Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ShortCake View Post
    I ordered the Nelson-Riggs Cover on Wednesday through Motorcycle Superstore..main reason I went with them was not only free shipping, but, they guaranteed 1-3 day delivery. I called yesterday because I never received a confirmation email with tracking number. Thank goodness I did! They told me the cover was out of stock and a new estimated delivery of next week was given. I was pissed and told them that it's fine and dandy "BUT" your customer service stinks!! If I would have never called, I would have been sitting here waiting for my cover just for it not to be delivered. I canceled my order with them immediately. I went ahead and ordered the same cover with Dennis Kirk and it was actually cheaper for the same cover! I am still not going to get it until next week

I am up for suggestions. I was thinking of using an old sheet along with pillow cases to go over the frunk and windshield and then buying a cheap tarp to go over that. Some have suggested that I should just leave it unprotected until I get the cover, for these machines are fine out in the elements (rain and heat/sun here this time of year). I live in a townhome so there are kids around here. I know that if I was a kid and saw a pretty yellow machine out in the open, I'd wanna touch it or sit on it, therefore, covering it is a priority at this point. Thanks in advance if ya have any tips or suggestions
    You could always just rent a storage unit or have one of those P.O.D.'s delivered? Or, gather a few refrigerator boxes and setup a perimeter around it.

Probably not the best suggestions, but I wanted to at least make a contribution.

On a serious note, hope all works out!!!
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

FYI, I was the one who enjoyed a Bike Barn that collapsed due to snow.

I've had a barn since 2011. Same aluminum frame, but I bought a replacement cover in 2015. I found that my first cover got brittle over time in the sunlight (read: easy to poke holes through, but you can patch with tent repair kit), plus it gets a little ganky (is that a word?) on the outside with dirt/mold/etc.

That said, it's still the easiest and fastest way to cover the Spyder in a driveway-- lift it up, pull it down, easy-peasy. Plus, even with Spyder parked there's still room under the barn, so I've kept a little plastic garden box with miscellaneous items, cleaning materials, my bike lift, etc.

RE: the "heater" sold by Bike Barn-- that's just for dehumidification, it won't warm the actual Barn at all. I had that heater for years, but eventually it died, and I've simply gone without it since, and haven't noticed any issues *inside* the Barn. I just always keep the roof vents velcroed open, everything stays fine under it. If you want to put a space heater under there in the winter, YMMV.

Bottom line: it's well worth the price, but it'll never be as good as an actual garage, so manage your expectations accordingly!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    FYI, I was the one who enjoyed a Bike Barn that collapsed due to snow.

I've had a barn since 2011. Same aluminum frame, but I bought a replacement cover in 2015. I found that my first cover got brittle over time in the sunlight (read: easy to poke holes through, but you can patch with tent repair kit), plus it gets a little ganky (is that a word?) on the outside with dirt/mold/etc.

That said, it's still the easiest and fastest way to cover the Spyder in a driveway-- lift it up, pull it down, easy-peasy. Plus, even with Spyder parked there's still room under the barn, so I've kept a little plastic garden box with miscellaneous items, cleaning materials, my bike lift, etc.

RE: the "heater" sold by Bike Barn-- that's just for dehumidification, it won't warm the actual Barn at all. I had that heater for years, but eventually it died, and I've simply gone without it since, and haven't noticed any issues *inside* the Barn. I just always keep the roof vents velcroed open, everything stays fine under it. If you want to put a space heater under there in the winter, YMMV.

Bottom line: it's well worth the price, but it'll never be as good as an actual garage, so manage your expectations accordingly!
    I'm sorry but I am not sure who you are talking to with the above suggestion/post. I know "lizmcg" was mentioning in my thread about a humidifier and heater in a bike barn, but, I mentioned several times in this thread that I cannot use anything like a bike barn due to me being in a townhome. It is not permissible here.

In the meantime until I get my full cover, I am looking for suggestions as to how to cover the bike until it gets here (a sheet then a tarp over it was my suggestion). The bike has to be totally covered due to kids in my development (I would not be surprised that if I left it without any protection, kids would swarm around it and even possibly touch and sit on the bike).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a portable storage garage, used it for years, never had an issue with snow load, perhaps due to placement, was beside the fence, and also covered by the garage( not mine) and another storage . Worked good for years till a portinn of the roof rotted away. Eventually gave the thing ( frame only ) to a couple that wanted a Gazebo type unit ( made their own covering ) and used it for their 25 wedding anniversary. SO THEY DO WORK , and I live in an Igloo >>>> NYUK NYUK

Spyder Garage

Default Another reason for covering your Spyder

If any of you have neighborhood cats, a cover is needed as they love to sit on the seat and sharpen their claws. The small travel cover has room for a cat to get under so I added extra lightweight straps to the sides and cinch it down so they can't get under. The large full sized cover is tempting for them to sit on top of it and, yes, sharpen their claws. A piece of plastic tablecloth cut to cover the center of the cover an attached with plastic clamps at the bottom creates an unpleasant surface.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE...

I have been pleasantly surprised with the Nelson-Rigg full cover I purchased with no issues whatsoever..I did purchase 2 bungee cords to attach to the front where there are 2 grommets and that has helped tremendously when the wind picks up. I also used a suggestion that a fellow spyderlover mentioned: This specific cover causes some scratches on the frunk and trunk area and I have therefore used an old pillow case (cut-to-fit) for the trunk and an old fitted-sheet over the windshield which flows over the frunk. No scratches to be seen.
    Enjoying my RT with no issues at all (knock on wood) and my favorite time of year to ride has arrived

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that your solution seems to be working just fine!
    But you could also keep an eye out for Garage Space, that's for rent in your area...
    Nothing beats a climate-controlled environment; when the temperatures start dropping.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Default Barn storage

Shortcake, have you thought about asking around at the Amish farms to see if one would be willing to "rent" you some space in one of their barns? My husband use to rent a small space in a barn for his boat.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default storage suggestions

I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 leftover with a deep discount at the dealer. In fact, the bike is still in the warehouse in the box! Anyway, my main question is for those that do NOT have a garage.

I live in a townhome with a cul-de-sac. We have assigned parking spaces but with the kids here, ect. I do not trust it out there with a cover. During the riding season, I do plan on keeping it on my back porch (which is a cement pad). Call me crazy, but I have not ridden in a couple years and miss 2 wheels. With having a bad knee, I am now at the mercy of 3-wheels and I do not want to wait any longer, for life is passing me by while I see myself continuing to say "next year". Even with a decent amount down, I will have a monthly payment close to the same as my SUV along with insurance. A storage unit monthly is NOT in my budget.

Is there anyone here that keeps their spyder outside with a high quality cover? What do you do in the winter? Any/all suggestions are appreciated

Thanks!
    If it's still in the crate, and you're not in a hurry to take possession, have the dealer keep it in the crate in their warehouse over the winter. Give them a build and delivery to you date in the Spring and at least for this year your problem is solved. Most dealers that you purchase from will store over the winter for no or a small fee. Then start asking your friends if they have a storage space you might rent for the winter for next year. There are also bike barn awning structures that others have used for outdoor storage. Or you could get a prefab shed from Lowe's to park in your back yard.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Winter Storage suggestion

Check with your insurance company, to see what they say. They might have winter storage plans. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    Here's something I saw recently. Another option for sure.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/re...FUQvgQodG4UOYw
    Is that big enough for the can am. I'm having the same issue. We have a driveway landlord won't allow for a shed so I'm looking for options of cover but the bike barn looks AMAZING!

Spyder Garage

When I hear of a budget too tight to rent storage space I can identify with the sentiment. I was too short to buy the Spyder in the first place. I might get some laughs out of this but I drive Uber to make my Spyder payments. At least until we sell a home we have in Texas. Drive Uber a few evenings per month and you can afford to rent a storage unit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingman View Post
    When I hear of a budget too tight to rent storage space I can identify with the sentiment. I was too short to buy the Spyder in the first place. I might get some laughs out of this but I drive Uber to make my Spyder payments. At least until we sell a home we have in Texas. Drive Uber a few evenings per month and you can afford to rent a storage unit.
    I won't laugh at that! I have friends that make decent money on the side driving for Uber. Interesting story: my husband was on a business trip in Rhode Island a couple of months ago and the Uber driver that picked them up was the CEO of a huge corporation; he did it for the relaxation. But the funny thing was he drove a Tesla SUV to pick up his riders. He would put it on auto-pilot, kick back, and have conversations.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    I won't laugh at that! I have friends that make decent money on the side driving for Uber. Interesting story: my husband was on a business trip in Rhode Island a couple of months ago and the Uber driver that picked them up was the CEO of a huge corporation; he did it for the relaxation. But the funny thing was he drove a Tesla SUV to pick up his riders. He would put it on auto-pilot, kick back, and have conversations.
    Brettssunshine, thanks for the comment. Actually I not only make extra money, I get interaction with a lot of great people. On very rare occasions I get a jerk, but in almost 6 months I could number the jerks on one hand.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sunshine... I like your signature picture!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thank you!

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Easy now Bob.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to consider finding a garage, most will rent space for winter as long as its not a in and out use. Just check with your insurance to see if they will cover this type of storage should there be a claim for anything.

Spyder Garage

Just a note here: The Nelson Rigg cover in no way can be compared to the Heavy duty BRP outdoor cover. the Nelson Rigg is only light nylon and will not give you much protection. ( $74.00 @ Cycle Gear) I have one and use it only for travel. Packs very small and easy to use.

The BRP Custom outdoor vehicle cover is 300-denier polyester. and costs $229.99. Part #219400173. I had one and was going to store at the house but the garage was full. Very heavy duty and breathable. (no mildew).
    I decided shortly there after to store the RTL at my hanger and sold it to another Spyderlover on here.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP's full-cover is a really substantial hunk of materials...
    It probably IS worth every penny that it costs.

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!

I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 leftover with a deep discount at the dealer. In fact, the bike is still in the warehouse in the box! Anyway, my main question is for those that do NOT have a garage. I live in a townhome with a cul-de-sac. We have assigned parking spaces but with the kids here, ect. I do not trust it out there with a cover. During the riding season, I do plan on keeping it on my back porch (which is a cement pad). Call me crazy, but I have not ridden in a couple years and miss 2 wheels. With having a bad knee, I am now at the mercy of 3-wheels and I do not want to wait any longer, for life is passing me by while I see myself continuing to say "next year". Even with a decent amount down, I will have a monthly payment close to the same as my SUV along with insurance. A storage unit monthly is NOT in my budget. Is there anyone here that keeps their spyder outside with a high quality cover? What do you do in the winter? Any/all suggestions are appreciated
    Thanks!
    Congratulations! My hips (one replaced so far) and knees made me give up my Honda Shadow Aero and get a 2014 ST Limited last July on sale (new) at a remarkably reduced/negotiated price. You WILL enjoy your new bike!
    I also do not have a garage. I purchased a top-of-the-line cover (not BRP) and that is all I use during riding season. I keep the bike as close to the house as possible, with one of our two vehicles "somewhat" blocking the view of the bike. Hastle free.
    Winter ... read the Owner's Manual, and add on these: Fill the tank with Premium fuel; Stuff the engine area, under the seat area, truck and exhaust pipe(s) with dryer sheets ... mice hate those. Once the bike is covered with your summer cover, place another inexpensive plastic cover over that and securely snug up the sides.
    Undoubtedly others on this Forum will have other tips and tricks.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I see you live in Virginia and I am in PA, therefore, we know how the winters can be out this way. My concern of storing my bike in the winter months outside would be the crazy temperature changes we have here along with possibility of hoses, belts. ect cracking. Removing the battery and so-called "winterizing" the bike with fuel stabilizer seems simple enough. It is some of the other weather-related things I would be concerned with.

I have never removed a battery from any of my bikes. I don't use a battery tender or trickle charger, either. If the bike doesn't fire up in the spring, I use a battery charger.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

I was able to find storage..see my post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Insurance-Etc

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same position as you now also. Originally, I moved my car out of my garage and put the Spyder there. I traded my Camaro for a much nicer car and now the Spyder is sitting outside. I was freaking the first time it got rained on, but it is what it is. We have the half cover and I'm going to get the full cover this weekend.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post
    I'm in the same position as you now also. Originally, I moved my car out of my garage and put the Spyder there. I traded my Camaro for a much nicer car and now the Spyder is sitting outside. I was freaking the first time it got rained on, but it is what it is. We have the half cover and I'm going to get the full cover this weekend.
    I use/and have a full cover on my spyder. I have had it for 4 years, and my spyder is outside in the summer. In the winter I store it @ at dealership and I use the full cover @the dealership.

The full cover is tough, water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester. The 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection while trailering or outdoor storing. Includes integrated exhaust panel and protective flannel windshield liner. Easy attach system secures cover in all trailing conditions. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD