Spyder Garage

Default What is this plug by the gas tank?

While moving my iPod/Aux plug from the trunk to the glovebox I saw this, it has a rubber covering on it.

1plug4.jpg

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    While moving my iPod/Aux plug from the trunk to the glovebox I saw this, it has a rubber covering on it.

1plug4.jpg
    That is the input to the audio system for the GPS. There is also a 12 volt power connector close by tied into a single harness with the audio cable. The BRP GPS package includes an audio extension cable and a power cable that come back to that point and connect there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Plug

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That is the input to the audio system for the GPS. There is also a 12 volt power connector close by tied into a single harness with the audio cable. The BRP GPS package includes an audio extension cable and a power cable that come back to that point and connect there.

So, if I were to add my own Garmin 660 and plug it into this plug I would be able to hear my GPS through my CB.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't see why not...
    A 660, is a 660!
    But I'd sure want to test it; before buttoning the installation back up.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    So, if I were to add my own Garmin 660 and plug it into this plug I would be able to hear my GPS through my CB.
    If you have a CB, yes. I have my tablet w/ Sygic GPS app doing exactly that.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I thought the GPS cable had a female 3.5mm connector as input from the GPS. This is a male connector.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

So you should be able to plug in any mp3 player or phone to have the sound go into the speakers unless you have the bluetooth dongle and then it can go to your helmet??

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

So you should be able to plug in any mp3 player or phone to have the sound go into the speakers unless you have the bluetooth dongle and then it can go to your helmet??
    Do you have a CB? If not, do you have the BT dongle and BT helmet headsets. Those are the only ways to get sound to your helmet.

As far as using the GPS connector for an MP3 player don't. You have no control over the sound other than volume. The GPS input is highest priority for audio signals and plays even when the audio sound is muted. Otherwise the GPS input plays along with all the other audio streams. The only signal that does not come from the speakers and is in the headset only is CB receive and passenger intercom. Those are only available when the CB is installed.

For MP3 you are best off using the connector in the trunk. If you want player control then invest in an iPod and put all your music on it.

An option for your MP3 player and/or phone is to get a BT receiver to plug into the trunk connector and BT your signal from the player or phone to it. That way you can have your player or phone up front where you can control it and get the sound into the audio system without running wires other than power, if needed.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-22-2016 at 01:51 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Do you have a CB? If not, do you have the BT dongle and BT helmet headsets. Those are the only ways to get sound to your helmet. I don't have a CB but the Sat. Radio and the entertainment cable. I also have the BT dongle(SM10) and Sena SMH10.

As far as using the GPS connector for an MP3 player don't. You have no control over the sound other than volume. The GPS input is highest priority for audio signals and plays even when the audio sound is muted. Otherwise the GPS input plays along with all the other audio streams. The only signal that does not come from the speakers and is in the headset only is CB receive and passenger intercom. Those are only available when the CB is installed.

For MP3 you are best off using the connector in the trunk. If you want player control then invest in an iPod and put all your music on it.

An option for your MP3 player and/or phone is to get a BT receiver to plug into the trunk connector and BT your signal from the player or phone to it. That way you can have your player or phone up front where you can control it and get the sound into the audio system without running wires other than power, if needed. I moved the ipod/aux connector to my glove box so I can control the ipod easier. Sometimes after turning off the bike, the dongle connects but the ipod needs the start pushed. With it up in front, this should fix that.

See above

Spyder Garage

I don't have a CB but the Sat. Radio and the entertainment cable. I also have the BT dongle(SM10) and Sena SMH10.

I moved the ipod/aux connector to my glove box so I can control the ipod easier. Sometimes after turning off the bike, the dongle connects but the ipod needs the start pushed. With it up in front, this should fix that.
    Interesting. I have never had the iPod not start after turning the bike back on. You don't have the iPod connect via BT to the helmet do you? If so, you don't need to. It'll play through the dongle along with the other audio. The only pairings to your helmet that you need are the BT dongle and your phone. If you have to occasionally restart your iPod then I would say the iPod has a problem. Or does its battery totally die between bike uses? But even then my two iPods, 1st gen and 4th gen, always are ready to play as soon as power hits them.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I have never had the iPod not start after turning the bike back on. You don't have the iPod connect via BT to the helmet do you? If so, you don't need to. It'll play through the dongle along with the other audio. The only pairings to your helmet that you need are the BT dongle and your phone. If you have to occasionally restart your iPod then I would say the iPod has a problem. Or does its battery totally die between bike uses? But even then my two iPods, 1st gen and 4th gen, always are ready to play as soon as power hits them.

I have the BT dongle set for mulit pairing or whatever its called, givens me my phone and the bikes audio, which is usually the ipod. I think that it is a 5th gen, which I got for $25. I'm not an Apple person, so if it doesn't always work right I don't care.

Usually, it will play and charge when I turn the bike on. I do turn off the dongle when done riding. Apparently, the F3s have the plug in the front and Lamont did a video of using your ipod/mp3 player with a BT receiver. He was just playing the audio through the speakers.

I picked up a BT transmitter and you can make anything into BT.