Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Storage Suggestions If No Garage...

I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 leftover with a deep discount at the dealer. In fact, the bike is still in the warehouse in the box! Anyway, my main question is for those that do NOT have a garage.

I live in a townhome with a cul-de-sac. We have assigned parking spaces but with the kids here, ect. I do not trust it out there with a cover. During the riding season, I do plan on keeping it on my back porch (which is a cement pad). Call me crazy, but I have not ridden in a couple years and miss 2 wheels. With having a bad knee, I am now at the mercy of 3-wheels and I do not want to wait any longer, for life is passing me by while I see myself continuing to say "next year". Even with a decent amount down, I will have a monthly payment close to the same as my SUV along with insurance. A storage unit monthly is NOT in my budget.

Is there anyone here that keeps their spyder outside with a high quality cover? What do you do in the winter? Any/all suggestions are appreciated

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Will they allow a portable building to cover the Spyder up?

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Bike Barn

I bought a Bike Barn (http://www.thebikebarn.net/model_trike.html), and I'm very pleased with it. They make a trike size that fits my RTS with about 6-8 inches on each side and plenty of room back to front. It's very sturdy and the canvas is heavy. Most people put down plywood, but I just put in 8 12-inch spikes in my gravel driveway. The front tires of the Spyder rest on the anchor plates for extra stability. Costs $450 plus $55 UPS and arrives in about a week (US east coast).

Attached Images Attached Images
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Spyder Garage

Default Bike Barn 2

As far as winter is concerned, the Barn is rated for about 75 lbs of snow, but you have to sweep it off if it's accumulating (see the FAQ page on their website). Somebody posted awhile ago that they didn't do that once, and it collapsed but wasn't actually damaged (nor was their Spyder, if I remember correctly). Oh, and I'm a 68-year-old woman and I assembled it by myself.

And
    Last edited by lizmcg; 06-11-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    As far as winter is concerned, the Barn is rated for about 75 lbs of snow, but you have to sweep it off if it's accumulating (see the FAQ page on their website). Somebody posted awhile ago that they didn't do that once, and it collapsed but wasn't actually damaged (nor was their Spyder, if I remember correctly). Oh, and I'm a 68-year-old woman and I assembled it by myself.

And

Thanks for the info. I see you live in Virginia and I am in PA, therefore, we know how the winters can be out this way. My concern of storing my bike in the winter months outside would be the crazy temperature changes we have here along with possibility of hoses, belts. ect cracking. Removing the battery and so-called "winterizing" the bike with fuel stabilizer seems simple enough. It is some of the other weather-related things I would be concerned with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got a Cycle Cabana on a tarp in the back yard. It's rather similar to the Bike Barn. Has the same problems with snow so I plan to see if I can pay the local dealership to store the bike for me this winter. Last winter the dealer who sold it to me kept it in his garage as part of the deal.

I also have the heavy Can-Am outdoor cover and it does a very good job of keeping the bike dry. I also use S100 brand corrosion inhibitor.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-11-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Winter worries

Quote Originally Posted by ShortCake View Post

My concern of storing my bike in the winter months outside would be the crazy temperature changes we have here along with possibility of hoses, belts. ect cracking. Removing the battery and so-called "winterizing" the bike with fuel stabilizer seems simple enough. It is some of the other weather-related things I would be concerned with.
    I know. My dealer doesn't have room to store bikes, but I'm thinking of asking other dealerships of other brands if they might, or I might try to find a temperature-controlled self-storage place with electricity for a battery tender. I also have the BRP full cover, and I'll use that, too. Meanwhile, the Bike Barn gives me some peace of mind and protection from pretty much everything, not to mention convenience compared to the cover. Also, the cover wouldn't let me use the flag mounts or the passenger seat bag/backrest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can't find another dealer who offers storage space for the Winter: the Bike Barn is your next "best bet"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Be for you spend a dime, better check your tonwhouse cc&r's I can not believe they will let you put anything other thana full cover on bike. I know budgets tight but go on line for a small storage unit with a roll up door.
    You will find very different prices on same size, it depends on location some are kind of resalable.
    I think you are buyingthe best bike RT S great features. I do not think limited is a good price because of luggage & gps
    Good luck Kenn

Spyder Garage

I cover my spyder in the summer with a BRP full cover,( it is made of Tough water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester. The 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection) I have the full cover for 4 years. I keep my spyder in my driveway during the summer.

In the Winter I have my spyder stored at a Dealership. ( From Oct. to April)

I live in VT.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, the bike barn looks interesting for the riding season, but for the off months, I think I'd seek out a friend with some space or some option of a sturdy building. Ice, sleet, snow, wet snow/rain....well you guys know how that goes...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I cover my spyder in the summer with a BRP full cover,( it is made of Tough water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester. The 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection) I have the full cover for 4 years. I keep my spyder in my driveway during the summer.

In the Winter I have my spyder stored at a Dealership. ( From Oct. to April)

I live in VT.

Deanna

When you have time, could you post a pic of the cover on the bike? Also, do you remember about how much you spent? I am hoping that the dealer gives me a discount on the cover.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Is there anyone willing to show me the cover on their bike and how much they paid (average)?

I was also curious as to how many of you just throw a cheap tarp over it when you KNOW you are going to ride it day in and day out? I was thinking of doing this because it would cut-out the time consuming labor or constantly putting the full cover on and off daily. Then when you know it's going to be sitting or raining, the full cover would then be called for. Just not sure if anyone does this.

Spyder Garage

We bought the partial cover to use on ours, but we do have a parking garage in our building. It is easy to put on/take off and folds into an attached zip bag. It's about 7" x 8" folded up and fits easily into any of the compartments. I don't have a pic with it on our bike, but it looks exactly like you see in the pic on the revzilla site.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...torcycle-cover

If the dealer doesn't throw in a full cover, you can find them on Amazon for under $100 and one of the sites sponsors has a really nice looking one too.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Ul...erRTCover.aspx

In my opinion, either cover option would be money better spent than using a cheap tarp.

Welcome to the Spyder side of life. Safe travels.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Full cover

Is there anyone willing to show me the cover on their bike and how much they paid (average)?

I was also curious as to how many of you just throw a cheap tarp over it when you KNOW you are going to ride it day in and day out? I was thinking of doing this because it would cut-out the time consuming labor or constantly putting the full cover on and off daily. Then when you know it's going to be sitting or raining, the full cover would then be called for. Just not sure if anyone does this.
    I paid the list price minus 15%. I knew the Spyder would be outside and needed immediate protection. Once you get a routine down, it doesn't take long to put on the cover, and even less to take it off. I just folded the front and back ends onto the seat, forming a long sausage shape, then carried it that way into the garage for the duration of the ride; reverse the procedure to put it back on. You do have to wait for everything to cool down. The full cover is quite large and not something you'd want to take along with you without a trailer. The travel cover is much smaller but doesn't cover the body, mainly the windshield, seat, and controls. You can get the BRP cover on Amazon, but you'll pay the full price or near it. Do a search for "Can Am RT cover" and see what's available, then decide on the price/quality/fit trade-off.

Spyder Garage

When you have time, could you post a pic of the cover on the bike? Also, do you remember about how much you spent? I am hoping that the dealer gives me a discount on the cover.

Thanks!
    Here is a picture of my spyder with a full cover on: Front of Spyder left side of spyder. I don't remember how much I paid for the "Full Cover". Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I paid the list price minus 15%. I knew the Spyder would be outside and needed immediate protection. Once you get a routine down, it doesn't take long to put on the cover, and even less to take it off. I just folded the front and back ends onto the seat, forming a long sausage shape, then carried it that way into the garage for the duration of the ride; reverse the procedure to put it back on. You do have to wait for everything to cool down. The full cover is quite large and not something you'd want to take along with you without a trailer. The travel cover is much smaller but doesn't cover the body, mainly the windshield, seat, and controls. You can get the BRP cover on Amazon, but you'll pay the full price or near it. Do a search for "Can Am RT cover" and see what's available, then decide on the price/quality/fit trade-off.
    It does take me long to "Cover " my spyder. I start @ the back( trunk) then I uncover the left side, front,( frunk) over the windshield, then the right side. Then carry it and put some where else.

I also have a "half Cover"(comes with it own bag) that I keep in the Frunk, it is there if I need it.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Hmmm, the bike barn looks interesting for the riding season, but for the off months, I think I'd seek out a friend with some space or some option of a sturdy building. Ice, sleet, snow, wet snow/rain....well you guys know how that goes...
    Yes, I do know how that goes( Ice, snow, wet snow, Wind, sleet freezing rain, ) I put mine in Winter storage ( at a dealership) Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Bike Barn Option

In your case I think a full cover might work best, however the Bike Barn, as stated both others is perfect in my case. The second picture was after a heavy snow of over 15" last winter. You will note there is no snow on the top. I placed a cheap portable heater (less than $20 I got at Tractor Supply) and set it on the lowest fan speed and heat setting. Kept the snow off the cover throughout this storm and all other storms this past winter.

HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    However the Bike Barn, as stated both others is perfect in my case. The second picture was after a heavy snow of over 15" last winter. You will note there is no snow on the top. I placed a cheap portable heater (less than $20 I got at Tractor Supply) and set it on the lowest fan speed and heat setting. Kept the snow off the cover throughout this storm and all other storms this past winter.
    That's very encouraging, since I live right around the corner from you (Lake of the Woods in northern Orange County). I got the dehumidifier that Bike Barn sells when I bought the BB, and it's probably similar to what you have. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I never thought it might also keep the snow off. Just out of curiosity, do you have any contingency plans for hurricanes? That's one thing that worries me---high winds.

Spyder Garage

Here's something I saw recently. Another option for sure.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/re...FUQvgQodG4UOYw
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Default WENT WITH NELSON-RIGGS

I decided on the Nelson-Riggs Full Cover. The user ratings were very good and I also got a great deal through Motorcycle Superstore located in Texas. I paid $99 with FREE shipping which is GUARANTEED to get to me in 1-3 days. I couldn't ask for anything better since I will be picking her up on Saturday.

Thanks for all of the info/pictures. It would be nice if I was allowed to have a more secure enclosure here (like the bike barn) but it is not permissible. Will look into winter storage at some local dealers for pricing.

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Bike Barn - Hurricane force winds?

That's very encouraging, since I live right around the corner from you (Lake of the Woods in northern Orange County). I got the dehumidifier that Bike Barn sells when I bought the BB, and it's probably similar to what you have. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I never thought it might also keep the snow off. Just out of curiosity, do you have any contingency plans for hurricanes? That's one thing that worries me---high winds.
    The heater I have has 2 fan speeds and a variable heat setting. I am not sure if the unit Bike Barn sells has heat.

Regarding hurricanes, I modified the front clamps and when I "lock" the front bar into these clamps the cover is very taught and even with high storm winds we have had it barely moves. While there not not been any hurricane force winds I don't think it will be affected. See this link for the clamps I used.

Bike Barn modification

If you ever want to stop by to see how it looks clamped down just PM me. I live behind Riverbend HS off Rt. 3.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Default Bike Barn Hurricane Force Winds

Thanks! I read your post on the modification, and I'm thinking about it, but as you can see from my photos, I don't have a plywood platform so I can't bolt the fasteners down. I'm thinking of some kind of mod of the mod to make it work, but I'll have to experiment. We may get some wind tonight that'll test it, but I think it's pretty stable even as it is with the Spyder tires on the anchor plates. I may you up on the visit, too, later!

Spyder Garage

Default Nelson Riggs Cover Backordered..Now What?

I ordered the Nelson-Riggs Cover on Wednesday through Motorcycle Superstore..main reason I went with them was not only free shipping, but, they guaranteed 1-3 day delivery. I called yesterday because I never received a confirmation email with tracking number. Thank goodness I did! They told me the cover was out of stock and a new estimated delivery of next week was given. I was pissed and told them that it's fine and dandy "BUT" your customer service stinks!! If I would have never called, I would have been sitting here waiting for my cover just for it not to be delivered. I canceled my order with them immediately. I went ahead and ordered the same cover with Dennis Kirk and it was actually cheaper for the same cover! I am still not going to get it until next week

I am up for suggestions. I was thinking of using an old sheet along with pillow cases to go over the frunk and windshield and then buying a cheap tarp to go over that. Some have suggested that I should just leave it unprotected until I get the cover, for these machines are fine out in the elements (rain and heat/sun here this time of year). I live in a townhome so there are kids around here. I know that if I was a kid and saw a pretty yellow machine out in the open, I'd wanna touch it or sit on it, therefore, covering it is a priority at this point. Thanks in advance if ya have any tips or suggestions