Spyder Garage

Default Front end shake .. for no reason.

Has anyone had an issue with the front end shaking at about 35-40 MPH? It happened twice this morning on my way to work. Needless to say I turned around and went home. Didn't wanna get caught in afternoon traffic with a serious problem. This happened once before, at the same speed. I thought I had hit a pot hole. But this morning the road was smooth.... no issues with surface. Both fron wheels start the shaking like hell, once you let off the gas it mellows out. Any ideas? Spooky as hell that's for sure.

Thanks,
    -Dave
    2012RT - lovin life.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Dina View Post
    Has anyone had an issue with the front end shaking at about 35-40 MPH? It happened twice this morning on my way to work. Needless to say I turned around and went home. Didn't wanna get caught in afternoon traffic with a serious problem. This happened once before, at the same speed. I thought I had hit a pot hole. But this morning the road was smooth.... no issues with surface. Both fron wheels start the shaking like hell, once you let off the gas it mellows out. Any ideas? Spooky as hell that's for sure.

Thanks,
    -Dave

Bad tires or you need a rebalancing the tires

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is not an alignment problem, You may have lost wheel weights from your
    wheels that balance the tire/tires, or you may have a bad tire that is separated
    look for a bubble on the tires, bent wheel ? loose lug nuts, loose front end parts.
    could be any of the above get down on your knees and check everything out.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Thanks,
    -Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Air Pressure

Thanks,
    -Dave
    I would check the air pressure. I had the same type issue and I went through the tire rebalancing which helped a little. Then I found out that I need my tire pressures at 21-22 psi to keep mine rolling smooth. Anything less than that I get the shakes from the front end. Any more than that the Spyder starts to wonder. This held true even after I had mine laser aligned.
    2012 RTS

2012 RtS M5 , Stock Homemade Metallic Silver

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a tire sealant in the tires? If you do and it sets for an extended period of time it can settle and cause a shake until it gets redistributed.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default MORE INFO

It doesn't happen all the time..... just all of a sudden today..... thanks for all for the information.... I'm gonna check it out when I get home this afternoon. It happened once before about three weeks ago.... I've probably put on 500 miles since the first time it did it.... now today, twice in about 3 miles....something's up Thanks again!!

-Dave
    2012RT - lovin life.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I get it about 65mph then it goes away

Sent From my Note 5

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Shaking

It doesn't happen all the time..... just all of a sudden today..... thanks for all for the information.... I'm gonna check it out when I get home this afternoon. It happened once before about three weeks ago.... I've probably put on 500 miles since the first time it did it.... now today, twice in about 3 miles....something's up Thanks again!!

-Dave
    My 2011 LTD did this at odd times. Usually around 35-45 and seemed to happen after turning off side street from light and getting up to speed. Very violent shaking of both front wheels. If I slowed down or speed up it would stop. There was no consistency to it. I did have Ride On but it was not the session you get when Ride On is Cold in the tire. This was after the tires were warmed up. Never did find out why since I sold it. I suspect the tires were bad even though they did not have more than a few 1000 miles on them.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information....

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    My 2011 LTD did this at odd times. Usually around 35-45 and seemed to happen after turning off side street from light and getting up to speed. Very violent shaking of both front wheels. If I slowed down or speed up it would stop. There was no consistency to it. I did have Ride On but it was not the session you get when Ride On is Cold in the tire. This was after the tires were warmed up. Never did find out why since I sold it. I suspect the tires were bad even though they did not have more than a few 1000 miles on them.
    2012RT - lovin life.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT-L did this when I had new front tires installed. The problem was that they put all of the weights on the inside edge of the rim. The tire was balanced in a static state (single plane) but not dynamically (dual plane). Balancing is an art that many tire techs don't really understand. This kind of balancing error can easily lead to erratic wobble like you are describing.

Spyder Garage

Default FYI

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    My 2012 RT-L did this when I had new front tires installed. The problem was that they put all of the weights on the inside edge of the rim. The tire was balanced in a static state (single plane) but not dynamically (dual plane). Balancing is an art that many tire techs don't really understand. This kind of balancing error can easily lead to erratic wobble like you are describing.
    Many tires ago had similar issue. Switched from weights to balance to the Dyna GLASS (not ceramic) Balancing Beads Result increased mileage on tires, significantly. It does take about 5 miles to get them "moving" after parking for a few hours. But for me wouldn't go back to weights.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Many tires ago had similar issue. Switched from weights to balance to the Dyna GLASS (not ceramic) Balancing Beads Result increased mileage on tires, significantly. It does take about 5 miles to get them "moving" after parking for a few hours. But for me wouldn't go back to weights.
    I have had the same luck (good) with beads. The ones I used were almost as fine as dust. Worked well. Only a few blocks got everything balanced.

Spyder Garage

I use Ride-on, which is similar to balance beads except it is a thick liquid product. Assuming your tires aren't damaged, you will not have any shaking problem if you go with dynamic balancing (Beads or Ride-On)

I haven't had weights on any of my motorcyle wheels in ten years since I discovered Ride-On. And my tires always outlive their life expectancy.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the replies and information folks. I don't think its a balance issue, or a tire issue..... Like I said it has only happened 3 times in almost 1500 miles. Scary as hell when it does happen. I just don't want it happening at 65 or 70 MPH!!! Both wheels, handle bars everything shaking side to side.... slow down and it stops.... take back off, get up to speed and everything is fine...... Weird....
    2012RT - lovin life.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well: if it's not tires or tire balance; what do YOU think that it is?
    I don't mean that to sound the way that it did, but you've dismissed every good potential source for this problem...
    Rule them out, and then it's time to get creative!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At 35-40mph i doubt it is balancing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about a busted "something", in a tire?
    (like a belt?)
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-16-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

On a 2012, maybe it is time for "A" arm bushings. My service manager told me that when it starts to shake, it is time for bushings. On my 2012, they were a little loose but never cause a problem. Mine only had 14000 miles, however.