Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need Help With Outdoor RT Covers..

I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 for which I got a great deal on due to it being a leftover. I also was able to get 2.24% financing

My question is that the dealer is only going to give me 10% off the cover that Can Am makes (it is not an aftermarket) which makes it come to a little over $200. My DH is having a fit due to me purchasing something over 20K and that's all they can do for us as far as a discount. The bike will have to be stored outside because I do not have a garage and will be on my back cement slab. How many of you have the Can Am cover? Are any of you satisfied with an after-market cover?

Do any of you have any suggestions as to an DECENT aftermarket cover that is not made by Can Am? I understand ya get what ya pay for but it is disheartening that the dealer won't do any better on the price. Any/All suggestions are appreciated.

Spyder Garage

On deal but the dealer hands are tied its BRP that has the price jacked up & is going to charge the dealer regardless, just the way it is. You can find good covers lots will probably chime in for bike barn.
    (Fyi had some trouble finding good link)http://www.thebikebarn.net/order.html

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Like you said, you get what you pay for.

The full cover from BRP is a good cover.

I have not had a full cover other than the BRP so i will let others chime in, but the BRP cover is a good one.

(what is a DH)?

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Both the Full, and travel covers from BRP. They both are high quality, and fit the bike like a glove.
    That having been said: Nelson-Rigg makes some pretty darn good covers also...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default BRP cover

I used the BRP full cover before I got the Bike Barn, and it did very well through several heavy rains. It's very heavy duty and well made. I didn't want to have to take it off and put it on every time, although it wasn't hard, just annoying, especially if it was wet. I also worried about hailstorms, etc. Finally, if you add anything like the Rivco flag mounts, a luggage rack, or the passenger seat bag/backrest that I have, you have to remove them to zip up the cover, because it's tailored with little slack. I'll still use it for winter storage. It is pricey, though. I got 15% off mine at a dealer event. There are several after-market covers specifically for the RT on Amazon for less, but I can't speak for the quality.
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cover

Quote Originally Posted by ShortCake View Post
    I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 for which I got a great deal on due to it being a leftover. I also was able to get 2.24% financing

My question is that the dealer is only going to give me 10% off the cover that Can Am makes (it is not an aftermarket) which makes it come to a little over $200. My DH is having a fit due to me purchasing something over 20K and that's all they can do for us as far as a discount. The bike will have to be stored outside because I do not have a garage and will be on my back cement slab. How many of you have the Can Am cover? Are any of you satisfied with an after-market cover?

Do any of you have any suggestions as to an DECENT aftermarket cover that is not made by Can Am? I understand ya get what ya pay for but it is disheartening that the dealer won't do any better on the price. Any/All suggestions are appreciated.
    I have the full cover, the cover fits perfect on my rt. BRP

I unzip the zipper on the right antenna and work the cover from back to front.

remember at the front their are pockets for the handle bar, mirror etc etc

Brp emblem on the cover must line up with the front ,back emblems on the bike for the exact fit

After market I don't pretend to know.

Enjoy

Spyder Garage

I got a full cover from Big Bike Parts back in 2014. $94.50 shipped. We only use it when we travel. It is well made, heavy duty, but as with all full covers, a bit of a pain to put on the . I too have the Rivco dual flags which have to be removed to put the cover on. I keep a (really) small box end wrench of the correct size in the "glove compartment" which makes removing/reinstalling the flag holders a snap.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

There is a brp full cover for sale on FB look on Ont Spyder riders and in Canadian funds.
    bILL
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Default Border Rider

I have a Nelson Rigg full cover for my RT. A bit of a chore to put it on with the antenna, but it is good quality.
    If I park outside I get a lot of wind here and noticed it left some scuff marks on the windshield and frunk.
    I slip an old t-shirt over the windshield and frunk lid, no more scuff marks.

Spyder Garage

Default Full Cover

I have/and use the BRP Full cover. I have had it for 4 years, it keeps the rain, wind, ( and snow when I have taken my spyder out of hibernation, we have gotten snow in April 1st, 2nd) off.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Use Of Car Covers?

I have heard of people purchasing car covers for their RT's. I guess because it is easier to get on-off and maybe less money as well. Has anyone heard of this or have used one? If so, are there pro's and con's? Brand? Size?

Spyder Garage

Default WENT WITH NELSON-RIGG

Quote Originally Posted by Border Rider View Post
    I have a Nelson Rigg full cover for my RT. A bit of a chore to put it on with the antenna, but it is good quality.
    If I park outside I get a lot of wind here and noticed it left some scuff marks on the windshield and frunk.
    I slip an old t-shirt over the windshield and frunk lid, no more scuff marks.
    I decided on the Nelson-Rigg Full Cover (CAS-370). I purchased it today for $99 thru Motorcycle Superstore out of Texas. Free shipping guaranteed to get to me in 1-3 days so I couldn't beat that. I will be getting it on Friday (just in time when I pick her up on Saturday).

You said that you had some scuffs on windshield and frunk. Your remedy was taking old t-shirts and fitting It over the windshield and then opening the frunk, fitting it over and then closing it? Want to make sure I understand what you are saying. If you can post pics so I understand better, that would be great!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Big Bike Parts 1/2 cover - covers from the front of the windshield to the back of the trunk, covers the seat. Well made, not expensive.

Their full cover is $79.95 http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...C&GroupGuid=78

Their half cover is 44.95 http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...K&GroupGuid=78
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Border Rider

I decided on the Nelson-Rigg Full Cover (CAS-370). I purchased it today for $99 thru Motorcycle Superstore out of Texas. Free shipping guaranteed to get to me in 1-3 days so I couldn't beat that. I will be getting it on Friday (just in time when I pick her up on Saturday).

You said that you had some scuffs on windshield and frunk. Your remedy was taking old t-shirts and fitting It over the windshield and then opening the frunk, fitting it over and then closing it? Want to make sure I understand what you are saying. If you can post pics so I understand better, that would be great!
    I take a t-shirt and slide it down over the windshield just like I was going to wear it myself. I only do the same thing on the frunk lid
    if I am leave the spyder outside in the wind. When I store the for the winter in the garage I put both on. This winter
    I had a raccoon get in the garage for a few days and he used the spyder for a ladder a few times and also knocked some lawn tools
    down on it, the t-shirt saved it from getting scratched somewhat.

Spyder Garage

I use this every day as I park in an open parking lot at work.

Been working fine for 3 years

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

(what is a DH)?

Cruzr Joe
    You've been married how long? Depending on circumstances D can mean damn, dorky, and sometimes even dear![emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Dowco Spyder Cover

We are on an 80 day, 16,000 mile trip around the United States and we purchased the Dowco cover for the Spyder to cover it at night. It runs about $95. We have been very happy with it, it's easy to put on and completely covers the entire bike including the wheel covers. The key to putting it on is to start by putting it on the back, there is a velcro opening for the antenna to go through. Once you do that, it slips on to the rest of the bike very easy. It has a nice soft material on the inside to go against the windshield to keep from damaging the windshield. There is a strap that goes underneath to keep it secure. We also purchased a cable lock that we use if we are in an area where we need it to be more secure. The other advantage is there are pockets in the cover to install a DOWCO alarm. We also use that if we think it is necessary for security, the alarm works great. The alarm goes in to one of the pockets and there is a clip that you secure to the bike. If the cover is pulled off, there is a pin that will be pulled from the alarm setting it off.

https://dowcopowersports.com/guardia...r-cover-04583/

Sorry, I can't get these pictures to load with the right orientation...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chet and Marj

Spyder Garage

Default Cover Backordered..Now What?

Yep, I'm about pretty pissed right about now. When I ordered the Nelson-Riggs cover through Motorcycle Superstore, they told me they had 2 in stock and I would get it by Friday....NOT!!!! If it wasn't for me calling them today because I never got an email with a tracking number, they would have never contacted me...Very disappointed with them...I canceled my order with them and ordered the same cover from Dennis Kirk (and it was cheaper!!!)...It will not be here until Tuesday

My only option now is to use an old sheet over the bike and then covering it with a tarp (using bricks to hold down the tarp or if the tarp has grommets, I can use twine to tie it tight). Also maybe use old pillow cases to cover the windshield and frunk. The weather is suppose to be ok with no rain in the forecast until Tuesday night.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it! I also would have no idea what size tarp to purchase. Thanks!
    Last edited by ShortCake; 06-16-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chetandmarj View Post
    There is a strap that goes underneath to keep it secure. We also purchased a cable lock that we use if we are in an area where we need it to be more secure.

https://dowcopowersports.com/guardia...r-cover-04583/
    Most of the time it's secure. I have the same cover. The only problem I've encountered is stormy nights with high winds. Wind will pull the cover off of the nose of the bike and fold it back up over the seat. The underneath strap kept it on.

Here's what I started doing if I thought there might be strong winds during the night.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Tarp

Yep, I'm about pretty pissed right about now. When I ordered the Nelson-Riggs cover through Motorcycle Superstore, they told me they had 2 in stock and I would get it by Friday....NOT!!!! If it wasn't for me calling them today because I never got an email with a tracking number, they would have never contacted me...Very disappointed with them...I canceled my order with them and ordered the same cover from Dennis Kirk (and it was cheaper!!!)...It will not be here until Tuesday

My only option now is to use an old sheet over the bike and then covering it with a tarp (using bricks to hold down the tarp or if the tarp has grommets, I can use twine to tie it tight). Also maybe use old pillow cases to cover the windshield and frunk. The weather is suppose to be ok with no rain in the forecast until Tuesday night.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it! I also would have no idea what size tarp to purchase. Thanks!
    Hello Shortcake,
    I park my '14 RT LTD outside all the time. I have a full cover, but it, and multiple other covers I've had in the past, always seep through some water and are a pain to put on. I have, for the past several months, just used a cheap blue 11'4" x 15' tarp that I bought from Harbor Freight. It, and 2 bungee cords (abt 18" each), work like a charm. That rig is faster on and off and totally waterproof.

The only possible catch for you in considering this option is that I have a trunk rack so I can bend over my antenna and catch the knob on the end onto the opposite side of the rack - thus getting the antenna out of the way. If you don't have a trunk rack, you'd either have to slit your tarp or figure some other way to deal with the antenna.

I drape the tarp over the front so that it comes completely below, and catches on the lowest "pointy" nose and pull a corner on each side towards the rear. Those corner grommets are where I hook each bungee, before draping them toward the rear. Then at the rear, I take each corner and pull it across the rear to the opposite side where I hook onto the bungee from the front. Easy on/off. Tight and dry. Ugly as a mud hen. But definitely an "at home-solution". I keep my "proper" cover for travel.
    Good luck, Patrick H

Spyder Garage

Default More about tarp

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hello Shortcake,
    I park my '14 RT LTD outside all the time. I have a full cover, but it, and multiple other covers I've had in the past, always seep through some water and are a pain to put on. I have, for the past several months, just used a cheap blue 11'4" x 15' tarp that I bought from Harbor Freight. It, and 2 bungee cords (abt 18" each), work like a charm. That rig is faster on and off and totally waterproof.

The only possible catch for you in considering this option is that I have a trunk rack so I can bend over my antenna and catch the knob on the end onto the opposite side of the rack - thus getting the antenna out of the way. If you don't have a trunk rack, you'd either have to slit your tarp or figure some other way to deal with the antenna.

I drape the tarp over the front so that it comes completely below, and catches on the lowest "pointy" nose and pull a corner on each side towards the rear. Those corner grommets are where I hook each bungee, before draping them toward the rear. Then at the rear, I take each corner and pull it across the rear to the opposite side where I hook onto the bungee from the front. Easy on/off. Tight and dry. Ugly as a mud hen. But definitely an "at home-solution". I keep my "proper" cover for travel.
    Good luck, Patrick H
    Good Morning Shortcake,
    This is in response to your PM asking for pictures.

Since I'm limited to 5 per post, the rest of the files will be in subsequent posts. The 1st 4 show how I deal with the antenna - you could also cut a small slit in the tarp. The last shows the tarp draped over the bike (of course, windshield is fully retracted). The bungees, fully extended, are abt 36" long. Patrick
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.7 KB, 213 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.5 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (60.1 KB, 213 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (58.1 KB, 219 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (98.5 KB, 216 views)

Spyder Garage

Default Tarp pictures #2

• File Type: jpg 6.jpg (99.0 KB, 214 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (64.0 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (96.7 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (58.1 KB, 209 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (98.8 KB, 212 views)

Spyder Garage

Default Tarp pictures #3 (and last)

Enjoy your tarp.

Patrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Good Morning Shortcake,
    This is in response to your PM asking for pictures.

Since I'm limited to 5 per post, the rest of the files will be in subsequent posts. The 1st 4 show how I deal with the antenna - you could also cut a small slit in the tarp. The last shows the tarp draped over the bike (of course, windshield is fully retracted). The bungees, fully extended, are abt 36" long. Patrick
    I want to personally thank you for posting all of these pics and taking the time to go through it with me..I know it is not rocket-science but sometimes it is easier to see it for yourself and put the pictures with your explanation. It looks like you at least have a deck above so there is some protection but mine is out in the open. Keeping fingers crossed that I get the full cover as promised on Tuesday before we get storms Tuesday night. Again, thank you bunches!

Spyder Garage

I want to personally thank you for posting all of these pics and taking the time to go through it with me..I know it is not rocket-science but sometimes it is easier to see it for yourself and put the pictures with your explanation. It looks like you at least have a deck above so there is some protection but mine is out in the open. Keeping fingers crossed that I get the full cover as promised on Tuesday before we get storms Tuesday night. Again, thank you bunches!
    You're welcome. Yes, there's a deck above, but no it doesn't slow down rainwater a bit. That ugly tarp rig will protect against heavy storming. Patrick