Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New purchase questions on 2016 RT Limited

Hello all, I am new to this forum and well I think this week we will be purchasing a new 2016 Limited RT. It will be our first trike after 45 years of touring on 2 wheels. We love the many bike trips but want to try the trike experience and look forward to the benefits we think it brings for us (ability to pull off just about anywhere, easy on/off, more luggage space, can switch drivers if necessary, etc).

We went for a demo ride this past week and did not feel as comfortable on the trike as on the bike in terms of vehicle control, but I know that is just a matter of time so I am not worried about that. I do have some general questions though about some of the accessories we are looking at.
    We are seriously considering going with as part of the out-the-door purchase:

• Adjustable vented windshield – 25”
      • Adjustable side wind deflectors
      • Soft side side cargo bags
      • Semi rigid front travel bag (included with Limited)
      • Heated comfort seat
      • Tri-axis handlebars
      • Half size travel cover

If anyone can help with the following questions, I sure would appreciate any info. Also, if you have any comments on any of the above, any input is welcome,

Seating:

• According to the description, this moves the driver back about 2 inches more than the stock seat. Has anyone switched from stock seat to this seat, and if so, why? Did you do so because of your height? I am 6 ft exactly and though the stock seat on the demo ride felt ok, I think I want to get the heated comfort option – but since we ride 2-up 90+ percent of time, I don't want to cheat my wife out of any room on her part of the seat. Any one have experience with long rides in this seat?
      • In terms of arm rests, I think we also want to go with that option also – any opinions on the best type – I see several out there but no strong opinions either way.

Handlebars:

• I am planning this option also – as it won't be long and the wife will also want to drive. Plus I envision also just changing the position on long trips once in a while, just to alleviate any stiffness that may develop. Does anyone have this option – and if so, were you glad you got it? Did it interfere with the GPS at all? I see in the catalog they have a special mount for the tri-axis for the 590 GPS – but do not see one for the 660 that comes with the RT Limited.

Bluetooth

• We already have Sena 20S sets on our helmets paired to a Sena SM10 on our current bike. Can I just move the SM10 to the RT and get the bluetooth for the audio instead of buying the dongle (which looks like a SM10) for the RT? Or – will I need some type of custom harness to plug the dongle into the RT that only comes with that BT option?

Handling

• After riding touring and sport touring bikes for so long, I do expect an adjustment period to get used to the riding difference between 2 wheels and 3 wheels. However, since we mostly travel 2-up with luggage, I have read good things about changing out the sway bar to a Bajaron for better handling and less wander. Does anyone have any comments regarding this option and what they think of it? If you have that option, did the dealer install it for you?

Alignment

• I have also read about the benefits of laser alignment. Has anyone bought new and still had this done at time of delivery? Do you think its necessary?

Again – thanks for any help. I have perused this forum for a few days already and have found a lot of great information.

Denno

Spyder Garage

If you have not yet read the Do's and Do Not's sticky here, do so.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

I suggest you consider trying to work in with the dealer as part of the OTD package installation of a BajaRon sway bar and laser alignment. Ron will ship the sway bar directly to the dealer. If the dealer does not do the laser alignment find the closest dealer who does here. The bar and alignment are the two most important things you can do to improve the handling of the Spyder.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/

I have both the comfort seat, for my size (6'4" or so), and Tri-Axis bars. I do not have or want a driver backrest. My wife is a trim 5'6" or so and does not feel encroached upon by me being a little farther back on the seat because of the different taper for the driver backrest mounting area on the Comfort seat. I suggest you put some miles on it before making the seat decision but you might get a labor break on the installation of the Tri-Axis bars as part of the build up. You are going to have to pay for the stock seat anyway so there's no rush IMO. Good Luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you enjoy your new ride! Also, with JayBros on all points, especially about the BajaRon sway bar with billet links and the Laser Alignment. Absolutely the best money you can spend to improve the handling of your Spyder!!!!! Ride safe!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the laser-alignment and BajaRon Anti-Swaybar:
    It'll probably take at least a couple of hundred miles to get used to the way the Spyders handle...
    Don't let it discourage you; we've all gone through it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Customer service

Just some food for thought here. I own a 2014 RTS SE6 and I have had the unit back to the dealership now for 7 1/2 weeks now for a bad head gasket. Between BRP lag in getting parts shipped, the dealership being busy and will get to it as soon as they can, you might want to consider another trike. If your going to be travelling long distance, and the fact that spyder dealerships can be a few hundred miles away , and the fact that some have poor customer service as other post have mentioned you need to atleast think about extended down time for repairs when travelling. Don't get me wrong, I love my spyder, but not having it for two months while being repaired, and the thought of this happening on a cross country trip has me seriously rethinking if a spyder is the right choice for me. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercamp13 View Post
    Just some food for thought here. I own a 2014 RTS SE6 and I have had the unit back to the dealership now for 7 1/2 weeks now for a bad head gasket. Between BRP lag in getting parts shipped, the dealership being busy and will get to it as soon as they can, you might want to consider another trike. If your going to be travelling long distance, and the fact that spyder dealerships can be a few hundred miles away , and the fact that some have poor customer service as other post have mentioned you need to atleast think about extended down time for repairs when travelling. Don't get me wrong, I love my spyder, but not having it for two months while being repaired, and the thought of this happening on a cross country trip has me seriously rethinking if a spyder is the right choice for me. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

On the other side of this argument ............... 4 Rt's later and 80,000 miles later, traveled across a large portion of the United States, No problems that would prevent me from getting anywhere and no concerns about heading anywhere ............................. You can buy a new Rolls Royce and break down 6 miles from the dealership.

The Spyder is a safe, comfortable, reliable and fun ride.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

15 RTLimited here

strongly recommend Sway Bar and Lazer Alignment as soon as possible.

Also recommend Driver back rest, Bumpskid, adjustable air vents, quality cup holders, and Lamonster's highway pegs

and Lights, Lights and more lights.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My humble opinions:

• 25" adjustable vented windshield - The stock windshield is 25" and on the Ltd, is already adjustable, and has the cut-outs so wind flows through. If you want the optional one with the little louvers, I'd say save your money and see how the stock one works for you. If you think you need more air control get a shield from F4.
    • I had the adjustable wind deflectors on my RT and thought they really helped direct air to my lower body. IMHO a good investment.
    • Cargo bags for the side bags - depends on how you want to pack. You can find cheaper aftermarket ones.
    • Tri-Axis handle bars - along with the Baja Ron Bar, the best frazzle I've ever added to an RT. Keep in mind can't be adjusted on the fly, like an adjustable steering wheel in a car. They're best to adjust to your best setting and leave them alone.
    • Travel cover - Great to have on a trip. Takes less room than the full cover and protects your Spyder from weather and people who think they want to sit on it.
    • Laser alignment - If done correctly, a must.
    • Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar - a must have!

I can't wait to hear you've got your new Spyder home. Don't forget to post a pic!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

spyders are nice. but i have a 2013 honda goldwing with a csc trike kit. honda gold wing is one of the best plantforms for a trike and for touring. if you go to the gl1800 fourm you will see a lot of trikes. but like i said spyders are nice but have growing pains. i to was looking at them but i will for now stay with my goldwing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

On the other side of this argument ............... 4 Rt's later and 80,000 miles later, traveled across a large portion of the United States, No problems that would prevent me from getting anywhere and no concerns about heading anywhere ............................. You can buy a new Rolls Royce and break down 6 miles from the dealership.

Cruzr Joe
    and me too! Also have much experience. See signature.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    spyders are nice. but i have a 2013 honda goldwing with a csc trike kit. honda gold wing is one of the best plantforms for a trike and for touring. if you go to the gl1800 fourm you will see a lot of trikes. but like i said spyders are nice but have growing pains. i to was looking at them but i will for now stay with my goldwing.

Remember that GoldWing Trykes are not factory bikes, they are add on kits, and not every Honda dealer can or will work on the trykes.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    I think you're in the wrong place, pal.

Spyder Garage

I've had my RT-S since mid March. Since I've figured out how to handle a Spyder, I have no issues with it wandering. I come from a 2004 Honda ST 1300, put 100,000 on her. I can now confidently corner as quickly on the RT-S as I did on the ST. Just hang on and turn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe
    I have to agree with Cruzr Joe. I'm on my 3rd Spyder - latest one is 2014 RT Limited and have NEVER had one problem with any of them. We ride 2-up most of the time and truly enjoy the Spyder riding anywhere in America!!
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember that GoldWing Trykes are not factory bikes, they are add on kits, and not every Honda dealer can or will work on the trykes.
    Cruzr Joe
    To add to what King Joe said:
    1. The trike kits' warranty is 2-3 years with no extended warranty available. The Spyder can go out 5 years.
    2. You have to do your "homework" to find an excellent installer for the trike kit of your choice.This is not too different than finding a Spyder dealer with a great reputation.
    3. Generally speaking, the GL1800 trikes are heavier, and can be more expensive, than a Spyder.
    4. Both platforms have their +s and -s
    Ultimately the choice is yours. Do your research. Test ride both platforms.
    Happy hunting.
    Mike
    I've owned 2-GL1800 trikes:
    1. Had a 2006 Champion(solid axle) kit put on a 2003.
    2. A 2009 Hannigan(IRS).
    Last edited by MikeT; 06-12-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I personaly think a RT S is a better buy,
    1: you do not get the over priced gps I use my portable car one or mapquest on cell phone
    2: the hard front luggage takes up to much room, I bought after market front back and side cloth bags fit perfectly.
    The Rt-S comes with the adjustable suspention ride button on dash like the limited a nice feature.

With money saved I would add Baha Ron sway bar for sure, I think it made mine a better ride specialy when 2 up. Kenn

Spyder Garage

Hi Denno,

If I was going to purchase a new RT this is what I would add first -

Tri-Axis Handle bars. Love them and very easy to adjust. We share driving and my wife was uncomfortable with the handle bar setting I had for me so I had her pull into a gas station parking lot and turned the three set screws while she held the bars to find her setting. Took about 5 min.

Ron Bar and shock adjusters. The best handling bang for buck.

Laser alignment. For me it was needed and made my Spyder handle much much better.

F4 windshield with vent. Works great and flows smooth air to the face area when the vent is opened. It really helps on hot rides.

And for safety. Third brake light. It's good to make sure someone behind you knows you are stopping.

After that whatever you, your wife, and your wallet will allow

BTW - I did have the heated comfort seat on ours for a while, but it was to tight for the passager. Both me and my wife did not like loosing those 2"
    Last edited by PW2013STL; 06-12-2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Add
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can get the cable for the SM-10 from Motorcycle Dave.http://www.motorcycledave.com/sena-headsets/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tri axis
    go for it! Easily adjusted in less than a minute when you swap drivers. A tool comes with the bars.

GPS holder, yes there is one for the 660 zumo on tri axis bars. Part number is 219400408. Smith marine recently had one on eBay for $115 rrp $174.99

i suggest you get the dealer to do this pre pick up and negotiate the dollars as part of the deal.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    Handling

• After riding touring and sport touring bikes for so long, I do expect an adjustment period to get used to the riding difference between 2 wheels and 3 wheels. However, since we mostly travel 2-up with luggage, I have read good things about changing out the sway bar to a Bajaron for better handling and less wander. Does anyone have any comments regarding this option and what they think of it? If you have that option, did the dealer install it for you?

Have you ridden ATVs? The Spyder steering and handling is much more like an ATV than a two wheeler. As long as you recognize and accept the fact that the Spyder is different, and are willing to adjust your riding style to fit, you'll do OK. The more willing you are to accept the differences, the quicker you'll become not only accustomed to it, but learn to love it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Alignment

• I have also read about the benefits of laser alignment. Has anyone bought new and still had this done at time of delivery? Do you think its necessary?

Absolutely necessary.

The Spyder handling is unbelievably sensitive to the alignment. I had my 2014 RTS laser aligned at Spyderfest. The next day I complained to Joe and Ann, Squared Away, that it was pulling to the right. Joe insisted the alignment was within the specs they use and suggested I swap the front tires to see if the problem wasn't related to the tires or wheels. This past week I finally had a chance to do that. Now it was pulling to the left. Joe and Ann were in Boise today so I had them check the alignment. Joe said it was off slightly from being dead on but within the limits they use. Had I brought the bike in without having had an alignment done by them, they would have said an adjustment was not needed. But because of the pulling issue he tweaked the alignment to bring it dead on. Guess what? The slight correction, within their normal tolerance range, made a noticeable difference. Very, very, little pulling and more sensitivity to road crowning. I think it corners better also.

Based on my experience today a laser alignment is an absolute must in order to get as near to perfection as possible with steering.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hello all, I am new to this forum and well I think this week we will be purchasing a new 2016 Limited RT. It will be our first trike after 45 years of touring on 2 wheels. We love the many bike trips but want to try the trike experience and look forward to the benefits we think it brings for us (ability to pull off just about anywhere, easy on/off, more luggage space, can switch drivers if necessary, etc).

We went for a demo ride this past week and did not feel as comfortable on the trike as on the bike in terms of vehicle control, but I know that is just a matter of time so I am not worried about that. I do have some general questions though about some of the accessories we are looking at.
    We are seriously considering going with as part of the out-the-door purchase:

• Adjustable vented windshield – 25”
      • Adjustable side wind deflectors
      • Soft side side cargo bags
      • Semi rigid front travel bag (included with Limited)
      • Heated comfort seat
      • Tri-axis handlebars
      • Half size travel cover

If anyone can help with the following questions, I sure would appreciate any info. Also, if you have any comments on any of the above, any input is welcome,

Bluetooth

• We already have Sena 20S sets on our helmets paired to a Sena SM10 on our current bike. Can I just move the SM10 to the RT and get the bluetooth for the audio instead of buying the dongle (which looks like a SM10) for the RT? Or – will I need some type of custom harness to plug the dongle into the RT that only comes with that BT option?

Handling

Alignment

Again – thanks for any help. I have perused this forum for a few days already and have found a lot of great information.

Denno
    Suggest you talk with Motorcycle Dave http://www.motorcycledave.com/ site sponsor about the Bluetooth he has all you need, fact you already have units, he knows what you need to complete transfer properly.
    The others have filled you in on the Ron's sway-bar is
    & for some reason most dont mention,
    but if the spyder alinement is within spec, there is no charge
    So new from dealer should be no problem but just to confirm they got it right.
    (Per info learned from Squared away at spyderfest) On your plans &

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks you all for the great information and advice

Thanks again to all the great suggestions and info. I have altered my accessory list for the new RT Limited as a result of the feedback I received.

Instead of getting my original list of accessories at purchase from the dealer, I will cut that down to only the Tri-axis bars and the soft-side luggage for the side bags.
    The heated comfort seat I will forego and I will wait and see how the stock seat works out. Maybe I will check out the "Ultimate" seat brand at one of the upcoming rallies - they look really nice.
    Also, based on feedback, I will wait on the factory windshield up-size and most likely go with the F4 windshield (tall+wide with vent) rather than the factory option.

The baharon swaybar, bumpskid, belt gaurd, and foam grips I will get from one of the site sponsors and do a self install.
    The bluetooth cable I will get from Dave Stephens (thank you Dave for your quick reply!) which will allow me to use my current SM10.

I also may look at the Rivco luggage rack and some type of holder for my thermos bottles - have to think on how I will do that yet.

If all goes well I should be able to complete the purchase of the spyder this week. I will post a message when I do.

Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Default comfort seat

I changed to comfort seat for leg room I am 6' 3". My wife is only 5" and she feels crowded with loss of the two inches. You will not be comfortable in the back seat at all if you change to comfort seat especially if you go with back rest. The seat gives the operator more room at the expense of the passenger and it is not more comfortable on long ride than the standard seat. The heat is okay on really cold days.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all the great suggestions and info. I have altered my accessory list for the new RT Limited as a result of the feedback I received.

Instead of getting my original list of accessories at purchase from the dealer, I will cut that down to only the Tri-axis bars and the soft-side luggage for the side bags.
    The heated comfort seat I will forego and I will wait and see how the stock seat works out. Maybe I will check out the "Ultimate" seat brand at one of the upcoming rallies - they look really nice.
    Also, based on feedback, I will wait on the factory windshield up-size and most likely go with the F4 windshield (tall+wide with vent) rather than the factory option.

The baharon swaybar, bumpskid, belt gaurd, and foam grips I will get from one of the site sponsors and do a self install.
    The bluetooth cable I will get from Dave Stephens (thank you Dave for your quick reply!) which will allow me to use my current SM10.

I also may look at the Rivco luggage rack and some type of holder for my thermos bottles - have to think on how I will do that yet.

If all goes well I should be able to complete the purchase of the spyder this week. I will post a message when I do.

Thanks again

Check with Spyderpops for most of these farkles .................. He includes Free Shipping

Cruzr Joe