Spyder Garage

Default Transmission not engaging fully

2008 Can-Am GS SE5
    During my ride home yesterday I had to down shift hard to avoid an incident. After I came to a stop, I prepared to leave the area. In doing so, I did not realize that I was in neutral. Slight rev of the engine, I allowed it to resume idle, pressed for first gear and attempted to accelerate forward. The engine reved higher than normal and the bike slowly creeped forward. I ended up taking back roads to get out of the rain to get home. during the 1 1/2 mile I was only able to get the trans into second gear and maintain 4200 rpm at a speed of 18 mph. Allowed the bike to cool over night. On starting it today and placing in reverse, the bike revs high however barely moves. ( it does move, as if the pressure plate is slipping or something)
    What could be the problem and how can I correct it?
    Last edited by NativeofFlorida; 06-18-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Did you do something to the transmission linkage when you made the sudden downshift? A disconnect or loose connection will cause "wonky" shifting.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-18-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Could be an issue with the front sprocket, and or output shaft also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Did you do something to the transmission linkage when you made the sudden downshift? A disconnect or loose connection will cause "wonky" shifting.
    I removed the covers and lifted the rear. Started the engine and ran thru the gears including reverse. all seems fine. lowered the bike with the covers still off and observed the pulley coming from the tranny to the belt seems to slip when the bike is under a load. the shifting is a lot quieter than normal.

Spyder Garage

The pulley would be the front sprocket. The splines on the inside of it are probably shot. There is just a bolt and washer that holds it on to the output shaft. Then you have to remove the drive belt,and you can take the sprocket off and look for wear. Do a search on here for front sprocket, and you will find several threads about it. This is an issue with some early GS and RS's. I had to replace mine this year for the second time.

Spyder Garage

There was a campaign (Is this the right word?) where BRP loosened the belt tension on the GS/RSs because of front sprocket failures.

Maybe someone can chime in on more info on what the correct tension should be...

Found it!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=belt+tension
    Last edited by Yazz; 06-18-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: More info...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.