't have to be pushed too many clicks to engage it. If you haven't had to lube it every month or so like I do, a clean and lube should do you fine.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Apparently not all the earlier Spyders come within the serial number range for the parking brake fix. Even though we have a Premier Edition Spyder with the very obviously poorly stamped parking brake parts, our dealer says it is out of the warranty range, and they will not fix it. All you can do is approach your dealer and try. WD-40, silicone spray, or teflon spray all work quite well however. It is also necessary to keep it adjusted so it doesn't have to be pushed too many clicks to engage it. If you haven't had to lube it every month or so like I do, a clean and lube should do you fine.
    -Scotty
    Fix it today...adjust+wd40 and now works like new. Thanks again,i.

Spyder Garage

Apparently not all the earlier Spyders come within the serial number range for the parking brake fix. Even though we have a Premier Edition Spyder with the very obviously poorly stamped parking brake parts, our dealer says it is out of the warranty range, and they will not fix it.-Scotty
    Yeah my dealer tried that with me as well and so when I took my in for the brake failure fault code I made sure I set the parking brake. Guess what? It took him 5 minutes to get it released and he had to do it by releasing the spring. So he forced it through the warranty. Don't give up.....

Diggittt
    Full Moon #1176

Talon Alarm
    Trunk Spring
    Power Bus
    H.I.D. Headlights
    Kuryakyn ISO Grips
    NMN Highway Brackets
    Kuryakan Highway Pegs
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust
    BRP Sports Rack & Back Rest
    LED Fender Tips
    Ride-On
    BRP Tank Bag
    H.I.D. Fog Lights
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    GlowRyder L.E.D. W/Remote
    TricLed Fender Lights

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Diggittt View Post
    Yeah my dealer tried that with me as well and so when I took my in for the brake failure fault code I made sure I set the parking brake. Guess what? It took him 5 minutes to get it released and he had to do it by releasing the spring. So he forced it through the warranty. Don't give up.....

Diggittt

Where there is a will, there is a way... good show.

Spyder Garage

It is also necessary to keep it adjusted so it doesn't have to be pushed too many clicks to engage it. -Scotty
    How hard is it to adjust the parking brake?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kariblay View Post
    How hard is it to adjust the parking brake?
    Easy. See the black assembly between the pipe and the swing arm? That's the parking brake mechanism.

You can adjust the cable there and... if that's not enough, you can remove the nut from the lever that the cable is attached to and move it around on the splined shaft.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

-Scotty
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggittt View Post

Diggittt
    Well, this has taken an interesting little twist. I took your advice, and approached my dealer again. Apparently most things like this show up automatically in their system, listed under the serial number of your Spyder. Mine showed it was eligible for no service bulletins, so they denied the claim. We revisited it yesterday, and the same thing happened. I then insisted on obtaining the entire serial number range, so I could add this to my claim directly to BRP, which the dealer recommended. When they took out the paper copy of the service bulletin, our serial number was included! Apparently their computer system does not pick everything up automatically. They will be replacing the poorly stamped parts now. If you are having symptoms, and your claim is denied, insist on seeing the service bulletin in paper format. They may have made an unwitting error in determining if the bulletin applies to you, due to the way they usually look it up. Now if I can only get them to deal with the repeated broken windshields, which they have also denied.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

When I read "I took your advice" I thought you were going to say you dropped your Spyder off for service and you set the parking brake leaving them to deal with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    When I read "I took your advice" I thought you were going to say you dropped your Spyder off for service and you set the parking brake leaving them to deal with it.
    That was next on the list.
    -Scotty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    today i notice that release mechanism in the foot lever do not work...a try a few times then it was OK and i can drive...When i parked at home the same problem...Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Pertaining to the park brake issue with BRP it is called a campaign. The dealer can submit under campaign claim and if the unit does not pertain to that campaign it will not show up. If you have problems after that all your dealer needs to do is call BRP and explain the issue and there should not be any problems.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I found something interesting last week when I was changing the oil andfilter. I had the body panels off on the left side and while I was waiting for the oil to drain, I took a good look at the parking brake linkage from the top. Mine has been hanging up the same as others have posted. What I found was that the little double coiled "watch" spring was sliding against the sides of the bracket that it is mounted on. This was causing the spring to hang up and not letting it shift to the unlock position. After seeing it from the top side, it made much more sense. Took a pair of needle nose plyers and squeezed the spring together, just a little, so that it wasn't scraping on the bracket. No more lubricant, rode it in the rain, etc. It was just that simple! Rode 600+ miles this past weekend with too many stops to count, set the parking brake every time. Problem is gone!