Spyder Garage

Default slipping from 1st to 2nd

My 2013 STS SE5 when shifting from 1st to 2nd at r p m's just under 5000 the clutch slips really bad. I always shift in the 5500 to 6500 range so it will not happen , and i ride in the 6000 range that seems to be the sweet spot. I got a rear tire installed yesterday the mechanic took it for a test ride , when he cam back he said how long has the clutch been slipping ? my reply was scene last season. now they want to work on it , i just want to ride

does this happen to anyone else ?
    Last edited by spyderjeffrey; 06-16-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Yup! Mine does that when I try to shift when the RPM's are too low, below 5,500 RPM. Especially if the engine is still cold, or not up to operating temperature yet.
    I read, I think it was in the "Dos and Don'ts of a New Spider Owner" for the 998 engine, when shifting, have your RPM's high enough that after you shift the RPM's are not below
    5,000 RPM's. Sometimes when I am contemplating my next turn or focusing on traffic I'll forget and try to shift too low and it reminds me by doing a slip shift, and my reaction is usually, "Dumbass!" as I say to myself. Otherwise I have no problems with the clutch. The shop was trying to drum up business and grab some of your hard earned money! In my opinion!!!!
    Ride safe!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

The clutch rated stall speed of a SE5 is 3200 rpm. If your clutch is slipping above that rpm. There is a problem that needs to be fixed. If you have the wrong oil in it. Change it for the right stuff. Other than that it needs to come apart and looked at. If your clutch is slipping you should have a "Check Transmission" message scroll across your screen.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-16-2016 at 12:44 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

And now? They have installed a new clutch? Any solution here?

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Bad clutch would be acting up in more than just one shift sequence. But there is something going on in the clutch package. Possibly the springs or the type/condition of the oil/additive .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black