Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Headlight Modulators

Just curious if anyone here is using a Headlight Modulator or Brake Light Modulator on their Spyder.

IF SO, please share your experience and source for acquiring one.

Thank you!!!

Stay safe out there~
    Last edited by SpyderHands; 06-06-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

HiYa FLHANDSTER,

I have the brake modulator. It modulates all my brake lights when I step on the brakes. 3 or 4 real quick blinks.
    I really like it. Draws your eyes to it, when I brake. I got it from Reggie at TricLED.
    I have never liked the headlight modulators. To me, they are too distracting for oncoming drivers and could cause an accident.
    I instead had LED headlights & LED driving lights put in (also from TricLED). To me again, the white light from the LED's, are not distracting but do draw your eyes to them.

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 06-06-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Tommy's assessment of headlight modulators...
    NO amount of lights or technology; can take the place of Situational Awareness, and Defensive Driving...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would like to add a headlight modulator to, however I have been unable to find one from any manufacturer that is plug & play for my 2015 RTL. I will be watching your thread to see if you have better luck.

Spyder Garage

There is a guy who has headlight one in a croupe I drive with . Everyone hates it, I will not drive in front of him. I think they should be illegal.
    Kenn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the Gearbrake from www.gearbrake.com. In addition to flashing the brake lights it flashes them when you slow down before you step on the brake or if you are slowing for a curve and not using the brake. Quick and simple installation. If you are an AMA (American Motorcyclists Association, Not Medical) member you get a 15% discount.
    Last edited by joebryanjr; 06-06-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add information about discount.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    There is a guy who has headlight one in a croupe I drive with . Everyone hates it, I will not drive in front of him. I think they should be illegal.
    Kenn

I have one on my Valkyrie. When in a group, I turn the modulator off. Ask your friend to turn it off or put him in front to lead the way.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Modulators

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I have one on my Valkyrie. When in a group, I turn the modulator off. Ask your friend to turn it off or put him in front to lead the way.
    I haven't dealt with the Headlight modulators, have seen a few on goldwings coming toward me and not really impressed. I have the brake light modulator from custom dynamics that has about 17 different flash settings. I have it set to modulate for 7 seconds and then go steady brake light so not to annoy the people behind me at a stop light especially at night. It is very attention getting even in the daylight.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also have the brake light mod and its from back off. As far as headlight no one make one yet as the wiring is more complicated for most. There is a member on here who has donw it just do a search for it. And have the bike with one in the middle of the group kinda defeats why he has it.

Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FLHANDSTER View Post
    Just curious if anyone here is using a Headlight Modulator or Brake Light Modulator on their Spyder.

Thank you!!!

Stay safe out there~
    Believe it or not, if you run your headlights on low beams, the lights act as if you have a headlight modulator attached. They appear to blink anytime you hit a bump in the road. Some say they look like LEO lights trying to pull someone over.

Not a fan of modulators, so we run our lights on high beam all the time during daylight.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have the rivico soma led in addition to my stock brake lights they modulate fyi just the small leds my riding buddies say the mix of lights works great.

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    with Tommy's assessment of headlight modulators...
    NO amount of lights or technology; can take the place of Situational Awareness, and Defensive Driving...
    TRUE!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Believe it or not, if you run your headlights on low beams, the lights act as if you have a headlight modulator attached. They appear to blink anytime you hit a bump in the road. Some say they look like LEO lights trying to pull someone over.

Not a fan of modulators, so we run our lights on high beam all the time during daylight.
    that blinking from stock lights, is because the height adjustment is not right, and when you adjust them, insure you have some one sitting on the seat, and the ride control is on soft, and this only will keep the rider on the bike in front of you from complaining. just my opinion

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I run mine on high beam all the time also !!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    I run mine on high beam all the time also !!

Tommy J.
    We too!!!
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

A headlight modulator will stop a deer dead in it's tracks! Ask me how i know. Will NEVER run headlamp modulator again!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    A headlight modulator will stop a deer dead in it's tracks! Ask me how i know. Will NEVER run headlamp modulator again!
    Can you please explain? From what you said, it sounds like it would be a good thing then. Thanks in advance.
    HAND'S UP:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not good if they cause the deer to freeze in front of you. bang.

Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post

Sent From my Note 5
    OK. But, don't steady headlights do the same thing!?!
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    I haven't dealt with the Headlight modulators, have seen a few on goldwings coming toward me and not really impressed. I have the brake light modulator from custom dynamics that has about 17 different flash settings. I have it set to modulate for 7 seconds and then go steady brake light so not to annoy the people behind me at a stop light especially at night. It is very attention getting even in the daylight.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have noticed that the price point on the various brake light modulators on the market seem to vary up to a $50 range. For example, the Custom Dynamics modulator is priced at $129, over some of the others that run $60-79. What would you say makes the CD unit better or different?
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

Can you please explain? From what you said, it sounds like it would be a good thing then. Thanks in advance.
    Not a good thing as I have killed two deer with Goldwings. The last one was in 2013 at 55mph in Ukaha, California. Totaled a Goldwing and now the nerve in my left leg and foot. But I Will ride on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post

Sent From my Note 5
    Right on Bro!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheDiver View Post
    I would like to add a headlight modulator to, however I have been unable to find one from any manufacturer that is plug & play for my 2015 RTL. I will be watching your thread to see if you have better luck.
    I don't believe anyone is making a plug and play headlight modulator setup. I had one on my 2013 RT but I took it off when I sold the bike. With the shutter system and the design of the modulator to use both high and low beams, I had to use an extra relay to use the modulator as intended. It did not work smoothly. I didn't want the next owner to have to deal with my somewhat complicated setup. At the time I put it on the 2013 RT no modulators were available for LED bulbs, I wanted to use a modulator.

On my 2014 RT I decided to use LED headlight bulbs. There are a couple of companies now making modulators for LED headlight bulbs. I opted to use a Kisan modulator, but it's design forced me to revise the installation wiring I had used previously. Here is my posting about what I used and how I wired in the modulator.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...LED-headlights

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Not a good thing as I have killed two deer with Goldwings. The last one was in 2013 at 55mph in Ukaha, California.
    The chances of deer being on the road at the time when modulators are most useful, i.e., bright daylight, would be mighty slim I think. If the modulator is on when you are riding at dusk, then you could encounter deer as that is when deer are most active. But I have a hard time believing that a modulated light would cause a deer to freeze and quicker than a steady light. There is a reason for the phrase, "deer in the headlights." If one is riding at dusk where deer are common, and you think it may be a problem, turn the modulator off.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-06-2016 at 06:40 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

For my brake light modulator installation see this thread. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...trailer+wiring. I duplicated the setup on my 2014 RTS. Here's a video of how I set up the brake light modulation to work. The flash alternates between the stock brake lights and the high mount brake light. The video is of my 2013 RT but it's set up the same on my 2014 RTS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuxuhlr0xg...yder3.mp4?dl=0

The instructions from Signal Dynamics say to connect the modulator so the left and right brake lights alternate, but I didn't want to do that since that is how emergency vehicles are set up.

2014 Copper RTS