Spyder Garage

Default Air Scoops for 2012 Spyder RT

Anyone have a good source for the air scoops for 2012 RT.
    A lot of confusion regarding these, and the replacement. Some people say they got them free with a push from their dealer, and some say they were installed free as a "good will" from BRP.
    I only know that there is far too much heat around the glove box and seat on my RT, and every year, perhaps coincidentally, something fails on the bike as soon as the weather gets hot here in Oklahoma. I ride all winter in the cold, and never have a problem but when the weather heats up, something fails.
    Therefore, the scoops seem to be worth the trouble and cost of installation if they will help not only with the heat, but perhaps alleviate some component failures which could affected by excessive heat in the engine compartment.

Thanks

Wayne
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder2012 View Post
    Anyone have a good source for the air scoops for 2012 RT.
    A lot of confusion regarding these, and the replacement. Some people say they got them free with a push from their dealer, and some say they were installed free as a "good will" from BRP.
    I only know that there is far too much heat around the glove box and seat on my RT, and every year, perhaps coincidentally, something fails on the bike as soon as the weather gets hot here in Oklahoma. I ride all winter in the cold, and never have a problem but when the weather heats up, something fails.
    Therefore, the scoops seem to be worth the trouble and cost of installation if they will help not only with the heat, but perhaps alleviate some component failures which could affected by excessive heat in the engine compartment.

Thanks

Wayne
    Well worth the $69 I paid for mine easy install did it myself

Spyder Garage

You can buy the scoops from your dealer, they are designed as a warranty replacement for the 2013s but fit all models.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

It runs noticeably cooler with the scoops.

Spyder Garage

I didn't know TricLED was selling the scoops. After seeing that video, I wouldn't buy a chromed pair. That's a bit too MUCH chrome in the wrong place, IMHO. I like them in the two-tone black - just the way they come. ...or painted to match the bike (which the video also mentions). Mine are the two-toned black and they look nice with the rest of the plastic around them.

As for your question, you are correct - there is no hard-fast rule except for the 2013's. It is my opinion they should have been offered free for all pre-2014 RT's. The circumstances do support that. Here's what I would do. I'd make a case to BRPCares that you need them for the exact reasons you stated. Also you are concerned because another 2011 RT just burned up last month, etc. (That was reported here on the forum.) My guess is you'll get them free, and either you can install them yourself, or pay the labor for your dealer to do it. If that doesn't work out, I'd just bite the bullet and buy them. They DO make a difference.

Additional note... on the 2013 RT, there was also an internal "acoustic panel" below the scoops that was removed to allow the airflow from the scoops to enter the engine compartment.
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-13-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Scoops and Panel

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    .....Additional note... on the 2013 RT, there was also an internal "acoustic panel" below the scoops that was removed to allow the airflow from the scoops to enter the engine compartment. I don't know whether or not that applies to earlier models.
    Yes, the internal acoustic panel applies to earlier models. I have a 2012RT and my dealer made a request to BRP to install under "good will" -- BRP accepted and they were put on at my last service. Like OK, it gets HOT here in TX and I notice a big difference with the scoops.

Regards .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

You can also pick up the kit from powersportswarehouse or cheapcycleparts. I just purchased and installed mine for my 2014. The kit was $50 plus shipping http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...BRP//219800388 It comes with the vents, the support brackets to replace the inner panels, and the insulation with reflective surface to put on the inside of the panels. My dealer offered to contact BRP but it is getting hot here in FL and I wasn't interested in waiting for the back and forth. For $50 and a little time I was ready to do it. If you are concerned about marking the panel, pull them off and ask your dealer if they will mark them for you. Mine said he would but in the end I just did it myself.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Hold on here folks....

The Acoustic panels (both sides) need to be removed for not just the 2013 but any 998 that puts the scoops on OTHERWISE the scoops do nothing as air will not get in the engine area!

The scoop ONLY kit used on non-2013 models comes with braces to replace the acoustic panels..

IF your dealer does not remove them, you might as well not even have the scoops..

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default I would see..

I would recommend that you see if your local dealer would do it for free....
    Besides it saving you $50/$65 of your hard earned bucks, if they perform the cutting of the Tupperware and (God Forbid) something doesn't go quite right....they'll have to fix it.
    I also figure that you've already payed for this up front. This is not a cosmetic item...it's to help alleviate a design flaw and improve ryder comfort which will assist in a probable future purchase of another unit!
    My 2 cents....
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Default Air Scoops

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    I would recommend that you see if your local dealer would do it for free....
    Besides it saving you $50/$65 of your hard earned bucks, if they perform the cutting of the Tupperware and (God Forbid) something doesn't go quite right....they'll have to fix it.
    I also figure that you've already payed for this up front. This is not a cosmetic item...it's to help alleviate a design flaw and improve ryder comfort which will assist in a probable future purchase of another unit!
    My 2 cents....
    I'm having trouble finding these air scoops. Can anyone share a link?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRz View Post
    I'm having trouble finding these air scoops. Can anyone share a link?
    They were part of a fairly specific recall for the 2013 RT's that occurred some time ago now, so there might not be too many available??

Maybe you can search ebay or amozon, or any of the other market place type sites, but if you can't readily find them, &/or your dealer can't or won't try BRP for them, then given that the last of the Spyders these were intended for was sold almost 10 years ago now, and the recall happened more than 5 years ago, you just might be outta luck?!?

Hope you find some, but the chances of doing that are reducing daily!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think this is the BRP part number for the vent kits....219800388

Most dealers had templets to cut out for the vents...If your local dealer don't have or won't loan you the templets there are several sets of "do it yourself instructions" here on the forum...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Old post; however, an old solution is Baker Airwings. I finally purchased a pair (upper and lower) and what a difference they made! Why I tried to go the BRP route I'll never know, but their solution is near to worthless. Running a spyder is like flying a barn door down the road. Baker has the solution for both summer and winter. One of the best mods I ever made.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Old post; however, an old solution is Baker Airwings. I finally purchased a pair (upper and lower) and what a difference they made! Why I tried to go the BRP route I'll never know, but their solution is near to worthless. Running a spyder is like flying a barn door down the road. Baker has the solution for both summer and winter. One of the best mods I ever made.
    The purpose of the BRP VENT kit is to lessen the temperatures UNDER the body panels...I have this kit on my 2104 RTS...

Baker Air Wings, which I also have, controls the air movement towards, away or blocks the ambient air movement to the rider...And Bakers makes a special Air Wing that works in conjunction with the BRP Vent Kit that allows better blocking of the ambient air towards the rider...I also have this one...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever, as long as it keeps the heat off the rider. It's been a 100 degrees + here for the last week or so and Bakers do the job. In the winter I can still ride comfortably at 40 degrees with the Bakers. I'm not as concerned with under the body panels as I am with my body.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately Baker Air wings do nothing for the heat that comes up between the glove box and drivers crotch, nor does it alleviate any lower ankle or feet heat, the scoops and some of the other heat mitigation techniques for specific models posted on SL does completely correct that. Different issues. If you've ever melted something in the RT's Glove box, you'll appreciate the scoops properly installed. Baker Air wings don't affect that area at all.
    The kits were still being sold on both Amazon and Ebay in 2022, though the price is climbing.
    As Larry D posted above, "...the BRP part number for the vent kits....219800388" I have one awaiting further (graphical) customization before mounting on my Anniversary Edition.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020