Spyder Garage

Default OMG is this true?

I just read a thread on here about belts tension for earlier rs machines should be 60 some lbs.... Is this true? Because right now mine is at 180lbs with kricket. Any info would be greatly appreciated on how to calculate it.

Thanks Andy

Last edited by SpyderAndyM; 06-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Don't remember seeing that. I see mostly between 100 to 200 lbs on the krikit but pretty sure 60 would be too low and you would have some belt slap going on. Your manual will tell you what it should be or have your dealer check it with the sonic measure...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Here's the link where I seen it.... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?92742-Smooth-spyder-tensioner-and-belt-question

Is this new spec's... I have a manual that says 1400 to 1600n

Here is something else I read....

Issue Reported: Aug 19, 2011
    Vehicle: 2008 Can-am Spyder RS
    NHTSA: Action Number: 876713 Service Bulletin Number: 10420748
    Component: power train:driveline
    Summary: Brp, despite issuing service bulletins about high drive belt tension, will not repair damage caused by the high tension specified in manufacture and service for their can am spyder roadster. Tsb 2010-06 advises reduced tension from 1400 newtons to 450 newtons to protect against damage to front output shaft and rear bearing failures. Consequently, costs to repair damage resulting from their original tension specification are assessed to the owner. Repair costs are in excess of $2,000. *tr

http://www.spyderlovers.com/spyderbu..._rev1%20en.pdf
    Last edited by SpyderAndyM; 06-05-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is one of those situations where context is important. The Service Bulletin 2010-06, which you have the link for, is the document that set your official specification down to 450 +/- 150 nm. Dealers would have received a service manual update page for that. Your copy of the service manual did not. So, that's your spec.

In order to address some customer concerns about belt vibration in various RPM bands, BRP issued a Technical Service Tip - Tip being the key word. They give guidance for lowering the belt tension which, as they explain, shifts the vibration band. I did not take that as a change in official specification; the thing isn't worded that way as you can see. Ron's been all over this and I don't think he did, either. But they didn't want to go too low, also, hence another tension setting with a band. I believe some folks have gone ahead and lowered their belt tension and found relief from vibration altogether.

Bottom line, set your tension in accordance with 2010-06 or lower, and you can use Ron's conversion numbers for using the Kricket gauge. So, your current value of 180 on the Kricket is OK.

I got this from another post from awhile back. Not able to find an original pdf yet. Enlarge it and it is easier to read.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-05-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

So the bottom line is set your belt tension to 450N +/- 150N (100 lbf +/- 30 lbf). Reminder and this is important, that is with the rear wheel off the ground. With the swingarm drop only limited by the shock being fully extended.

2018 F3 LIMITED