Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

As I thought about this for another minute, your scenario struck a chord with me. Its too bad that greed rules so many people's world. They get a customer who is uneducated on a machine but is obviously really interested in buying one. They just quote you full list price plus probably some reasonable sounding upcharges like delivery fees, setup, etc. They figure you'll never know how much extra you paid them or if you do find out, they'll make it sound like its your own fault for not negotiating better. Good luck on the pending purchase and negotiating a better price.

Spyder Garage

It does sound like full retail with up charges and labor charges to put on all the stuff. Labor is usually charged per item .... even though they save a bunch of time by installing all of them at once.

I remember Toyota offered me to install the windshield wiper blade I just bought for me when I have it there for service. I was pissed when they charged me 1/4 hr. labor to put the blades on (which took them all but a few minutes) .... never went back there again and steered all my friends away from there.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0228lisa View Post
    I like the Spyder and and want to get one. The closest dealer here in Jacksonville, Florida wants $21,400 OTD (out the door) for a 2009 Silver Spyder in the crate with these upgrades I would buy......phantom package upgrade, upgraded wheels, non HID fog lights, upgraded muffler, and upgraded windshield. It can be ready in two days to drive which is appealing to me. It that a fair price??????? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
    South Florida dealers are "asking" MSRP on the Spyder but in most cases not charging for shipping and setup. In my case - SM5 - that was close to $800 for shipping and setup. 15% off add-ons: trunk liner, BRP 1" riser, tank bag, sport rack and passenger back rest, Hindle, and Fogs (no HIDs). Tag, registration, etc, etc - so OTD - $19,500. A little high but that was 3 out 3 dealers all holding their collective ground. Be sure your price includes dealer installation of the add-ons!

Should you want an extended warranty - even the BRP waranty which would be preferred - in FLorida that is considered insurance and cannot be discounted. However, you can buy a discounted BRP warranty from out of state and it will be - should be - honored in Florida.

Have them discount another $895 to throw in the extended warranty and also give you - gratis - a two year maintenance plan. That ought to be worth close to $2,000 even thogh your OTD price would not change. Or, counter offer them $19,500 OTD. You are allowed to negotiate.

Pete

Spyder Garage

Default Ask yourself, what price will I pay for safety

I think that with tax,tags,freight,SE5, and your mods, plus a piece of mind. Twenty one four don't sound too bad. Also tell them to include 48 month warranty at no cost, or shave the cost of the bike. If SM5 subtract $1500.00. I too place a high premium on safety. Good Luck and enjoy your Spyder what ever the cost. I also agree with what Pete is saying. In the end if you feel good about it after the price war. Pull the trigger!!!!

Where in Jacksonville? Maybe that's where I need to go! I don't mind the dealer doing the mods since I only like the phantom upgrade as opposed to the yellow, red or silver. I'm currently riding a HD Ultra Classic and I just don't feel safe on it although it's got a really good center of gravity. I feel that if I had to make a life saving manuever on it I'd crash.
    Last edited by bandwagon; 03-15-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Forget the price. Ride the wheels of it, and you won't feel the pain at all. Those of us that bought the Premier Editions when the Spyder first came out got few, if any bargains, but we're all still grinning.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

My wife "asked" me to sell my Ultra Classic Harley about two years ago. I finally agreed and her brother came out from California to pick it up. I have been riding motorized two wheels since I was twelve years old. At that time you could get a day light restricted drivers license for bikes. In January of this year she surprised me with a 2009 Spyder which she bought without me knowing. It is just stock and OTD price was $18,083.53. Hesitant at first, but am starting to love it. Just remember you might feel strange at first when you pass a Harley rider, but this will pass and you don't have to put your foot down when you stop.

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like the Spyder and and want to get one. The closest dealer here in Jacksonville, Florida wants $21,400 OTD (out the door) for a 2009 Silver Spyder in the crate with these upgrades I would buy......phantom package upgrade, upgraded wheels, non HID fog lights, upgraded muffler, and upgraded windshield. It can be ready in two days to drive which is appealing to me. It that a fair price??????? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

A dealer in Benton Harbor, Michigan has new 2008's for $14,000.00 You can buy a lot of add ons and still not come close to $21,000.00. I would walk on that deal.

Spyder Garage

If you can wait. Check around, I went to Gainsville Motorsports in Gainsville, GA. Give them a call talk to Jimmy (the owner), He gave me a good price and discounted the add ons.
    Laz

Spyder Garage

Well it's a done deal and parked in my garage. I took the advice of the forum and just bought the red stock 2009 SM5 with no upgrades. That way I can shop the mods over time and still have my ride. I found one in Jacksonville for 16805.13 OTD including the tag. I'm real happy with that price. Thanks to all with the PM's, guidance and good advice! Let's ride!!!

Spyder Garage

Congrats again.

Spyder Garage

Good choice... like that red!

Well it's a done deal and parked in my garage. I took the advice of the forum and just bought the red stock 2009 SM5 with no upgrades. That way I can shop the mods over time and still have my ride. I found one in Jacksonville for 16805.13 OTD including the tag. I'm real happy with that price. Thanks to all with the PM's, guidance and good advice! Let's ride!!!
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

welcome Enjoy your .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey ataDude - just wondering... are you a type 1 person or a type 2 kinda guy?
    Last edited by GeminiJane; 03-18-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love the red. planning and shopping for mods is half the fun..

Spyder Garage

It took me a minute but I finally got it. Old age, you know.

Well, which type do you think I am?

BTW... still haven't got the retired greyhound yet... but it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    Hey ataDude - just wondering... are you a type 1 person or a type 2 kinda guy?
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi! Bought my SE5 through Jax Power Sports, and thought I paid a bit more than some other places. Since then, First Coast Suzuki in St Augustine, and Daytona Fun Machines have also become dealers. You might check their prices as comparison for an equivalent bike, or do as I did, which was do without adding the accessories I wanted up front because of the dealer cost to install everything. There was never even an offer to provide the accessories for free installation base on what I paid. Yes, I regret not having put all the things I wanted on up front, but I don.t regret the extra $1500 for installation the dealership wanted. Check the other places and compare prices before you make your final decision. It might be worth the trip to ST Augustine or Daytona.
    Rory MacDonell

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steven888 View Post
    Take your time with the upgrades. There are so many choices on the mods and more on the way.I would just get the machine first. Just my opinion. Save alot of money without mods. That is how I did it. Now I have an amazing amount of work being done over the winter. Including paint. Good luck.
    TOTALLY

Spyder Garage

Talking

good job lisa i'am glad you asked your question i have not bought mine yet so all this advice helps. enjoy your

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    good job lisa i'am glad you asked your question i have not bought mine yet so all this advice helps. enjoy your
    Learn something new everyday on here. A good place to be if you are a newbie.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Congrats!!! I will keep an eye out for ya! My wife and I ride around town all the time....

Good Luck! If you want to ride with us just PM me and we'll meet up somewhere....

- Larry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cundiffla View Post
    Congrats!!! I will keep an eye out for ya! My wife and I ride around town all the time....

Good Luck! If you want to ride with us just PM me and we'll meet up somewhere....

- Larry
    You PM me too if you are taking it out somewhere. I got a pool table the same day I got the Spyder so there's a conflict going on here about which toy to play with.

Spyder Garage

Default is it an rt or rs

Quote Originally Posted by Kariblay View Post
    The dealer only charged me $1300 for the $3340 accessory upgrade - which was his dealer cost.

He is a large volume dealer and I am a multiple repeat customer - so I am sure this played a role - sometimes loyalty does pay in life!
    Is it an rt

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider1 View Post
    Is it an rt
    This thread is 5 years old...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default review cycle trader.com

I found several on cycle trader and used their price to negotiate a better price at my local dealer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, way, way , way old post. So old that it predates the RT.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622