Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default spare key for spyder

I wanted an extra key for my 2013 RT, 0rdered a blank key from Lock Pic. com Total cost
    with shipping $13.50 took it to my local Ace Hardware with my Can AM key And about five
    minutes later they had cut and cloned it for a cost of $6.00 Works perfect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about a ink to lock-Pic?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Great....

Online you can find many at varying prices. I got mine (aprilla motorcycle blank) for 7.50. Kwik keys copied and cloned for 25.00. Thing is this is only up to 2013's they changed the system and now you have to deal with the dealer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you have BUDS, you can add keys.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pre 2013: you can simply have a proper replacement key made by cutting and cloning.
    For 2014 and later bikes: It's a trip to the dealer, with all of the keys that you have.
    (Don't forget them!)
    So... This BUDS for you!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-14-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

You can still get a key made that will unlock the frunk/trunk/saddlebags but does not have the chip and won't start the Spyder. Any good locksmith can make you one for a few dollars, I think it is the Can-Am 4-wheeler blank. I keep mine on hanging around my neck when I ryde, just in case I accidentally lock my regular key in one of the compartments.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Cloning?

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Online you can find many at varying prices. I got mine (aprilla motorcycle blank) for 7.50. Kwik keys copied and cloned for 25.00. Thing is this is only up to 2013's they changed the system and now you have to deal with the dealer...
    I thought the chip in the key couldn't be copied except by a dealer (I have a 2012 RTS). Are you saying any key maker, like a hardware store, can make a functioning ignition key? Would they have the blank, or would I have to buy one online? I'd love to have a couple of spares.
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Spyder Garage

You can clone the 2012's and older models. some hardware stores can do it but you may have to go to a locksmith store. Kwick keys here in San Diego has the keys and does the cloning. You just need a good working key....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    I thought the chip in the key couldn't be copied except by a dealer (I have a 2012 RTS). Are you saying any key maker, like a hardware store, can make a functioning ignition key? Would they have the blank, or would I have to buy one online? I'd love to have a couple of spares.
    The spare key only works to open the trunk and side bags. It will not start the ignition. The purpose for this key is just to have in case you lock your key in the Frunk etc.

I got two keys from one of the members here, I think I paid $6 for both of them.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    All Spyders 2013 and older. You can purchase a key online that has the right profile and contains a cloneable chip. Take that key blank to a hardware store or locksmith that has a key cutter and cloning machine along with with one of your working keys. They will cut the key to match and clone the chip to match the chip in the key you brought them.

Here is an example of a vendor selling the key blank. http://www.keys4urride.com/canam-mot...key-p-146.html

Search the web there are more and you may find a vendor that is cheaper.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, just to make sure new members are clear on this. There are two types of spare keys. One is non-chip key that is used as Pampurrs has described above. You cannot operate the Spyder with it. The other is a chip key that substitutes for an OEM key. For 2013 and earlier an Aprilia key has a chip that can be cloned to be an exact duplicate of an OEM key and it will operate the bike. For 2014 and later the non-chip key works just like for earlier years. But a full functioning chip spare key for 2014 and later has to be a BRP key programmed into the Spyder the same as the factory supplied keys.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Great!

Thanks, everybody. I'll have to look into that.
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Spyder Garage

Default Purchased a BRP blank key

So if a person has bought a blank BRP key from the dealer can he get that BRP key cloned at the hardware store too without having to take back to dealer for a $50.00 program?
    i bought the blank before seeing these posts but need to have it cut and was told to bring back after cutting for programming.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What year is your bike?
    If it's a 2014 or later; cloning won't work...
    Do you want to sell that keyblank?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What year is your bike?
    If it's a 2014 or later; cloning won't work...
    Do you want to sell that keyblank?
    Mine is a 2011 RT Limited. At this point I don't want to sell it if I can clone it.
    Will let u know if I decide to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    OK, just to make sure new members are clear on this. There are two types of spare keys. One is non-chip key that is used as Pampurrs has described above. You cannot operate the Spyder with it. The other is a chip key that substitutes for an OEM key. For 2013 and earlier an Aprilia key has a chip that can be cloned to be an exact duplicate of an OEM key and it will operate the bike. For 2014 and later the non-chip key works just like for earlier years. But a full functioning chip spare key for 2014 and later has to be a BRP key programmed into the Spyder the same as the factory supplied keys.
    But a lil more helpful info, the non chipped spare is a , key blank ask for the
    (Ilco X270) most hardware stores should have it. There is also https://mykeyport.com
    That i preferr & allows me to keep the oem keys as spares. Keyport can send you the parts, you get locksmith to clone & cut. Works great for me but maybe not everyone
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A 2011?
    You're good to go!
    "Send in the Clones!"

Your key is definitely one of the ones that CAN be cloned!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wfreysr View Post
    So if a person has bought a blank BRP key from the dealer can he get that BRP key cloned at the hardware store too without having to take back to dealer for a $50.00 program?
    i bought the blank before seeing these posts but need to have it cut and was told to bring back after cutting for programming.
    NO. A BRP key blank cannot be made into a clone of one of your other keys. You need to get your BRP key blank cut to match your working keys. If it is a 2013 or older then you take your Spyder, newly cut key and every key for your Spyder that you have that you want to keep working to someone with a master key (dealer). Your Spyder will be reprogramed to accept all the key run through the reprogramming process. Any keys not present will no longer work. If your Spyder is 2014 or later. Take your Spyder and newly cut key to someone with the BUDS system (dealer). If you wish to have one of the older keys deleted because it was lost or stolen. Make sure you bring all the keys you wish to keep working so they don't accidently delete the wrong key.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

What year Spyder? Take it back to the dealer after getting it cut. If it's for 2013 or earlier he uses a Master key and does kind of a dance to get the DESS module to recognize the key as legit for your bike. You must have all your keys with you for him to program them in. The chip in the key will already be programmed. I don't think the BRP key chip can be reprogrammed like the Aprilia can be, but maybe it can be. When you have an Aprilia key cloned the DESS module can't tell the difference between it and the BRP key you used for cloning.

If your Spyder is 2014 or later the key is different from 2013 and earlier. You have to have the dealer program it into the system.

In either case, since you paid about $50 for the key the dealer should be willing to program it into your Spyder for no additional charge. If he hasn't charged you for the key yet, then he's waiting for you to bring it in and then he'll charge you. The MSRP of a BRP key is about $50.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A 2011?
    You're good to go!
    "Send in the Clones!"

Your key is definitely one of the ones that CAN be cloned!
    WTH no he can't!! A BRP blank cannot be made into a clone of another BRP key.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    But a lil more helpful info, the non chipped spare is a , key blank ask for the
    (Ilco X270) most hardware stores should have it. There is also https://mykeyport.com
    That i preferr & allows me to keep the oem keys as spares. Keyport can send you the parts, you get locksmith to clone & cut. Works great for me but maybe not everyone
    Did you have to send in an Aprilia or BRP key that they extracted the chip out of for your Keyport, or do they have the chips available themselves? I see your Spyder is 2013. To make it work for 2014 and later you would have to send them a BRP key so they can extract the chip to put into the Keyport.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    WTH no he can't!! A BRP blank cannot be made into a clone of another BRP key.
    Listen to BillyBovine. He is one of the people on this forum that actually KNOW what they're talking about, as opposed to those who PRETEND they know.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What year Spyder? Take it back to the dealer after getting it cut. If it's for 2013 or earlier he uses a Master key and does kind of a dance to get the DESS module to recognize the key as legit for your bike. You must have all your keys with you for him to program them in. The chip in the key will already be programmed. I don't think the BRP key chip can be reprogrammed like the Aprilia can be, but maybe it can be. When you have an Aprilia key cloned the DESS module can't tell the difference between it and the BRP key you used for cloning.

If your Spyder is 2014 or later the key is different from 2013 and earlier. You have to have the dealer program it into the system.

In either case, since you paid about $50 for the key the dealer should be willing to program it into your Spyder for no additional charge. If he hasn't charged you for the key yet, then he's waiting for you to bring it in and then he'll charge you. The MSRP of a BRP key is about $50.
    I paid 50 from my dealer he told me to take it to a locksmith to get a cut and then told me to bring it back and for about a half an hour shop rate which would be for my dealer $40-$45 he will reprogram it. So all in all this key will end up costing me 100 bucks which I am not happy at all about. Had I known ahead of time about the key cloning process I could save a ton of money.

Spyder Garage

I paid 50 from my dealer he told me to take it to a locksmith to get a cut and then told me to bring it back and for about a half an hour shop rate which would be for my dealer $40-$45 he will reprogram it. So all in all this key will end up costing me 100 bucks which I am not happy at all about. Had I known ahead of time about the key cloning process I could save a ton of money.
    Ouch! He sure as h*** doesn't know how to garner goodwill, does he? My dealer sold me the blank, at a slight discount even, and after I had it cut he programmed it gratis.

2014 Copper RTS