Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Not happy with LED headlights

I put on some LED headlights on my wife's F3, and I don't see much of a difference between the low, and high beams. Has anyone else noticed this?

Plus, I think the oem halogen lights were brighter on the high beams.

I sent an email to the retailer, and he says that: 'The difference in the lo and hi is because Led's are running both on the same filaments unlike halogen where the second one is separate so there is a significant change. Plus the amount of current and amp is less than half that of the halogen so the voltage difference also plays part in that.'

I am not happy with them, and I may put the halogen ones back in.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

What brand bulbs did you get ?? there are several and the ones Lamonster garage is selling are said to be the best. Don't have any myself but many do and love them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which ones did you buy?
    I've see Lamonster's bulbs in action, and they really make a nice difference.
    i've got TricLEDS bulbs in my bike, and they also do a great job...
    Was the installation done correctly?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I put on some LED headlights on my wife's F3, and I don't see much of a difference between the low, and high beams. Has anyone else noticed this?

I sent an email to the retailer, and he says that: 'The difference in the lo and hi is because Led's are running both on the same filaments unlike halogen where the second one is separate so there is a significant change. Plus the amount of current and amp is less than half that of the halogen so the voltage difference also plays part in that.'

I have refrained from posting negatives about LED headlight bulbs as to not piss on anyone's parade. But It is time to tell the truth about led headlight bulbs.

Your halogen bulb generates light 360 degrees around the entire bulb. This light is amplified and focused by the reflector. In turn the reflector focuses the light into the projector beam lens.

No led bulb I have yet tested or seen has led elements that generate light 360 degrees. look at all of the bulbs. Some have leds on the top and or bottom, none have led elements all around the bulb. This is why led bulbs do not have the same beam pattern as your halogen bulb.

It is also why after trying 3 different led products in my Spyder, I reinstalled my HID bulbs.
    HID bulbs generate light 360 degrees, just like the halogens, but are much brighter (I use 5000K bulbs).

I think led's are the future of lighting technology. But until someone produces an aftermarket bulb that generates light 360 degrees around the entire bulb (thus fully engaging the reflector and lens), HID's will be staying in my Spyder.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    I have refrained from posting negatives about LED headlight bulbs as to not piss on anyone's parade. But It is time to tell the truth about led headlight bulbs.

Your halogen bulb generates light 360 degrees around the entire bulb. This light is amplified and focused by the reflector. In turn the reflector focuses the light into the projector beam lens.

No led bulb I have yet tested or seen has led elements that generate light 360 degrees. look at all of the bulbs. Some have leds on the top and or bottom, none have led elements all around the bulb. This is why led bulbs do not have the same beam pattern as your halogen bulb.

It is also why after trying 3 different led products in my Spyder, I reinstalled my HID bulbs.
    HID bulbs generate light 360 degrees, just like the halogens, but are much brighter (I use 5000K bulbs).

I think led's are the future of lighting technology. But until someone produces an aftermarket bulb that generates light 360 degrees around the entire bulb (thus fully engaging the reflector and lens), HID's will be staying in my Spyder.
    I also have HID and will not change to LED until they come out with a better bulb
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR LED ISSUE

The retailer's use of the term " filament " makes me wonder if they know very much about their product !!!!.......and my understanding of the F-3 is there is no SHUTTER like on all other Spyders .....there actually is a High Low beam .....so the LED you have may not be the correct one ????........ Send a PM to Lamont and ask Him about this issue .......Mike

Spyder Garage

I just wanted opinions from those that have put them on. I have a 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie with a factory LED headlight, and mine is easily twice a bright as the ones on the F3 for both the low, and high beam. I know this because we tried them side by side on a dark road in the Muskokas. I kept asking my wife if she put her high beams on as I didn't see a big difference. I did think that maybe I put them on wrong but I followed the directions, and rechecked my work.

The place I bought them, sells them on here. I don't want to bash them because they are great to deal with, and have already told me to return them if we are not happy with the bulbs.

My wife just wants the halogen bulbs put back in, so we will just return them, and get a different farkle.

If the boss is not happy then I am not happy.

Spyder Garage

Like you attitude. Some people are quick to bash on Vendors without giving them a chance to respond or make it right. This one obviously believes in customer service.

CJ JAX

I just wanted opinions from those that have put them on. I have a 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie with a factory LED headlight, and mine is easily twice a bright as the ones on the F3 for both the low, and high beam. I know this because we tried them side by side on a dark road in the Muskokas. I kept asking my wife if she put her high beams on as I didn't see a big difference. I did think that maybe I put them on wrong but I followed the directions, and rechecked my work.

The place I bought them, sells them on here. I don't want to bash them because they are great to deal with, and have already told me to return them if we are not happy with the bulbs.

My wife just wants the halogen bulbs put back in, so we will just return them, and get a different farkle.

Spyder Garage

Default LED HEADLIGHT BULBS

​I have the LED headlight bulbs from TricLED on my F3-S and love them. I can definitely tell the difference between low and high beam. Much better than the OEM bulbs.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The retailer's use of the term " filament " makes me wonder if they know very much about their product !!!!.......and my understanding of the F-3 is there is no SHUTTER like on all other Spyders .....there actually is a High Low beam .....so the LED you have may not be the correct one ????........ Send a PM to Lamont and ask Him about this issue .......Mike
    Why would he send me a PM? He didn't buy my kit and we've had nothing but positive response. Here's one we got yesterday.

"WHOLLY ****! Your HID headlight kit for my F3 would bring light to the darkest pit in Hell. Thank You so much. I can see clearly at night now, I always worry about hitting another deer at night but I can see them now.. Thanks again and the fog lights are awesome too.. I will be spending some more money on your products in the near future… "

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Love my Lamonster Garage LED Fog & Headlights

See photo (need to take one at night to show how well it lights up the road) - better than OEM by orders of magnitude - both during day and night. During day the bright white is better attention getting for cagers and at night brighter and longer distance view. Works for me, should for others.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BeRight; 06-28-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification of better
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Default WHY ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Why would he send me a PM? He didn't buy my kit and we've had nothing but positive response. Here's one we got yesterday.
    WHY ??? .... I guess because I thought this site was about HELPING PEOPLE !!!! ..... But I've guessed wrong before.........I also thought your explanation might steer Him towards your product .....another wrong guess on my part...........I PROMISE I WON'T DO EITHER OF THOSE THINGS AGAIN........NOT EVER ...................LOVE ....MIKE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WHY ??? .... I guess because I thought this site was about HELPING PEOPLE !!!! ..... But I've guessed wrong before.........I also thought your explanation might steer Him towards your product .....another wrong guess on my part...........I PROMISE I WON'T DO EITHER OF THOSE THINGS AGAIN........NOT EVER ...................LOVE ....MIKE
    The implication as I read it was I was the supplier, I didn't know my product and I should be contacted. There's no reason to contact me about LED's when there are so many other experts here, especially the vendors that sold the product. I'm happy to talk to anyone who has a problem with my product and take care of it in PM's or in the public forum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post

I put HID's on my RS 2012, love them but it did cause the Spyder to throw error codes about every 20 startups. HID's draws a lot of wattage at engine start and causes the onboard computer to freak. If your willing to put up with shutting Spyder down for 30 seconds and restarting then go for it. When I sold the spyder I had to explain this issue and it was hard to convince the purchaser that it was really no big deal and it was worth putting up with the startup fails to have such bright headlights. For resell value I decided to go with Just the LED's for my F3. They are not any brighter then the stock but I could not stand the yellow lights so went with the LED's

Spyder Garage

I use the one from xenon depot hid and no code at all

http://www.xenondepot.com
    Last edited by va2djd; 06-27-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post

I also purchase my RS HID's from xenondepot back in 2012. It was a known issue when installing the xenondepot HID's for the Spyders. Maybe they have profected the kits now.

Spyder Garage

Default MIS-UNDERSTANDING

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The implication as I read it was I was the supplier, I didn't know my product and I should be contacted. There's no reason to contact me about LED's when there are so many other experts here, especially the vendors that sold the product. I'm happy to talk to anyone who has a problem with my product and take care of it in PM's or in the public forum.
    There was no question in my mind that YOU WEREN'T THE SUPPLIER, however since you sell an EXCELLENT LED for the F-3 , I thought you might be able to explain why the one He bought wasn't VERY GOOD and why YOUR'S would be better............That's all....

Spyder Garage

I have an ex-wife like that.
    She's not happy, until I'm not happy.
    She also walks on the ground I worship.

As to bulbs, thanks for the heads up. I put HIDs on my Spyder the second week I owned it. I've been considering putting LEDs, I guess I'll keep the HIDs.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have the LED's sold by Lamont. Very bright. Especially with his LED fog lights. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I have LEDs from xeon depot and could not be happier. They are super bright, but we don't get flashed by on coming cars If we ever need new ones, I will probably choose Lamonts because of ease of installation. You do need LED that have high low beam bulbs in an F3.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post

I am using the same HID's in my fog and headlights. No codes and issues for over 4,000 miles so far.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I have heard ................................ that if you put them in upside down you will not notice any difference between low and high.

But other than that i have no comment, except to say Don't call Lamont ....................... Call the vendor you got it from

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 06-28-2016 at 06:47 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I have the LED's from Lamont and they are far brighter than the OEM Halogens. They are also paired with his Fog light kit.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I have Lamonsters LED headlight kit and fog light kit installed and I love them. Bright white lights not yellowish. I heard Tricled r just as great. I guess to each their own.

Spyder Garage

I have the Xenondepot LED kit, and it's bright AF. I usually work an afternoon shift and end up riding home around 3am, almost any car I pass by highbeams me as my lights are so bright. What I will say is that there is no difference of light output between regular beam and highbeam; the beam pattern changes slightly but light output remains the same, majorly bright.