Spyder Garage

Default Adjusting the air in the rear suspension

So, when we're toolin' down the road I'll occasionally feel like I wanna add some air to the rear end. I press and hold the switch and the dash shows an orange "manual" light as I'm holding the switch. I'm pretty confident that I can feel the back end rise up as it should, but how do I know the pressure is holding? Does it go back to a default pressure when the bike is turned off, or does it stay at the added pressure? How can I tell if it's leaking down? Is it as simple as taking a measurement in the garage and checking it a couple times. I tried to read up on it in the manual without much luck. Just wondering what the best way is to see if it's working right
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ith-Viair-097c

Read the above post. If the horn won't blow (the compressor, horn, and grip heaters are on the same fuse) you have a bad fuse which means the compressor is failing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    So, when we're toolin' down the road I'll occasionally feel like I wanna add some air to the rear end. I press and hold the switch and the dash shows an orange "manual" light as I'm holding the switch. I'm pretty confident that I can feel the back end rise up as it should, but how do I know the pressure is holding? Does it go back to a default pressure when the bike is turned off, or does it stay at the added pressure? How can I tell if it's leaking down? Is it as simple as taking a measurement in the garage and checking it a couple times. I tried to read up on it in the manual without much luck. Just wondering what the best way is to see if it's working right
    Under the seat is the manual fill. Check the pressure there. But as stated if horn won't blow fuse for on board compressor is blow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steel Black Metallic 2015 RTS-SE6 Limited ; FBB Highway Brackets/ gripper pegs. Gremlin bell. Bajaron sway bar, Elka stage 2 front shocks. Bumps kid with led lights, Ultimate seat tall boy seat. Trailer hitch. Freedom trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the fuse is good: the "strut" may have come loose...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, let's work on your questions. The error code "Manual" is just the cluster telling you that your requested setting is not matching the setting signal it's getting back from the sensor.(Bob's photo). And you need to put air in manually. To be sure about the compressor, with the bike idling, put it in gear, release the parking brake and foot brake. Adjust the setting switch and watch your headlights shining on the garage wall. If the compressor is working, the lights will move up and down and you'll hear it. When the compressor fails, sometimes it blows the fuse and sometimes it doesn't.

Check the air pressure with the valve under the seat just like you check air pressure in a tire. The system does not go to a default pressure, it should hold whatever the last setting was. Keep in mind, every time you check it, it will drop 4 or 5 pounds, so check it once, and then again after sitting for a few hours or overnight. You may even want to add some air using that valve if necessary. 50# is a good middle band number.

Experience tells us that, with a 2010, the compressor has probably failed because that's what they do. But of course, check your fuse and sensor linkage, too. If your system holds air, you can operate it manually based on that chart in your manual.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Check the sensor link that ties the ride height sensor to the swing arm.
    There is a bolt that sometimes, for reasons that aren't apparent to me, not there.
    This can be seen by looking under the Spyder and looking at where the rear shock is connected to the swing arm.

Spyder Garage

OK, I'll check that stuff. I know my horn works, and I do believe the system is functioning, because as I mentioned, when I hit the switch, it sure feels like the back end comes up. I'll check it though in the garage sitting still. I was just wondering if it might be leaking out or if it did indeed return to a default pressure.

Thanks all!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on the sensor link. I have been having problems with my new 2016 RTS and that was the problem

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Once again, I feel like an idiot. I raised up the seat yesterday and checked the pressure in the airbag. It was down to 20psi. Heck I've adjusted it "up" multiple times while riding, just never checked it sitting still....I wonder just how low it actually was. So, I filled it to 50 with my garage compressor last night. Checked today and it was holding just fine, still at 50. Then I checked the onboard compressor. IT seems to be working fine as well. Kept the gauge on it and it pumped up to 80 with no problem, and released air fine as well. Sorry for yet another confusing thread... I was just thinking that since the "Manual" signal was orange while I held the pressure switch, there was an issue. It doesn't give any indication of the pressure or anything, just stays orange.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, let's work on your questions. The error code "Manual" is just the cluster telling you that your requested setting is not matching the setting signal it's getting back from the sensor.(Bob's photo). And you need to put air in manually. To be sure about the compressor, with the bike idling, put it in gear, release the parking brake and foot brake. Adjust the setting switch and watch your headlights shining on the garage wall. If the compressor is working, the lights will move up and down and you'll hear it. When the compressor fails, sometimes it blows the fuse and sometimes it doesn't.

Check the air pressure with the valve under the seat just like you check air pressure in a tire. The system does not go to a default pressure, it should hold whatever the last setting was. Keep in mind, every time you check it, it will drop 4 or 5 pounds, so check it once, and then again after sitting for a few hours or overnight. You may even want to add some air using that valve if necessary. 50# is a good middle band number.

Experience tells us that, with a 2010, the compressor has probably failed because that's what they do. But of course, check your fuse and sensor linkage, too. If your system holds air, you can operate it manually based on that chart in your manual.

, compressor went bad on my 2015 RTL and it showed up on the dash as "Manual".

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag Switch

Pressing and holding the air bag switch will not get you anywhere. The way the system works is the computer has 5 presets that are displayed on the screen. You press and release the switch and watch the display go to the new setting. press and release again will go to next setting.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Once again, I feel like an idiot. I raised up the seat yesterday and checked the pressure in the airbag. It was down to 20psi. Heck I've adjusted it "up" multiple times while riding, just never checked it sitting still....I wonder just how low it actually was. So, I filled it to 50 with my garage compressor last night. Checked today and it was holding just fine, still at 50. Then I checked the onboard compressor. IT seems to be working fine as well. Kept the gauge on it and it pumped up to 80 with no problem, and released air fine as well. Sorry for yet another confusing thread... I was just thinking that since the "Manual" signal was orange while I held the pressure switch, there was an issue. It doesn't give any indication of the pressure or anything, just stays orange.
    No friend, don't feel like an idiot, because there IS an issue. The system should maintain pressure automatically - the way your owner's manual describes - and not show you the "Manual" error message. So, you've verified your compressor works and that there is no leakage. You didn't mention if you have checked the sensor linkage arm underneath, the electrical connector, etc. See Bob's photo. The arm from the sensor should point to the rear, and then down to the swing arm. Also, are you the original owner and have you EVER seen it working correctly? Because there is one other odd ball thing. There's a screen in BUDS where you have to check a box to tell the cluster that the ACS system is installed on that bike. Just wondering. The only other troubleshooting that's indicated for your symptoms is to have a dealer check out the sensor and do a sensor reset procedure.

Or, you can just keep things the way they are and run it manually. Your call.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-10-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Could be a bad ASC switch. Mine has been replaced twice. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Well, no I did not verify the sensor linkage. I'll do that next. If I recall that got removed for a tire change and I know I put it back on the same way. I'll check it again. So the components are working, just not as "automatically" as they should. Thanks again all..
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White