Thread: Shock Adjuster

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shock Adjuster

Should I tackle the bajaron shock adjusters before I have the laser alignment or after?
    I dont have a whole lot of time between now and the alignment so just not sure

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd get the adjusters in place, before having an alignment done...
    It'd be one less change, that might affect how the front wheels are pointing.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The shock adjusters can be installed in a couple hours. Just follow the instructions.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

If time is limited you could have them install the adjuster then do the alignment. Guess it would depend on who is doing the work....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I aligned my Spyder when I got it in 2014, checked it last year in Alaska and again a month ago. Between Aladka and now I added the shock adjusters and my alignment still was spot on. I only have my adjusters at 1 1/2 turns. If you turn it more than that you likely will affect the alignment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ann
    I'm at just two turns, and everything was still good with mine.
    For the record: I'm not saying that the adjusters will affect your alignment; I'm just cautioning that it's best to not put yourself in an avoidable situation.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank all. I did order the adjusters from spyderpops.com and will have them for my day off. I'll just start early and then ill be able to ride and try them out. Then on my next day off I get to go to the alignment place 😀

Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    Thank all. I did order the adjusters from spyderpops.com and will have them for my day off. I'll just start early and then ill be able to ride and try them out. Then on my next day off I get to go to the alignment place 😀

Sent From my Note 5
    Good move!

The Adjusters don't NECESSARILY change your alignment. But they can, depending on how you use them. So getting them installed first is the more prudent move.

The Sway Bar upgrade cannot alter alignment so it is never a concern one way or the other.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 6/10

Well the Shock adjusters arrived yesterday from Spyderpops. I started the project around 9 had the shocks off by 9:30 and to my surprise the compressor that I rented from my local shop did not fit. called another parts place and they said come on over so I pack up the shocks and kit and head out. no go, I tried all the stores around and even Harbor freight. no go all the ones they all had are to large to fit the springs on the spyder shock. and none of the shops could help either. I live over an hr away from the Dealer and because its cape cod there is no leaving and getting back on the cape in any reasonable time. 1 hr up and if they could hgel;p 2 hr est and 4 to get home cause of traffic at the bridges
    I have an email out to Bajaron looking to see if he can send me the compressor set. Oh well try again after I get that one.
    Using the instructions I f[ound removing the shocks not that hard and putting them back in also not too bad.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a backyard "cross your fingers: D.I.Y." ploy that I've used...

Get a bunch of those stainless steel hose clamps: the biggest ones that you can find...
    Fee a bunch of them through the springs, and tighten them down, until you can unseat them.
    (It's a REAL good idea to throw a decent rope through the spring: top to bottom, and cinch it down while it's sitting on your bench...
    I've done this. I don't know if I'd suggest it; but it did work for me...

Spyder Garage

Default Ratchet straps

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    Well the Shock adjusters arrived yesterday from Spyderpops. I started the project around 9 had the shocks off by 9:30 and to my surprise the compressor that I rented from my local shop did not fit. called another parts place and they said come on over so I pack up the shocks and kit and head out. no go, I tried all the stores around and even Harbor freight. no go all the ones they all had are to large to fit the springs on the spyder shock. and none of the shops could help either. I live over an hr away from the Dealer and because its cape cod there is no leaving and getting back on the cape in any reasonable time. 1 hr up and if they could hgel;p 2 hr est and 4 to get home cause of traffic at the bridges
    I have an email out to Bajaron looking to see if he can send me the compressor set. Oh well try again after I get that one.
    Using the instructions I f[ound removing the shocks not that hard and putting them back in also not too bad.
    Keeping mind the oem springs are around 350 lbs/in springs, so you cannot hope to muscle them down. Before I got proper tools to do this kind of work, I used three 1,500 lb ratchet straps spaced 120 degrees apart. Try to get the straps that don't have hook ends. Be careful to slowly ratchet the starps to slowly compress the spring. You may have to adjust the straps from time to time - this is why you use 3 straps for safety because you will want 2 straps holding the spring in compression at all times.

Also, keep in mind you have to compress the spring much more than it takes to get the spring off because you are going to add the preload adjuster. If you ride down to N. Va - or pay for postage round trip I can put them on for you; I have the tooling to do this quickly and safely.

Jerry
    Last edited by spacetiger; 06-10-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys but ill wait for Baja to get back to me. i can wait

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully: I don't blame you a bit!

Spyder Garage

Here's a backyard "cross your fingers: D.I.Y." ploy that I've used...

Get a bunch of those stainless steel hose clamps: the biggest ones that you can find...
    Fee a bunch of them through the springs, and tighten them down, until you can unseat them.
    (It's a REAL good idea to throw a decent rope through the spring: top to bottom, and cinch it down while it's sitting on your bench...
    I've done this. I don't know if I'd suggest it; but it did work for me...
    I don't mean to give you a hard time about this suggested approach. I've never tried it so I can't say. And believe me, I've been in the Micky Mouse camp many times myself. Nor is caution really one of my strong suits. After all, I made a career out of running into burning buildings.

But I do think it important to make these observations. First, these springs are pretty stout. It takes 300+ lbs. of force for every inch of compression. You start with over 1" of compression. And you'll need about 2" more of compression to complete the job. That's a lot of energy to entrust to hose clamps.

It isn't so much that I want to push my Spring Compressor Tool Set. It's just that I want to advise against trading safety for expediency, at least in this instance. I have customized my spring compressors specifically to work with the front springs on the Spyder shocks. I charge $40.00 for the tool, which I will refund upon return. Or you can keep the tool if you prefer (which many have done). This is just about what these spring compressors cost me.

I tried several spring compressor tools available on the market. I didn't try any of the high dollar tools because they are not practical for the DIY installer. None of the tools I tried worked well and nearly all of them didn't work at all. Because what you need is a very beefy assembly with very small (very strong) spring hooks. You can get beefy compressors, but the spring hooks are way too big. You can get the small spring hooks needed, but the assembly is way too wimpy (read DANGEROUS).

So, I custom designed these Spring Compressors to make the install to go as smoothly and as safely as possible. But I must warn you. My spring compressors are by far the ugliest you will find anywhere!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-10-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After giving a little bit more thought to the natter: I wasn't using this backyard fix, on springs anywhere near as heavy as the Spyders...
    The first time, was on a set of Fox Shocks that I was putting on my Snowmobile...
    The Last time, was while changing the Springs on my Yamaha Grizzly.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I posted a video of my shock install in the DIY area

Ron sent the compressor set right out arrived to day and i did the job
    A Big thanks to Ron for making this tool