Thread: rt rear tire

Spyder Garage

Default rt rear tire

is a 215/60r15 tire the right size for the rear of a 2014Rt? Thanks I noticed I now have a 225/60r15 on it. which one is the proper size?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by modagwood View Post
    is a 215/60r15 tire the right size for the rear of a 2014Rt? Thanks I noticed I now have a 225/60r15 on it. which one is the proper size?
    I'm hoping that the first will work as I just ordered one(General Altimax RT43) this morning......
    1984-87 Kawasaki GPZ750(1983)
    2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(2005)
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road King(1999)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S SM6(2014)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

From pg 164 of your owner's manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm running a 215/60/15 for 19,000 miles with no problems.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

225/50-15 is the correct tire size...

HOWEVER: The 215/60-15 is a viable option. In fact: if you have the factory-mounted GPS, it'll probably make your speedometer agree more closely with your GPS, when it comes to your actual speed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thunor View Post
    I'm hoping that the first will work as I just ordered one(General Altimax RT43) this morning......
    I am running the General Altimax RT 43 also on the rear of my spyder. The size that I running is : 215/60 R15 @ 26 PSI. This is my 2nd riding season with the General Altimax RT 43.

The spyder handles well on dry, wet, dirt, roads. I do not get any noise from the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear.
    The original(Kenda) tire had 5,824 miles. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thank you for responses. I feel better about the purchase. Tire arrives tomorrow or Friday. Called around
    to 3 dealerships in the area. The one I usually use(Bibbens) said they would swap tires for $150 and oil
    change(near 12k) would be an additional $150....caused me to call around. Ingles, at first, said $137 for
    the tire change but then refused to install a non-motorcycle tire or even any tire not purchased from them.
    I didn't get far enough to ask for the oil change price. Third dealership(Filers; questionable reviews) gave
    me a price of $99 for the tire change and $117 for the oil change. I am giving them a shot as they are the
    best price and closest dealership for me. They did say the tire will void my warranty for the tire when it is
    added to the trike...obviously I am fine with that as I expected it.

I just want to get back to putting on the mileage and enjoy the wind in my...err over my bald head.
    1984-87 Kawasaki GPZ750(1983)
    2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(2005)
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road King(1999)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S SM6(2014)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire for 2014 r/t

Quote Originally Posted by modagwood View Post
    I just put on a new rear tire, replace the original with vee rubber product code V35004, the size is 225/50-R15. I use RIDE-ON tire sealer and balancing liquid to do the balance on it, works real good. if you do the tire yourself, watch the you-tube videos, helpful.

Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax RT 43

I am going to be putting a General Altimax RT 43 on my 2015 RT. Anyone that is currently running that tire have to balance it? I am planning on removing the wheel/hub etc... myself and taking it to a tire shop to have put on.
    Thank You in advance for any advice!

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I am running the General Altimax RT 43 also on the rear of my spyder. The size that I running is : 215/60 R15 @ 26 PSI. This is my 2nd riding season with the General Altimax RT 43.

The spyder handles well on dry, wet, dirt, roads. I do not get any noise from the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear.
    The original(Kenda) tire had 5,824 miles. Deanna
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder
    Foam Grips
    Billet Axle Covers
    Stebel Air Horn
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    SpyderPops belt guard
    SpyderPops Kotte Grills
    TriCLED LED Driving lights
    Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 has the one piece hub, but I still removed the brake rotor to avoid damage..

Haven't tried the General, but have put on a couple of Kumhos. Discount Tire didn't have a problem mounting the tire, and I just used a Harbor Freight static balancer to add about an ounce of weight to get them balanced. The wife wore the first Kumho out, and now on the 2nd at 32,000 miles. The original Kenda went 12,500.

Some use Ride-On or beads to balance and some report that they don't see the need to balance the rear tire. Your experience will be your guide. Let us know how it goes and good riding!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BALANCING & THE HUB THING

Quote Originally Posted by ceyer69 View Post
    I am going to be putting a General Altimax RT 43 on my 2015 RT. Anyone that is currently running that tire have to balance it? I am planning on removing the wheel/hub etc... myself and taking it to a tire shop to have put on.
    Thank You in advance for any advice!

Charles
    First the hub - some here have had the tire done without HUB re-moval....I'd check with the installer first, it's a pain to re-move................I stopped balancing the rear tires for the Spyder after switching to quality car tires ( 3) .... Haven't noticed any difference in wear or handling...........I think because the AXEL is supported on both sides makes a difference also the tires are better to begin with ..........jmho......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 and earlier had the 2 piece hub... those with 2015 and later have 1 pc

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    First the hub - some here have had the tire done without HUB re-moval....I'd check with the installer first, it's a pain to re-move................I stopped balancing the rear tires for the Spyder after switching to quality car tires ( 3) .... Haven't noticed any difference in wear or handling...........I think because the AXEL is supported on both sides makes a difference also the tires are better to begin with ..........jmho......Mike
    Thanks for the note on not needing to balance your tires. Our local Discount tire can mount without removing the hub for those with 2 pc. Other shops?
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think the 2015 and 2016s have a one piece wheel now, no removing the hub.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ONE PIECE HUB

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    If this is the case ( and I'm not questioning you ) then any tire shop should be able to do the rear wheels on the STANDARD Hydraulic machine ...... I don't think most Spyder Dealers do the wheels / tires themselves anyway they shop this out to a local tire shop.... those machines are expensive and can't really be used on regular Motorcycle tires, and a high speed balancer is out of the question also.......JMHO.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default RT 43 & balancing

I just put a RT 43 tire on about a month ago. Walmart mounted the tire with a new valve stem for 8 bucks. took to a Harley dealer for balancing(noticed some harley's run pretty wide tires).They have a spin balancer that will handle the spyder wheel and hub.18.00$ for the balancing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post

Looks like you are correct one piece rear wheel design on the 16 and 17 models..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just replaced my rear tire and used counteract balancing beads..No balancing required in my case..

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire change price

Red Line Powersports in Myrtle Beach, SC just quoted me 3 labor hours at $300 to change the rear time on my 2012 RT. Guess I need to call some other dealers. The closest is 2 hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by thunor View Post
    Thank you for responses. I feel better about the purchase. Tire arrives tomorrow or Friday. Called around
    to 3 dealerships in the area. The one I usually use(Bibbens) said they would swap tires for $150 and oil
    change(near 12k) would be an additional $150....caused me to call around. Ingles, at first, said $137 for
    the tire change but then refused to install a non-motorcycle tire or even any tire not purchased from them.
    I didn't get far enough to ask for the oil change price. Third dealership(Filers; questionable reviews) gave
    me a price of $99 for the tire change and $117 for the oil change. I am giving them a shot as they are the
    best price and closest dealership for me. They did say the tire will void my warranty for the tire when it is
    added to the trike...obviously I am fine with that as I expected it.

I just want to get back to putting on the mileage and enjoy the wind in my...err over my bald head.