Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default DoseYDoes, Error Codes & Limp Modes

I think the Spyderdom is separated into two distinct camps with maybe a few that sort of hang out on fringes of the two camps.
    One camp is comprised of Ryders who are genuinely worried that some kind of error code is going to befall their ryde.

The other camp is comprised of Ryders who don't think about or have some understanding of what it means and realize that the event does not signal the end of the world.

Like a great number of subjects I could be completely wrong about this hypothesis.

I would like to get people to move out the first camp and make their way to the second.
    Sometimes people in the second camp instill apprehension in people of the first camp by merely talking about such things.

I may be one of the few people who has actually read every word of explanation to every error code the Spyder is capable of producing.
    Reader's Digest Version:This or that happened and here is the best guess as to why.

Nobody likes to be inconvenienced.
    Limp Homes and Error Codes represent usually if not a major disruption to your plans then a real PIA.

But, unless you have some on going issue that requires attention ---------

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAPPEN AS OFTEN AS SUGGESTED BY A DIP INTO THE DEEP END OF THE INTERNET POOL.

When or if they do appear there are a few strategies that can either make them go away, or be managed so as to keep you and spyder safe.

Let's take the Limp Home Mode first.
    This can happen upon initial start up, or while you are just cruising along.
    Limp Home Mode has been modified to be less intrusive.
    Engine power will be reduced but you should be able to make it to your destination albeit maybe a bit slower.

Limp Home Modes are triggered when your Spyder detects some kind of fault.
    I suggest you try this experiment.
    Unplug the passenger seat switch located underneath the seat.
    Start your spyder.
    You will be in Limp Home Mode.
    Drive it around in a parking lot and see what happens.
    I bet you won't find it as horrifying as you think.

Now of course you can get out of Limp Home by simply plugging the switch back in.
    And guess what?
    A bunch of limp home modes can be cancelled with actions as simple as that.
    Sometimes just a simple restart will clear the trouble.
    Other times not.
    Take the time to calmly assess the situation.
    Is there anything obviously wrong such as something bent, broken or disconnected?
    You have a cell phone, use it if you have to.

Error Codes are produced by your Spyder's control system in surprising numbers.
    Most you don't see.
    Some you do.
    An error code is a number that corresponds to some kind of unusual behavior.
    The one possible exception is the P0000. It isn't an official code but seems to pop up to reset the system after something happens.
    Seeing an error code upon start up might mean the spyder won't start.
    You might not see a code, but an indicator light will come on to alert you something is wrong.
    You then should do the three finger BRP salute and press MODE-SET-TURNSIGNAL CANCEL.
    If done properly, the screen will change and either be blank (no codes) or show one or more 5 digit codes.
    I have no idea why BRP didn't elect to put a short explanation of these codes but as yet they have not.

Pretty much the same thing happens when you are driving.
    A light comes on and you go may or may not go into Limp Home Mode.
    You pull over, do the BRP Salute and decide what to do.
    It might require a cell phone call, but it might be something as simple the rear cargo door is open on an RT.

Nobody is suggesting that you should rip the tupperware off and start wrenching along the road.
    But, like any type of unplanned for event it is helpful to be calm, gather all the info you can and then decide a course of action.
    You can handle it.
    Life is good.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 06-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A calm approach; from a voice of reason... PRICELESS!
    (I like the experiment of unplugging the passenger seat sensor. )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sometimes, just sitting back and taking a deep breath instead of going into panic mode helps.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Great info...

for the write-up. Great info for the newer or unaware how these machines think. The check engine light is another goodie. I know it would be crazy to have a light for each reason that one can come on but it is scary when it does come on. Then it goes off when you restart and you never know why...Thanks again for the app can't leave home without it.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    for the write-up. Great info for the newer or unaware how these machines think. The check engine light is another goodie. I know it would be crazy to have a light for each reason that one can come on but it is scary when it does come on. Then it goes off when you restart and you never know why...Thanks again for the app can't leave home without it.....
    The orange Check Engine light and the yellow VSS light are the two biggies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's really wonderful that you have such a positive upbeat attitude. However I see you didn't mention the D.E.S.S. issue, and the last I read you think it's overblown as do many many others here. But those that have that opinion are the ones who haven't EXPERIENCED IT........YET... !!!!!. IF it happens to you I wonder if you will come back and tell us what a NICE learning experience it was.......I'm betting you WON'T......Mike

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

It's really wonderful that you have such a positive upbeat attitude. However I see you didn't mention the D.E.S.S. issue, and the last I read you think it's overblown as do many many others here. But those that have that opinion are the ones who haven't EXPERIENCED IT........YET... !!!!!. IF it happens to you I wonder if you will come back and tell us what a NICE learning experience it was.......I'm betting you WON'T......Mike
    Mike, Mike Mike.
    I have had many issues not chronicled on these walls.
    But my friend it is a matter of perspective.

So, before you decide to play the "It hasn't happened to You card" I suggest that you take a deep breath and think about it
    I recently called out someone who falsely said the BRP fix did not work, and you supplied additional support.

OK, maybe that doesn't fit into your view of things, then show me where I am wrong with facts, not what ifs.
    I like to think I'm fair and being fair means I don't jump on every bandwagon that comes along.

I try to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things as possible.

Spyder Garage

Roger--what more can I say? You are the "code" man.

I am in camp #2. I don't worry about codes happening on my rides. If I get more than 50 miles from my home, I am toast as far as dealer fixes. There are no more dealers to stop into or call for help. It's tow time. The dealer from Anchorage (our biggest city) no longer sells or services . The local one (for me--Eagle River) now does service only--and they have not had a mechanic to work on for a couple months. The selling dealer (Wasilla), I have not yet been to because they are down the road a long ways. These events have affected my desire to invest in #6. I am now in wait and see, but it has nothing to do with codes.

If one looks at my signature, there are five 's owned and over 125,000 miles traveled. I have had codes two or three times tops.

: One limp mode home was caused by me. I rode the brake without knowing it. Damn those new boots.

: A check engine light came on. It was low oil and it caused other issues. A quart of oil, and I was good to go.

If you keep the in good mechanical condition, you should be all right. Bad dealers, sometimes cause more problems than they solve. Good or bad--it seems to be a crap shoot on what you get. Last years good or best dealer can become this years nightmare. I have said many times, when I cannot get good service to keep my dependable, I will be out.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-09-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder, Spyder, Spyder ....#1.my reply didn't SUPPORT ANYTHING .....it just CLARIFIED..........#2. My post above did not refute ANYTHING you said !!!!!!.........My post concerned what WASN'T SAID .........Fair doesn't come into this ......And the D.E.S.S. issue isn't what I consider " AN EVERY BANDWAGON " problem..................And your " true and false " comment ...are you saying the DESS issue is a FALSE ISSUE !!!.... Like I said, if it happens to you, come back and give us a review of what it felt like......Until then, please don't THINK ...AND SAY....it's a minor thing that only occurs to a few.........Mike
    Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble following you here but here's my best shot.

The DESS issue while troublesome isn't in my mind or experience the Godzilla proportions that you believe it is.
    You are entitled to your opinion of course.

That's my opinion and I given the fact that it appears from the 19 page thread on the subject that I could only find 7 unique posts that reported the problem and of those 3 were fixed without any other occurrences including the OP and the rest, cheered on by folks who did not "yet" have the problem but are living either in state of luckiness they haven't or fear they might.

Is it a "false" issue?
    I don't exactly know what you mean.
    Do I believe it happens, sure I do.

There have been 451 Replies to the thread.
    Here are posts from that thread.

Last edited by spyderCodes; 06-09-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

26? Really???
    I should add one more: I do not currently, nor have I ever had; a DESS error message pop up.
    My bike continues to run reliably, and I'd take off tomorrow for the Left Coast on it!
    (If the Missus would let me... )

Spyder Garage

This thread was supposed to be a bit of general info concerning Limp Mode and Error Codes.
    It was not a post concerning any one particular malfunction or circumstance.

I will respond, if I respond at all, to the DESS problem in the thread(s) for that purpose.
    I think I've said everything that I have to say on that topic.

I respect other's opinions and assume the same in return.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well: I do; of course!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like having the information for what can cause the Check Engine light to come on. Just last weekend we were out on a ride and the air temperature was 108. We were on the way home from lunch and the wife got overheated so we stopped somewhere to get into some air conditioning. There was no shade to park the Spyder in so we left it in the sun. 45 minutes later we were leaving and the Spyder showed a check engine light and I figured it was intake air too hot when I saw the thermometer on the bike at 127 degrees. Rode it home and got the code for high air temp. Nice to know what's going on.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knowledge is always a good thing...

Spyder Garage

And a pissing match is always fun.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm in camp 2. I know that happens - but don't get overly concerned about it until it does. I even rode my 2013 RT LTF across country last year, from WV to AZ and back -before the recall work was done - and it didn't burst into flames - not even once!

Life is too short to not have fun because something might happen - and, when it does, if it does, roll with it and find some more fun!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

There have been 451 replies to a thread here ??? How did I ever miss that one

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    And a pissing match is always fun.

Spyder Garage

Default Life, for mE

Is to be lived without the "what if's". That thought mode is a major joy robber. Do I get frustrated, irritated and sometimes down right pissed if a situation is less than my desire. Yep. But no matter what happens, unless it is literally life threatening I say to self WOW a new life adventure. Let's chill and find best solutions (yep plans A - Z are sometimes necessary) and even then zip occurs. So I move to accept and move on. How I live and luv peace and freedom from drama.
    Sooooo time for coffee and spending time with some the World's best people. Fellow Spyderlovers. Later
    have an awesome weekend.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Time to lighten up & chill out!

You know I read these "doom and gloom" posts and I'm always concerned that someone will be marooned miles from anywhere.
    Then I ask myself
    "What is the worst thing, and the most likely thing that will get me phoning for help?"
    It isn't the DESS code thing or the Engine Check light or Fire and Flood......a bad puncture in the rear tyre does it for me.
    It's mundane and can happen on any vehicle no matter how much it cost but it will leave you at the side of the road waiting
    for rescue.
    And yes, I carry a repair kit and pump on longer journeys but I'm seriously considering using this sealing product this year:
    http://www.ultraseal-swiftlysorted.co.uk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    You know I read these "doom and gloom" posts and I'm always concerned that someone will be marooned miles from anywhere.
    Then I ask myself
    "What is the worst thing, and the most likely thing that will get me phoning for help?"
    It isn't the DESS code thing or the Engine Check light or Fire and Flood......a bad puncture in the rear tyre does it for me.
    It's mundane and can happen on any vehicle no matter how much it cost but it will leave you at the side of the road waiting
    for rescue.
    And yes, I carry a repair kit and pump on longer journeys but I'm seriously considering using this sealing product this year:
    http://www.ultraseal-swiftlysorted.co.uk
    And Geoff was raised around Lucas electrical systems: He probably knows more about dealing with adversity, than the rest of us combined!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And Geoff was raised around Lucas electrical systems: He probably knows more about dealing with adversity, than the rest of us combined!
    Ah yes! Lucas...Prince of Darkness! If there was an award for overpriced poorly designed crap they would have taken it!! Mind you: Miller wasn't a whole lot better!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nor did I...

...But it's a fun, "diversionary topic"!