Spyder Garage

Default Blacked out digital screen

Today I had to do some errands in Syracuse N.Y.. About 55 miles one way from my home. On the way home I stopped at a friends house and visited with him about 1 hour. I turned the key on to bout up and I had a completely blacked out screen. The Spyder started ok, I said Hmm, I started out and it ran ok, at least I had the Analogs. After about 5 miles I could just make out the middle of the MPH numbers. But top and bottom of screen black. Another ten miles and I could just make out the top and bottom of the screen(miles, clock, Rpms etc.) by the time I got home, another ten miles, the screen was normal agin . What do you guys think? It was sitting in the sun when parked. Over heated screen from sun?
    I have to go out again tomorrow so we'll see. At least it wasn't the dreaded Orange screen.

Spyder Garage

This happens when you park in direct sunlight for a period of time. I'm not sure of the technical reason, but it does it. As you experienced, it comes back into focus after you ride awhile.
    I've gotten into the habit of pulling out my safety card to provide shade to the panel when I park. At least I've found a use for that thing!

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Some are more sensitive than others but in combination of heat and humidity this occurs. There are slip covers for dash and seat that help but I also drop the safety card even when ryding with the sun to my back....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    This happens when you park in direct sunlight for a period of time. I'm not sure of the technical reason, but it does it. As you experienced, it comes back into focus after you ride awhile.
    I've gotten into the habit of pulling out my safety card to provide shade to the panel when I park. At least I've found a use for that thing!

Pam
    Ahh, so nothing new, normal. That's a darn good idea to put that safety card to use. Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Getting dark in direct sunlight seems to be the nature of LCD screens. I had to prepay for gas the other day because the gas pump screen was totally blanked out from sunlight. You ever notice those screens covering the screens of Red Box dvd vending machines? That's why they're there, to keep the sun off the screen.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

+1

Pam

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Post #2 is the most likely answer to your blacked out screen issue. Been there and done that.

Pulling out the safety card may help alleviate the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Glad you asked this Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Today I had to do some errands in Syracuse N.Y.. About 55 miles one way from my home. On the way home I stopped at a friends house and visited with him about 1 hour. I turned the key on to bout up and I had a completely blacked out screen. The Spyder started ok, I said Hmm, I started out and it ran ok, at least I had the Analogs. After about 5 miles I could just make out the middle of the MPH numbers. But top and bottom of screen black. Another ten miles and I could just make out the top and bottom of the screen(miles, clock, Rpms etc.) by the time I got home, another ten miles, the screen was normal agin . What do you guys think? It was sitting in the sun when parked. Over heated screen from sun?
    I have to go out again tomorrow so we'll see. At least it wasn't the dreaded Orange screen.

Glad you asked this Question.. I have had the exact thing happen to mine on a tour we recently completed. Posted the question over on the RT section. You got much better answer than I did. First time I noticed was in South Carolina the heat and sun were brutal. Heat was touching that 100 mark.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try pulling the warning card out, and use it as a cover for the display...
    It might just block out some of the heat, that caused this.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I place my ryding gloves over my display.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Blacked Out Digital

Since I have an F3 that doesn't have the pull out card, I carry a small rag with me to use just for that purpose.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Pam
    Thank you Pampurrs, using the safety card worked perfect to shade my screen today....... EXCEPT...... My frist stop today was at AAA Auto to book a flight, and when I came out, there was 2 guys standing one on each side of the bike reading that darn card they were very impressed that can-am looks out for our safety that way.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Pampurrs, using the safety card worked perfect to shade my screen today....... EXCEPT...... My frist stop today was at AAA Auto to book a flight, and when I came out, there was 2 guys standing one on each side of the bike reading that darn card they were very impressed that can-am looks out for our safety that way.
    That's funny. It's actually happened to me as well. Some folks on here have placed stickers over the safety card on their Spyders.

Glad I could be of help

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Does the windshield not help with this on the F3? I'll start carrying something just in case...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

They were studying for when they get their
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays