Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3s SE6 downshifting, problem?

Hi guys,
    on my F3 i do have about 18.500km and recently - about last 500km i have noticed that, up-shifting is all OK, click click click and when i have high speed enough for higher gear, bike changes it immediately even several gear really fast. BUT
    when I down shift, it seems I need to click several times, till the bike really wants to down shift. Its not happening all the time, but from time to time.. So now I am up-shifting and downshift like idiot to find out the problem.

I have changed the oil after 2000km then after 6000km now i will do at 20.000, but the oil is already dirty, so i want to change it asap.
    our service interval in km is 5.000 and then 15.000 and then every 15.000 km

did you faced similar issue? can it be caused by less quality oil? or is it something more serious?

thanx for any tip,
    martin

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like the paddle shifter switch is going bad. May or may not throw a code. It is my understanding, never done it, that a tech can watch the switches that are on the CAN bus being activated in BUDS. If true should be easy and quick to determine if the down paddle switch is bad.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you`re trying to downshift too soon, the ECM would probably not let a downshift occur if it was to over rev the engine.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

The appearance of the oil is not an accurate indicator of how "dirty" the oil is. You must have it analyzed to determine the level of contamination.

Your 1330 engine should not be using any oil; if it is you have a problem. If you installed the proper amount of oil at the last change, 4.7L plus 200cc, when properly measured, it should register at the Max point on the dipstick. If you installed just 4.7L the oil level, when properly measured, should read at the Min Mark on the dipstick.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    So now I am up-shifting and downshift like idiot to find out the problem.

This appears to be a known problem. See this link to learn more about it: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1134444

A cracked vacuum hose has also been a culprit causing shifting problems.

However, the fact you can upshift just fine, makes it less likely it is a vacuum hose for you; but this is a good time to be reminded to look at them occasionally as the miles add-up to be sure they are okay.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 06-15-2016 at 05:56 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default thank you

Gusy again big thanx for all tips..
    already looked at the topic that Illinois boy send and on first page I starting to be pissed. Same thing as with frame, my dealer did not tell me anything, that there is any warranty call.
    so my next question is, apart from this vacuum hose and frame, has there been any other warranty recall?

oil - hmm, my 1330 is definitely eating an oil. For 15.000 km i have spend at least 1L. But on other hand i am all the time riding aggressively and in high revs.. Is anyone else also adding oil from time to time?

after 19.000km i am pretty sure i am not hitting the downshift too soon to get over allowed rpm, so i dont think so this is the case, but thanx.
    lets see what the dealer will come with,

martin

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine...I do have to agree, from what you have explained, that the paddle shifter needs checking or a good cleaning. Gear position, oil, linkage would all cause you problems in both direction. Hope they find the problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black