Spyder Garage

Default First service sticker shock!

I've read about first service here and there costing $150-200ish. Then 3000 miles rolled in and I called local dealers around... $350-400ish!!! I wondered if they were quoting the V-twin price (needing valve adjustment and other extras) but they said no, this is for the F3. Isn't it an oil change and a basic inspection of some components? I only agreed to it to make sure it doesn't cause issues with the warranty (since my bike has already acted up once, I would not want to risk any potential warranty issues) but man, I check all of it myself nearly every ride!

Never mind the sticker shock, but my Spyder has been there for over a month and they still haven't gotten to it; numerous times they gave me the dates on when it will be done and then they became impossible to get a hold of (service dept "too busy"). I FINALLY got a hold of them today and they said it will definitely be done today but I am having a hard time believing them (plus they said they just hired a brand new tech and I am concerned about whether he is any good with Spyder-specific stuff).

This is a highly rated dealership, not sure if I am allowed to post its name on here but it's in Mt Vernon.

Is there a place in Washington state that is not quite as ridiculously expensive and/or doesn't drag out an oil change for a friggin month and disappear when you try to check on the progress?
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Right in line with Tulsa's prices

Spyder Garage

I have always made an appointment and try to be the first service of the day for an oil change. I also wait on it. They know in advance I'm waiting. Seems to work for me.

My dealer charges one hour labor ($80.00) plus parts for the first 3000 mile service.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Griffontamer, no offense but why would you leave your Spyder for over a month if they couldn't get to it? I would suggest changing dealers or don't bring it to your current dealer until they can give you a firm date that they can do the service.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yeah I am not to sure if this guy is for real either. Leaving Spyder at a dealership for over 30 days for an oil change. I got some land to sell to this guy for sure!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Same Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I have always made an appointment and try to be the first service of the day for an oil change. I also wait on it. They know in advance I'm waiting. Seems to work for me.

My dealer charges one hour labor ($80.00) plus parts for the first 3000 mile service.

I probably use the same dealer as Copperman: Maximum Powersports in Peru, IN. Had my 3K service done last week on my 2015 RTS. Out the door in one hour at $163 total, including inspection and repair of a throttle spring. They were booked ahead about 10 days, but I planned on that. Dealers charging over $100 per hour for service are out of their minds!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post

I did originally make an appointment for a day where I could wait for it. But a family emergency prevented me from doing so; I dropped it off and was given another day that it would be done by (less than 2 weeks out at that point). Apparently in the mean time a technician left and they just now hired another one. The issue I have is that they didn't keep me posted, didn't return my calls and didn't make mine a priority after waiting as long as I did. Being an hour trip each way, catching a ride to the dealership is not easy (and a cab ride would not be cheap) so I tried to be patient. But my patience is running thin and I will pick up this week (either tomorrow or Friday) whether it's done or not.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    I've read about first service here and there costing $150-200ish. Then 3000 miles rolled in and I called local dealers around... $350-400ish!!! I wondered if they were quoting the V-twin price (needing valve adjustment and other extras) but they said no, this is for the F3. Isn't it an oil change and a basic inspection of some components? I only agreed to it to make sure it doesn't cause issues with the warranty (since my bike has already acted up once, I would not want to risk any potential warranty issues) but man, I check all of it myself nearly every ride!

Never mind the sticker shock, but my Spyder has been there for over a month and they still haven't gotten to it; numerous times they gave me the dates on when it will be done and then they became impossible to get a hold of (service dept "too busy"). I FINALLY got a hold of them today and they said it will definitely be done today but I am having a hard time believing them (plus they said they just hired a brand new tech and I am concerned about whether he is any good with Spyder-specific stuff).

This is a highly rated dealership, not sure if I am allowed to post its name on here but it's in Mt Vernon.

Is there a place in Washington state that is not quite as ridiculously expensive and/or doesn't drag out an oil change for a friggin month and disappear when you try to check on the progress?

This is sad to say, but I think the reason for them putting you on the back burner may be because you are a woman, and they feel that they can just fluff you off.

I think you need to find another dealer, and cut ties with this one. I would also let them know of your displeasure, let them know that you will never be back, and you will tell others of their crappy service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    30 + years ago things were different than today.....Because of things that have happened at dealers with cars and one of my Spyders I no longer trust taking anything to have it SERVICED at a dealership. I don't consider myself to be a crackerjack mechanic .....but I'm not an idiot either ...... Other than the computers ...the Spyder is no different than any other vehicle with a combustion engine ......There is so much on U-Tube and here about how to do stuff ......The piece of mind alone is worth it's weight in GOLD , imho.......Take the dealer done VALVE checks ( they claim ) that they charge $ 650.00 or so for ......How do you know they ever checked anything .......Spyderjockey ( 08 GS 125,000 + miles ) hasn't needed to have them ADJUSTED YET !!!!!!! and the dealers know this, so why would they bother checking them, when they know they won't need adjustment .......THE answer is THEY WON'T ...... So I think it's in your best interest to learn some basic maintenance ....it's not a question of saving money, it's saving your Spyder ........Mike
    Mike, I COMPLETELY agree. I have been working on cars since I was 13 (with my dad at first, then on my own) and successfully rebuilt a seized Honda CB350 engine completely by myself (with help from a Clymer manual) at the age of 15. I love wrenching on stuff and I would rather do it all myself than trust someone else (after all, if my machine blows up on the freeway after they screwed something up, it's my life, not theirs, on the line).

The ONLY reason I took it there (besides scanning codes due to it running horribly recently) is to avoid any potential issues with the warranty (if something fails, and as we know F3's do have a number of issues, I don't want BRP to say you did the oil change yourself and we think you missed something and now we won't cover the engine failure or whatever). I think the price is a ripoff and there is no guarantee they will do things right but I thought it would be worth it in case something ever goes wrong.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Pro Calibre in Vancouver is really good, but expect to pay OVER $400 for your 1st service. I did, even after my spyder club discount...

They're not cheap, but they are good. If I had to pick one of the two, that's what I would choose.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

I had gotten a quote of over $300 for the 3,000 mile service on my wife's F3-T. I asked what it would cost if I did the oil change myself and was quoted less than $100. (The same dealer quoted $510 to change the rear tire on my Spyder - $225 for the $185 tire and 2 1/2 hours of labor. Needless to say, that dealer didn't touch my Spyder.) Took the Spyders to another dealer over twice as far away (80 miles) and they took less than an hour to do the inspections on the F3-T for the 3K service. They still have my Spyder as they didn't have the parts to do the seat post recall and had to order them. The wife felt better about the dealer checking that everything was in spec, so I consider that a worthwhile investment.
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

SK Northwest in Portland, OR. charges $256 for a basic service.

15' F3S SE6 owner

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your experiences with the service department. The $300 - $350 cost is pretty much the "usual."

Labor rates here are $130 per hour. They use the "book" to determine hourly times and if they go over, they charge extra. If less, tough noogies.

No mechanic since a couple months ago. I had to wait almost a month to get a new rear tire. They did fix it on the day they said they would though--but they had my overnight. The owner oversaw my tire change and headlight install.

At least, mine is running good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red