Spyder Garage

Default Paint claning products and windshield treatment

I just purchased a 2010 RT SE5. The paint feels a little rough. I asked the owner if it had been repainted, and he said no, that it was probably from sitting under trees. On the verticle portions of the body, it is nice and slick, and on the horizontal surfaces is where it just don't feel right. i have tried water, bug/tar/sap cleaner, and nothing seems to cut it. Any ideas? Not wanting to use rubbing compound, but don't know what to use. Also, what do you guys use to treat the windshield. When I had a Gold Wing, I used to use Lemon Plege. Worked great. Can that be used on these windshields, or do you have any remarks?
    I want to wax my new ride, but don't want to start till I get the paint nice/shiney/smooth.

Spyder Garage

Use some type of cleaning wax or swirl & scratch remover ( mcguires) for example
    Then i useturtles (ice wax & ice detailer) it is great, use on all partz of bike black parts chrome, mirrors etc

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Clay bars work really well to get grime off of paint. You can get them at auto parts stores by all the waxes. Just spray soapy water on the paint and rub the clay bar over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

sprayway is great for the windshield & works pretty good on the tupperware too.

MelloYelloSpyder

If it is tree sap I have found the best thing to cut that is to grab the wife's fingernail polish remover. The kind that has acetone in it. You will have to wax the bike right afterwards as it will remove the wax as well but it cuts right through it. That tree sap remover is garbage in my attempts at use. If it just feels dirty then yes a clay bar with lots of moisture will work. Use either a clay bar spray (usually comes in a kit with the clay bar) or a spray bottle with water..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NAIL POLISH RE-MOVER

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    If it is tree sap I have found the best thing to cut that is to grab the wife's fingernail polish remover. The kind that has acetone in it. You will have to wax the bike right afterwards as it will remove the wax as well but it cuts right through it. That tree sap remover is garbage in my attempts at use. If it just feels dirty then yes a clay bar with lots of moisture will work. Use either a clay bar spray (usually comes in a kit with the clay bar) or a spray bottle with water..
    .Be very careful with NAIL-POLISH RE-MOVER --- because of the Acetone ....it is very powerful stuff.....I would test it somewhere in-conspicuous FIRST........Also if you need a lot of nail polish re-mover because of the amount of surface ......I would just get ACETONE at Walmart....I just bought a Qt. for $5.00 ........the N.P. re-mover is way more expensive.....Mike .

Spyder Garage

Cool

I use Bug Slide. It is a great product! Use very little and it goes a long way.

Spyder Garage

Be careful with acetone!! I made a nice income fixing furniture that had fingernail polish remover spilled on it. Acetone will bite the paint, soften it, and generally make a mess of things.
    For sap, you can use mineral spirits, naphtha, or turpentine. They will remove the sap and any wax, but leave the paint alone. My favorite is naphtha.
    Whatever you use, always test it on an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it is safe for the paint.
    Last edited by Stumpy6Guns; 06-27-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Clay bar works great. Get it at any auto parts store.

Spyder Garage

Just don't drop it!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I just purchased a 2010 RT SE5. The paint feels a little rough. I asked the owner if it had been repainted, and he said no, that it was probably from sitting under trees. On the verticle portions of the body, it is nice and slick, and on the horizontal surfaces is where it just don't feel right. i have tried water, bug/tar/sap cleaner, and nothing seems to cut it. Any ideas? Not wanting to use rubbing compound, but don't know what to use. Also, what do you guys use to treat the windshield. When I had a Gold Wing, I used to use Lemon Plege. Worked great. Can that be used on these windshields, or do you have any remarks?
    I want to wax my new ride, but don't want to start till I get the paint nice/shiney/smooth.
    Plexus for windshield & microfiber cloth. Miguiers car wash for washing.

Spyder Garage

I just bought a Mother's California Gold Claybar kit last night. It's amazing at how that works. Thanks for the tip. Now did I see somewhere that it can be also used on the windshield? And next question , what can I use to treat the windshield, like I said I used to use Lemon Pledge, but not sure whether to use or not. Don't want to harm it, just treat and protect. Somewhere I think I had read, to not use plastic and acrylic cleaners.

Spyder Garage

I just bought a Mother's California Gold Claybar kit last night. It's amazing at how that works. Thanks for the tip. Now did I see somewhere that it can be also used on the windshield? And next question , what can I use to treat the windshield, like I said I used to use Lemon Pledge, but not sure whether to use or not. Don't want to harm it, just treat and protect. Somewhere I think I had read, to not use plastic and acrylic cleaners.
    Mothers has very good product!! You might want to also try they're Caruba wash and wax car wash soap. They're Brazilian Carnuba wax and Synthetic wax is very good. Don't mean to sound like a infomercial but switched over fro Maguires and is much better. I'm sold on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes. You can use lemon pledge. A lot of people have used that and recommended it in the past.

Spyder Garage

Great, thanks.

Spyder Garage

For the windshield I use this I get it at Camping world or just about any camper dealer Wal-mart might also carry it been using it for years with no problems and it removes bugs.

IMG_2166.jpg