Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Stripped HCM Bolt Hole Threads - Questions

2013 ST Limited

I stripped the top left HCM bolt hole threads. I had the cover bolts cinched up at about the same torque as I apply to brake bleeders, then I applied 97 lbf-in (about 8 lbf-ft) to the top left colt and it stripped out the bolt hole. I asked the shop what they use and got 97 lbf-in as an answer. Huh. I'm really bummed.

The owners and service manual don't say anything about how tight the HCM bolts should be. So I use the oil cover specs and apparently that's wrong. I would have thought that an oil change would be straight forward in the manual and didn't research it in the forum. Yes, it's my fault, but would have liked clear instructions for a basic service like this. Tighten is too relative a term for me.

The shop tried to fix it by inserting a Time-sert in the cover of the hydraulic control module, but it failed when I put it in reverse. Now they are going to try by putting in a Time-sert in the hydraulic control module and then reinstall the cover. I read up on Time-serts and they were well received by mechanics. Hopefully, this will work.

Questions:
    1) What does tighten mean for the HCM cover bolts? Equivalent of bleed nipples at 4 lbf-ft? I need a point of reference for tightening, even without a torque wrench.
    2) When I was tightening the oil filter there was a click between the filter and cover. Does the filter seat to the cover under torque? Should I have done something different? Space is tight and I couldn't remove or mount the filter and cover as a unit. Had to give a really good pull to separate the filter from the cover.

Thanks
    Last edited by Reginald; 06-12-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added model

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

97 inlb or 11NM is the spec I use.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    97 inlb or 11NM is the spec I use.
    Wow, that's what I did and it stripped the threads! Don't know what to do now.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

As a rule of thumb... on low torque bolts snug and a quarter of a turn does it. Best is to use a short or 1/4" rachet where you can feel more. Longer tools will tend to strip or snap the bolts. A properly installed Heli-coil will repair the problem. If the attempted repairs have made the hole to large you may have to go to a larger bolt perhaps a SAE size heli-coil...this happened quite often on the SE models with the different size bolts on the oil filters...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black