Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gustafsson Windshield

I have the Blue Ridge Windshield on my F3. I get a lot of helmet and body buffeting above 55 mph. I added the X-Creen to the Blue Ridge and didn't see any improvement. i'm considering a new larger windshield. Some have suggested the Gustafasson. It makes me nervous to drill holes in a plastic windshield because Murphy lives in my house.

Comments please...

John

Spyder Garage

Buy the special drill bit they sell to do it. It really was no big deal. Measure twice, drill once.....

The holes are slightly oversized to allow some wiggle room.

If you were closer I would offer to do it for you . I still love the Gustafsson screen on my blue ridge brackets.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
    I have the Blue Ridge Windshield on my F3. I get a lot of helmet and body buffeting above 55 mph. I added the X-Creen to the Blue Ridge and didn't see any improvement. i'm considering a new larger windshield. Some have suggested the Gustafasson. It makes me nervous to drill holes in a plastic windshield because Murphy lives in my house.

Comments please...

John
    I went from the stock Blue Ridge windscreen to a Gustaffson, based upon the positive results from folks here and a cheaper option. I tried several of their screen sizes too...it did not solve the terrible head buffeting I was experiencing at highway speeds. Drilling the screen was not bad but something I think shouldn't be necessary when it's to designed to fit the BR hardware. After trying all the sizes Gustaffson offers, I ended up going with an F4 screen and have been delighted with the results for me. Optics are awesome and the height is adjustable too. It suits me and my riding requirements. I've tried Madstad too and did not like the shaking mounting bracket and screen. Go with your gut, that's my suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Love mine!!!!

Was easy to install, just take your time and get someone to help you. I called and ordered over the phone ordering one custom made in lite smoke bronze at 18 1/2" tall as I am 5'10. This way I see over windshield. See attached photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If you choose this option definitely pay for the drill bit. And if you don't already have one buy a cheap soldering iron to mark/start the holes. Leave the mounting brackets installed on the F3. Then have someone sit on the F3 and hold the windshield in place to help with marking the holes.

Spyder Garage

Very happy with mine. Made a world of difference. As stated by others, take your time and measure/mark twice. Piece of cake.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default YUP

YUP.....
    110% IMPROVEMENT with the GUST-SHIELD....
    get somebody to help... first thing I did, was to duct-tape my windshield mounts securely, with the Blue Ridge on... then remove the Blue Ridge... with your helper holding the GUST-SHIELD, make certain it's centered and the height off the nose is where you want it to be - I used foam blocks 1" tall... using a Sharpee, mark windshield where the holes in the mounts are... next, using a soldering iron, I pressed the hot end into the marks on the shield ever so lightly at the two highest mounting positions; press just enough to make an impression... using the SPECIAL DRILL BIT (NEVER use a standard bit unless you plan on buying another wind shield), drill your holes as the directions state... just take you time and all will go well...
    NOTE: I first drilled the two very top holes, the, then I mounts the windshield loosely to the mounts... checking the remaining 4 marker spots to be certain I had them in the correct spots... then, using the soldering iron, I made an impression in the lower two mount positions... I again loosely mounted the shield, and checked the nose piece hole alignment to make certain I was correct again... hot iron, drill...
    takes about 1hr+... don't rush it, just enjoy yourself, and buy your buddy a beer for helping out....
    good luck...
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I love mine it made a world of difference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by #1battchief View Post
    Was easy to install, just take your time and get someone to help you. I called and ordered over the phone ordering one custom made in lite smoke bronze at 18 1/2" tall as I am 5'10. This way I see over windshield. See attached photos.
    You say 18 1/2" tall, but their website lists 13, 17 and 20. Which did you install?
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I CUSTOM ORDERED a 18 1/2" TALL IN LITE BRONZE FOR MY SPYDER OVER THE PHONE. If you click on the Gustafsson web site you have three choices 13, 17 and 20 inches tall. There is a previous post on Gustafsson windshields where the spyder rider EXPLAINED/SHOWED us where to measure the windshield height from and other riders stated their windshield height, their body height along with what worked for them. If you click on you tube on HOW TO MEASURE for a motorcycle windshield it shows that correctly installed the top of the windshield should be at your nose level/height so you can just see over the windshield. I like this set up because if its raining you do not have to look thru the shield. I know some people want the shield over their head but that is a personal preference. Based on the previous Gustafsson post showing where to measure from I wanted a shield 18 1/2" tall for my height of 5'10" so I called and ordered it on the phone to have it made at the height I wanted. They charged me for the 20" tall price but CUSTOM MADE it 18 1/2" tall for me in lite smoke bronze as I was in between the 17 and 20 " height. With the blue ridge which is Gustafsson's 13" high windshield I had lots of wind at my head. With the one I ordered it was perfect for me without the wind beating my head. Read the previous windshield posts and you will find what I am referring too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I made some measurements as follows:

Blue Ridge Windshield on 2015 F3-S Motorcycle
    Length of Windshield: 21.5”
    Windshield rake: 47 degrees
    Windshield height from the top front of the seat: 20.5”
    Windshield X-Screen clamped on in lowest position to the top front of the seat: 23.5”
    Bottom of my nose to top front of the seat: 27”
    Tip of my nose to the top of windshield: 33”

One of the biggest problem is being 33" from a windshield that is angled at 47 degrees. Basically, the wind is directed towards one's head. In order to stop the head buffeting, I would need to make the windshield taller, probably the height of my head, and I would need to look through it, not above it. I don't want to look though the windshield.

John

Spyder Garage

Default MEASURING

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
    I made some measurements as follows:

Blue Ridge Windshield on 2015 F3-S Motorcycle
    Length of Windshield: 21.5”
    Windshield rake: 47 degrees
    Windshield height from the top front of the seat: 20.5”
    Windshield X-Screen clamped on in lowest position to the top front of the seat: 23.5”
    Bottom of my nose to top front of the seat: 27”
    Tip of my nose to the top of windshield: 33”

One of the biggest problem is being 33" from a windshield that is angled at 47 degrees. Basically, the wind is directed towards one's head. In order to stop the head buffeting, I would need to make the windshield taller, probably the height of my head, and I would need to look through it, not above it. I don't want to look though the windshield.

John
    Doc;
    this is how i was told to measure....