Spyder Garage

Default Got a sound that worries me

I bought a brand new 2015RT LTD last June. Last November, I took it to JohnnyK's Powersports here in Ohio to get the laser alignment. I mentioned I was getting some shake in the front end, and they ended up replacing the right tire. Fortunately, BRP warrantied it.
    When I picked up the bike, they stated that there seemed to be something going on in the left front end, maybe something rubbing, and if I wanted, I could make an appointment to have them look at it.

I've been noticing a subtle sound from the front end. Kind of tough to hear. Kind of sounds like crickets in the distance. It is a cyclic high frequency sound, best heard if you look to the left. Steady 50 to 60 mph is where you hear it.

I went to another dealer and mentioned this. They lifted the front end, spun the tires and said no problem.
    Last week, I took the bike to the same dealer for the 9300 mile maintenance. At that time, I relayed to them again, JohnnyK's feelings and my concern over the sound.

When I picked the bike up, I was told that they rode it and heard the sound. They said they found the left tire to be 3psi low (which is interesting, considering it's never been low all of the times I've checked it). They added air, rode it again, and the sound was gone.

Guess what --- it's not.

Has anyone else experienced a sound like this? Am I getting the runaround from the dealer?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried lifting the rear of the bike, and spinning THAT tire?
    It could just be the drive belt chirping, as it ride in and out of the cogs on the sprocket...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you tried lifting the rear of the bike, and spinning THAT tire?
    It could just be the drive belt chirping, as it ride in and out of the cogs on the sprocket...
    No I haven't. But wouldn't that result in a constant sound, rather than a cyclic sound? The belt is a constant, as are the sprockets. I would expect the resulting sound to be a constant also. It would seem to me that there is no "event" that would occur in the process of running the belt across the sprockets that would result in a variance of the sound.

I've actually noticed a subtle "tremble" through the bike as it is rolled across my smooth asphalt driveway.

Spyder Garage

Default Got a sound that worries me.

I to have a chirping sound but mine seems to be on the right front. It is a 2013 RT. I've had it 3 years. Sound has been there most of that time. Seems to not really start till I have gone 10+ miles then constant. Lessons when turning right, stays when turning left. Applying brakes makes no difference. I blew out the rotors and calipers once and it seemed better for about one ride but is now back. Dealer says it is common. 5,000 miles and still going. No issue except it annoys me. I may try brake pad grease on the back of the pads.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

if we are talking about a cycling noise rotational like...things to consider...Wheel, tire, disk, abs disk, abs sensor, berings, brake pads, fender struts, etc and seeing as you have to be on the ground (wheels down) and moving at a clip consider something being pushed up against something rotating....

Saw pampurrs is having problems with loose reflectors on the front fenders..have a look there...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 06-16-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Ah View Post
    I to have a chirping sound but mine seems to be on the right front. It is a 2013 RT. I've had it 3 years. Sound has been there most of that time. Seems to not really start till I have gone 10+ miles then constant. Lessons when turning right, stays when turning left. Applying brakes makes no difference. I blew out the rotors and calipers once and it seemed better for about one ride but is now back. Dealer says it is common. 5,000 miles and still going. No issue except it annoys me. I may try brake pad grease on the back of the pads.
    It's interesting that you said "blew out the rotors and calipers". On the work order from the first dealer (where I purchased the bike), I was charged for brake cleaner. Not really sure why though. Almost makes me wonder if they were thinking along the same lines.

What bothers me though, is the fact that I was told by one dealer that there seemed to be something wrong on the left up front, and I could schedule an appointment to have it looked at. This resulted from a laser alignment, nothing I had said. I don't believe that at that point I had even heard the sound.

I will tell you, I was amazed the difference the laser alignment made! Maybe BRP needs to rethink their factory alignment process.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if we are talking about a cycling noise rotational like...things to consider...Wheel, tire, disk, abs disk, abs sensor, berings, brake pads, fender struts, etc and seeing as you have to be on the ground (wheels down) and moving at a clip consider something being pushed up against something rotating....

Saw pampurrs is having problems with loose reflectors on the front fenders..have a look there...
    I would agree, but not only because you have an awesome looking avatar!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    <snip>

Funny you should mention that...... I was just about to bring it up myself. I was trying to track down that noise for weeks and finally nailed it down to those loose reflectors. The way the loose reflectors flutter around at speed makes it sound like pidgeons cooing. (sorry, that's the best description I can come up with).

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Today, I actually took my helmet off, went to the end of my paved driveway and accelerated (precariously) toward my garage. I then hit the kill switch, and geared up for hitting the brake. I just let the bike coast.

There is a sound there. Almost a groan. And, there seems to be some resonance through the bike. Subtle, but there.
    What gets me, is the fact that JohnnieK's brought this up unsolicited. As I said before, I don't remember any noticing anything when they brought it up. Then, the other dealer says airing the tire fixed it. But as I said before, that is not the case. If anything, it's getting worse.

Spyder Garage

My cousin has a 2014 STS and I think it has the same noise. To me it kind of sounds like when you're twisting up metal strapping, kind of a tinny, rubbing sound. She's taken it in and they can't hear it. It sounds like it's on the left side also. Will check reflectors and serif any are loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default The verdict is in

JohnnyK's Powersports (great dealership BTW!) fixed it. They consulted with BRP, and were instructed to switch the front brake rotors. The sound went away.

How bizarre!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding and fixing it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    on finding and fixing it!
    My cricket sound was my belt, a dab of grease as suggested on this forum solved it.