Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar install Question

I have everything apart and I was trying to jack up the 2013 RT to the required height and it just is not happening. I could add blocks to the atv jack to get the required height but do not feel safe that way. I was trying to find a place that rents lifts or a ramp I could put on a wall I have but I cant find a place to rent them in south jersey.

How far can I ride the can am without the sway bar attached, If I can get it to a gas station with a lift it would only take 5 minutes to lift and exchange sway bars.

The alternative is to put it all together and ride 35 miles to can am dealer and have them do it all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post
    I have everything apart and I was trying to jack up the 2013 RT to the required height and it just is not happening. I could add blocks to the atv jack to get the required height but do not feel safe that way. I was trying to find a place that rents lifts or a ramp I could put on a wall I have but I cant find a place to rent them in south jersey.

How far can I ride the can am without the sway bar attached, If I can get it to a gas station with a lift it would only take 5 minutes to lift and exchange sway bars.

The alternative is to put it all together and ride 35 miles to can am dealer and have them do it all.
    A standard ATV jack will not lift the Spyder high enough, as you have discovered. Most put jack stands under the A-Arms, lower the ATV jack, add some cribbing (4x4's, ect.) and jack again. You only need the Spyder this high for the bar swap. Once you have the new bar into the frame tube you can finish the assembly at a lower height.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I don't believe you should/could ride it without any sway bar, but others will chime in here i am sure.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Do as Ron said. You'll be fine.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A standard ATV jack will not lift the Spyder high enough, as you have discovered. Most put jack stands under the A-Arms, lower the ATV jack, add some cribbing (4x4's, ect.) and jack again. You only need the Spyder this high for the bar swap. Once you have the new bar into the frame tube you can finish the assembly at a lower height.
    can I drive the bike with the sway bar unattached or should I put it back together to go to a friends garage a few miles away. Had it up on jack in my drive that is not level and did not feel safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Basically bar only really takes effect in the corners so take it easy in turns and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Lastchance; 06-24-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, I will let you know how I make out tomorrow.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I put stands under the 3 points lowered the jack put 2 4x4 on the jack and took it up till i got the bar out and new back in

Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

You can ride a Spyder without the sway bar attached. I've done it. You just need to be careful in turns. It will lean a great deal but it's safe to do. But I'm hoping you can jack the Spyder up a bit more. You're almost there.

Spyder Garage

I just used regular car ramps. Removed the frunk (not that hard) and had easy access with no problems. It's much easier to work on when the frunk is off.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar install complete.

All is well with the installation. I did not have to drive with the sway bar off, a good friend came over after work and helped lift it with the atv lift. I ran it up on ramps, slid 4x4's and a 2x10x14" on top of the lift and my good buddy had the great idea of stacking patio blocks under the rear tire as we jacked it up. The unsteadiness of the atv while lifting the whole bike made me nervous but the blocks under the back wheel helped stabilize it. I don't think we even had to lift it to the full height, slipped the old bar out and the new bar in with out a problem. Tightened all connections up while lifted and lowered to finish it.

Took it for a short spin to outdoor concert then ice cream and it ran great. I felt a difference but bride did not. Tomorrow I will hit some more curves and enjoy the day, hope you all do also.

Special thanks to Ron as in BajaRon for all the feedback both here and through email, holding my hand and calming the wife during the nerve racking process of trying to lift the bike. Really easy once you do it, just make sure you can lift it the required height...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    I just used regular car ramps. Removed the frunk (not that hard) and had easy access with no problems. It's much easier to work on when the frunk is off.
    whats a frunk? working on 2013 here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post
    whats a frunk? working on 2013 here.
    It's your front trunk, or frunk
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    Apples and Oranges. Your's is a 2012. His is a 2013. No comparison between the 2 for the Install of the Sway Bar.