Spyder Garage

Default Prodigal Returns

Hi all, I owned a 2012 RTS for over two years and I enjoyed the ride. I loved the storage capacity. I loved just about everything about the machine, except the fact that it was not reliable. So many limp modes, so many error codes, so much time in the shop. I became completely frustrated and traded it in on a new Harley and have been riding that for a while. Now my husband and I are contemplating trading our bikes for new Spyders. I am hoping the bugs are worked out. We enjoy long distance touring and need reliability. Has there been a sea change for the better in the number of Spyders with electrical/computer problems in the past few years? I read that now oil changes can be spaced 9,500 miles apart. Is that correct? Do you add oil between changes? If so, how often? I would really like to become a satisfied Spyder owner but I'm nervous. Thanks for any input.
    summerdawn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have owned 3 Spyders and the new 1330 engine is far superior to the old 998. I have 79,000 miles on my 14 in just over 2 years and I have never had to add any oil between changes. So the cost to maintain a 1330 is much less than the old ones since the interval is more than twice as long. There really is no comparison they are that much better. There have been some issues with DESS - I've never had an issue - but I think that is the most common issue that you will read about.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2014 RTL and been driving since new. No problems at all. The rear Tire is another story but go test ride one for awhile and you will see why. I went from the HArley TRIGLIDE to the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The manual for my 2015 RT-S recommends your first oil change at 3000 miles. Then you do it again at 9300 miles. As far as adding oil in between, you need to keep an eye on it just like any other vehicle and add when necessary.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

my 1330 is strong, quiet, oil tight, and has been stone reliable. In my opinion it is not as "high strung" as the 998.
    Boy will you be in for a treat when you test ride.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

The 1330 is the way to go. After the first oil change at 3,000, the next oil changes are spaced 9,300 miles apart. OR Once a year--whichever comes first. No valve adjustments either.

Give another try. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not as many miles as Ann, but I do have 39,000 on our 14. I did recently have the DESS issue, but that was fixed with a new module covered by BRP
    I love this machine!
    Some of the changes from our 13 -

No hot foot
    Better gas milage
    Smoother running
    No spark plug wires
    No adding oil between changes
    Long oil change interval
    No worry about overfilling the gas tank

You will not be disappointed!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 998 V TWIN vs 1330

My first Spyder was a '13 ST-S with the V twin. No major problems but I would have to add a little oil every 500-1000 miles. This past January I traded for a '15 F3-S with the 1330 triple. Big difference! More torque, lower RPM's, 6 speed vs 5 speed, no oil usage and better MPG. No valve adjustment ever and no heat to speak of. Test ride an RT with the 1330 and I think you will be hooked!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I just did the same thing. We had Harleys and sold them and bought Spyders. Hers is a RT-SE and mine is a F3-S6. I like the manual better but than is just personal preference.

I too bought a new one in 2009 and it was the biggest piece of trouble I ever had. The dealer finially took me aside and said if it was him he would get rid of it. I traded it for a BMW.

I also hope they have gotten better and so far have had no issues but am only at about 3k on mine and 1500 miles on hers.

I have had Goldwing trikes and a couple of Boss Hoss trikes and I think I like the F3 the best.
    Still enjoy riding on 2 wheels also.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    The manual for my 2015 RT-S recommends your first oil change at 3000 miles. Then you do it again at 9300 miles. As far as adding oil in between, you need to keep an eye on it just like any other vehicle and add when necessary.

After the 3000 mile oil change the manual recommends 9300 miles between intervals. Next oil change would be 12,300 or 1year between if less than 9300.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

SummerDawn, the above posts have you covered on your questions.

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome back!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Not a problem....

If you are going with the RT, F3 you will be pleasantly surprised. All your fears will drift away and you can both tour to your hearts content. The rest of the models still use the 998 engine but they never had the issues the RT has had in the past on some of them. The new triple has longer recommended intervals on oil changes, the semi auto goes 28,000 miles before the trans oil filter is replaced and it has a new hydraulic clutch with 6 speeds and lower rpm's and you no longer have valve adjustments. But in the end it will be that test ryde that will make it happen.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Something to think about

I have a 2014 RTS SE6 with just over 19,000 miles and up to this point, the bike has been awesome. You can't even come close to comparing the old 998 engine to the knew 1330 engine, the difference if night and day. My only concern would be traveling cross country and having a problem where the dealership has to order a part/s from BRP and repair it during there busy time of the year. My bike has been to my dealership now for 2 months for diagnosis and repair of the head gasket. Just something to think about if your going to be doing a lot of traveling around the country and also the fact that there isn't as many spyder dealers around the country as say Harley, Honda, etc. There seems to be this long lag of getting parts to dealers in a timely fashion and then the dealer finding time during there busy time of the year to actually repair your bike that you purchased from them. That's my only gripe with the 2014 and newer models, customer service.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the information. Is there still a preferred place to purchase the extended warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    summerdawn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by summerdawn View Post
    Has there been a sea change for the better in the number of Spyders with electrical/computer problems in the past few years? Moving from GL1800 trikes, without the change to the 1330 triple, we would not be riding our RT Limited. Ours has been trouble free. The few early issues that have plagued the new motor(oil leak, & gear position sensor)have been resolved, I think. As has been mentioned, the DESS issue is on the front burner. I read that now oil changes can be spaced 9,500 miles apart. The manual states that the first oil change should be done @3,000 miles, or @one year. The next oil change should be @9,300 miles on the odometer(+6300 miles)or @one year. From the many post re:oil, the consensus is that after the 1st oil change you should change your oil every 5,000 miles, or annually. Do you add oil between changes? Most 1330 owners report that they do not have to add oil between changes. It's ALWAYS a good idea to check it periodicly, especially since the NEW oil fill amount is 5 quarts and that puts the FULL level mark at the bottom ball on the dipstick. I would really like to become a satisfied Spyder owner but I'm nervous. Based on your previous experience, I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Once you demo ride a 1330, my bet is that you will understand what everyone is saying to you. My nervousness has to do with the small size of the SPYDER dealer network. I ride 55 miles to have mine serviced. Thanks for any input.
    Hope that this helps. If you are both getting SPYDERS, I hear/read that the F3T or L is da bomb.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    SummerDawn, the above posts have you covered on your questions.

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome back!
    Glad to see that you're back!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by summerdawn View Post
    Thanks everyone for the information. Is there still a preferred place to purchase the extended warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Berts Mega Mall--a SL sponsor

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    The manual states that the first oil change should be done @3,000 miles, or @one year. The next oil change should be @9,300 miles on the odometer(+6300 miles)or @one year. From the many post re:oil, the consensus is that after the 1st oil change you should change your oil every 5,000 miles, or annually.
    Oops, you've got that wrong. Read the posts above. Oil change is every 9300 miles or every year, whichever comes first, AFTER the first one at 3000 miles. Changing every 5000 miles is a personal, and costly, choice, and not necessary. I had a 1990 Acura once. The factory specified oil change interval was 15,000 miles, and that was 26 years ago!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your dealer may be willing to match their price. Mine will. Buying local, if the price is right, will buy goodwill also.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Smile

Berts Mega Mall. I called a lot of places and they had the best price by far. I was quoted $579.00 for a 2 year extension to my BEST warrantee and I bought it from them. (626) 974-6600, ask for Page.
    2012 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Welcome back hope u make the move to the Spyders... I waited awhile to buy mine.. Mostly because of money but also to let them work out the kinks.. 1330 seems to have done the trick...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!