Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Aluma XL Trailer

After a lot of research I finally decided to the Aluma XL Trailer. Good locking system, weatherproof and looks great. This trailer enables me to get back on the road after kidney failure. I am able to carry eight days worth of dialysis solution and equipment. Trailer tracked great and never really noticed it was back there. MPG went down as expected (27 mpg) with two hundred fifty pounds of solution and equipment. MPG woug go up 2 1/2 to 3 mpg per day as I to of 45 pounds of solution every night. I am not letting a small handicap keep me off of the road. Plan on running the Blue Ridge Parkway next month. The reason that I posted this to show others out there with health issues that it is still possible to enjoy the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Way to go! Keep on keeping on. I like your Spirit and Attitude.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Aluma XL

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Way to go! Keep on keeping on. I like your Spirit and Attitude.

Jack

Well Jack, how does that old saying go? Live free or die.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Congratulations on not letting anything get you down . Glad you found the right trailer to make your ryding possible. You are an inspiration and these machines make it possible for many...enjoy your upcoming ryde..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you haven't let your kidney issue keep you from rolling.

I also have an Aluma XL trailer - I bought a used from a Harley rider who'd put over 11k miles on it, still looks and rolls like a dream. I love the lighting. I used the Big Bike Parts wiring harness since it supports 5-wire connectors, which is what the Aluma needed. Like you, I barely notice that it's following me.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Aluma XL

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Glad you haven't let your kidney issue keep you from rolling.

I also have an Aluma XL trailer - I bought a used from a Harley rider who'd put over 11k miles on it, still looks and rolls like a dream. I love the lighting. I used the Big Bike Parts wiring harness since it supports 5-wire connectors, which is what the Aluma needed. Like you, I barely notice that it's following me.
    My Aluma has a four pin plug. Being stupis I had the BRP harness installed. It blew out half way through my trip. I just ordered from Big Bike Parts. Live and learn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's awesome!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Great trailer. When I retired in 07, I toured the U.S., all the lower 48 solo, on a Goldwing with the Aluma trailer. Good cost and dependable. Sold for a good price when I traded for a Honda ST1300. and did a another tour. When I bought my 2011 Rt I found a new BRP 622 at a decent price and did another solo tour. Longest trip on each around 8000 miles. The Aluma, while not as pretty, it performed just as well. I could attach larger objects such as tent to the XL. My 622 has held up and I recently bought a F3T and put a hitch on to tow my 622, 3rd Spyder for this trailer. I am 74 now so my needs for long trips have increased so the need for a support trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....GOOD FOR YOU, .......this wouldn't be possible with a Genuine BRP trailer ..........Mike
    Might not be possible with a Genuine BRP trailer - after the extra $ have been spent there might not have been enough for the trip!

(Just kidding, not wanting to re-start the argument about how us cheap-a$$ lowlifes take unnecessary risks by not buying non-BRP components)
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Dumb question...

...but I have to ask...

Does the Aluma XL have enough space to accommodate a set of golf clubs?
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Cognac

Grip Puppies
    Laser Alignment
    F4 Custom Plus3 Wide with Vent and front blackout
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Ultimate Mid Rider with Driver Backrest
    GearBrake - Smart Brake Module
    Custom Dynamics High Mount Brake Light with Flasher Module
    Lamonster RAM Universal X Grip Cell Phone Holder
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with. 20oz Bottle Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Brackets - Dually Trident Black
    Best Warranty until 10/28/2019

Spyder Garage

Certainly - you could actually fit 2 sets of clubs, golf shoes - even some tacky golfing pants and a case of water. The trailer weighs about 225 (if I remember properly ), so you just need to keep cargo down to 175 or less.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Good luck and enjoy the ride

cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

how much weight can it hold when you put stuff on top?

Spyder Garage

Default "Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

That's great that you've found a way to keep on going!

Spyder Garage

I have the Aluma XL trailer but when I attach it to my 2014 RT the front of the trailer is raised so the trailer is not level. How did you get yours level?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question

I'm considering this trailer to carry my mobility scooter, but need to know if it is compatible with the BRP hitch and wiring harness.

I notice it has significantly more ground clearance and seems to sit higher than the BRP Freedom Trailer. Does it need any modification for height of the hitch or wiring socket compatibility, etc.? Also, some assembly is required on a new trailer. My disability will make that difficult, although I can probably get some help. I like the price, but if I have to do much assembly and modification, the higher price of the BRP trailer might be worth it since I have very little mechanical ability and the Freedom Trailer is just plug and play. All thoughts are welcome.

Spyder Garage

I haven't made any mods to my trailer except mounting a spare tire, and it sits pretty close to level for me. I use the BRP trailer hitch with no issues. The trailer box is about 26" wide (inside) by 21" high - make sure your scooter fits before you buy. I bought mine used so I'm unaware of what assembly was required after purchase. If you buy from a dealer I'm sure they'll do that for you. If not, there are a number of motorcycle trailers that look identical to the Aluma brand, and perhaps they come completely assembled.

I use the Big Bike Parts trailer harness so I don't know about the BRP harness. The BRP harness works perfectly for me. You can buy 4-pin to 5-pin converters and they work perfectly, except I believe that your brake light and turn signal will both blink when both are on. Here's a link.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47515.html

I'd give Aluma a call directly - I talked to them at some length about the trailer wiring and they were friendly and knowledgeable.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. Great information.

Spyder Garage

Default One more thought...

One more thought on pulling any motorcycle trailer that has a front tray for carrying coolers.

I once loaded a large cooler full of ice and water on the tray in the front of my trailer. Knowing that most trailer weight should be in front of the wheels (60/40), I loaded two suitcases in the front of the trailer. Going around the twisties the trailer wanted to push the back end of the byke making handling a little uncertain.

Coming home I left the heavy cooler on the tray as before and loaded the suitcases behind the wheels. Much better balanced, I couldn't tell the trailer was there. I had discounted the effect that the cooler had on the overall balance.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As a veteran of the kidney failure, dialysis war, im glad you are keeping active. I was on peritoneal dialysis for 6 years (which Im guessing is what you are doing) and hemodialysis for 2 years, it can be tiring to do what you want. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    After a lot of research I finally decided to the Aluma XL Trailer. Good locking system, weatherproof and looks great. This trailer enables me to get back on the road after kidney failure. I am able to carry eight days worth of dialysis solution and equipment. Trailer tracked great and never really noticed it was back there. MPG went down as expected (27 mpg) with two hundred fifty pounds of solution and equipment. MPG woug go up 2 1/2 to 3 mpg per day as I to of 45 pounds of solution every night. I am not letting a small handicap keep me off of the road. Plan on running the Blue Ridge Parkway next month. The reason that I posted this to show others out there with health issues that it is still possible to enjoy the road.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Air adjustment

Maybe you could adjust the air suspension on the rear end of the bike to make things level?
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseLadyBiker View Post
    I have the Aluma XL trailer but when I attach it to my 2014 RT the front of the trailer is raised so the trailer is not level. How did you get yours level?
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Maybe you could adjust the air suspension on the rear end of the bike to make things level?
    Just a thought.

I'll try that and see if it helps. Thank you for the suggestion.

Spyder Garage

Adding air to the suspension will just make it firmer, the hitch is mounted on the swingarm.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I admire your spirit!
    (My Missus had a transplant, after six Months of hemodialysis.)

I was JUST reading about a new, more portable dialysis unit. Evidently, it can be worn as a fanny-pack, and it allows for more time getting your blood cleansed...

http://www.medgadget.com/2014/09/wea...-go-video.html
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-13-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black