Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT SM5 Clear Check Engine Warning

My 2012 RT SM5(26,000 miles) has gotten the P0174 code twice within the last week. In the hope that this might be a singular occurrence, I got a local dealer to reset the code the first time. I rode fine for over 200 miles, then got the code and check engine (irritating) orange screen again. In that this does not happen every time I ride, it is something I can probably live with for a short time until I can haul it to a dealer for service. I had new MAP sensor hoses last year at Spyderfest in Springfield. From some reading, I found the error code can be cleared by holding the mode and set button and flashing the high beam (passing indicator) several times. I no longer have the code on the display when pressing the mode, set and turn signal cancel button, BUT, the flashing check engine orange screen is still there. ANYONE out there know how to clear this without a dealer visit to reset it?
    This is a very perplexing and irritating vehicle for me!!

Thanks
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

This is a bank 2 too lean code. You likely either have a failing O2 sensor (likely) or a dirty or failing injector, not so likely.

First I would run a bottle of Techron through it and clean the injector. Then pursue replacement of the O2 sensor. They are not hard to replace.

This code is not normally the one tripped by the map hoses.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

most codes clear with the computer reset. some require buds but regardless if it reoccurs the problem still exsists. If the hoses were not repalced with silicone or cut to the same length you may have a problem there or as above with the o2, gaskets or injectors...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Techron in tank

Got the Techron and have ridden some with no codes, just wish I could kill the CHECK ENGINE warning so I would know when this happens again. Apparently, only a dealer's computer will reset the dreaded orange screen!

Spyder Garage

Default MAP Sensor Hoses

When these were replaced last May, I was at Spyderfest in Springfield, MO. The guy who did the work was a factory tech from BRP who was on site at Pitbull Motorsports for the event, so I assume it was done properly. He should have been the best in town! I know I was impressed by his removal of tupperware, just over five minutes to remove both left and right sides. Also a very pleasant person and very polite and seemingly knowledgeable.

Spyder Garage

The orange screen should disappear if the codes are inactive.
    Are you certain (MODE-SET-TURNSIGNAL CANCEL) all codes are cleared?

Spyder Garage

If the orange screen is still on, the problem is still occurring.

If the orange screen is still on, the code is still present and can be retrieved.

There is no need to visit the dealer to 'clear the code'

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Spyder Codes

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    The orange screen should disappear if the codes are inactive.
    Are you certain (MODE-SET-TURNSIGNAL CANCEL) all codes are cleared?
    Yes, I have done the BRP salute any number of times, and get a blank screen. I cleared the code from the active screen by using
    (MODE-SET-(HEADLIGHT FLASH five times)) This removes the code from the screen, but does nothing for the dreaded ORANGE flashing CHECK ENGINE interruptions, which take the full screen when the bike is stopped at idle.
    I just want to understand what I am dealing with a bit better. My dealer cannot take it in for service for three weeks, and if parts are needed, that will add another week or two to that scenario, but that is another issue.
    All vehicles, four and three and two are electronically very complex now, I realize. Just do not want to ride with constant warnings, and, indeed, it might cause some additional problems/damage to continue riding it.
    My feeble mind thinks that if the error screen is blank, the check engine warnings should stop, which would therefore allow me to know when another error code is set. If this is an intermittent problem, it may not be as serious, and since the code does not appear on the (MODE-SET-TURNSIGNAL CANCEL) display now.
    I greatly appreciate all the good input on this, and apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Spyder Codes

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If the orange screen is still on, the problem is still occurring.

If the orange screen is still on, the code is still present and can be retrieved.

There is no need to visit the dealer to 'clear the code'
    This is why I am so confused. If there is no error code, no warning lights for any other condition such as oil pressure, temperature and so forth, it would SEEM as if the check engine would not be on. Again, I have been led to believe that previous error codes are stored somewhere in this beast so they can be retrieved by service departments.
    I am going to give it one more try today, then just wait the three weeks for a service appointment and let them sort it out. I fear I am way out of my area of expertise here.
    Sure hate to do without it for three to five weeks, but, last Summer other issues, clutch slave cylinder and waterpump leak) had it down for over a month.
    I guess I should be grateful we have other vehicles and do not depend on this one for transportation!
    FUN it is, RELIABLE it is not!

Spyder Garage

i'm sorry you are having this problem and it points to a HUGE hole in things I do not understand.
    I, like you, don't understand how a codelless Spyder can continue the orange screen.
    From everything that I have read the Orange Screen of Screwed should vanish after the system detects no errors.

Have you driven a mile or so with the screen flashing?

Spyder Garage

Default Error Code

Gone thru this code before.
    1st time required the replacement of the purge value.
    2nd time the canister had to be replaced. It was loaded.
    Did the bypass , but didn't clear the check engine message. So took it to the dealer each time.
    So far the message haven't come back. Just turned 42k on the 2011 rt sm 5.
    Very hopeful that the air scoop retrofit will keep this from happening again.
    Don't smell the gas smell anymore.

Spyder Garage

Default Bypass

You said after you did the bypass and air scoop retro you haven't had anymore problems. What did you bypass? Did you do this yourself? Any details would be greatly appreciated. My 2011 is doing the same thing, and the dealer has replaced the canister and is now wanting to replace the purge valve. Just trying to keep from throwing money and parts at an issue that dealers should be able to figure out. Their mechanic is a BRP master technician! I have seen enough here to see that the p0174 code happens enough that BRP would be able to train these techs on how to fix it better. Just my opinion, but how about a shorter list of things that could be going on with one code! And I agree if the code is cleared and the problem is not detected anymore than the check engine light should go off. But I aint no computer engineer, so there you go