Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornering

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cornering

So guys, I've had my RS for about 4 years, just crossed about 15K miles. Now a majority of them are highway miles and I've decided that I recently wanted more of a curvy ride. Here's my issue, I wrecked a three wheeler a long time ago and now have a mental block when going around a corner like it's going to flip. What is an effective strategy for getting better at hitting the curves? Aside from just driving? And what are some of the corners ya'll tok and what speeds? Just curious. Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

The two wheels in the front are WAY more stable than the ATC's of old that have the two wheels in the rear. I had/have a Honda ATC 200X that I've flipped many times.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a bone stock 2014 RS-S. I routinely am able to take curves at double the posted (suggested) speed before the VSS gives me feedback. From experience on road like US 129, "The Dragon", I know that the VSS will cut power and apply brakes a bit if it deems my behavior inappropriate.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I don't worry too much about going fast through curves. The nanny will kick on and apply the brakes whether you want it to or not!!! I've personally never had this happen, but plenty of folks on here have!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    So guys, I've had my RS for about 4 years, just crossed about 15K miles. Now a majority of them are highway miles and I've decided that I recently wanted more of a curvy ride. Here's my issue, I wrecked a three wheeler a long time ago and now have a mental block when going around a corner like it's going to flip. What is an effective strategy for getting better at hitting the curves? Aside from just driving? And what are some of the corners ya'll tok and what speeds? Just curious. Thanks guys.
    First of all, just drive, and then drive some more. Second, as long as you stay at no more than about 5 mph above the signed speed for a curve you'll be OK. In time as confidence goes up and fear goes down your comfortable speed can go up. And lastly, you can count on Nanny slowing you down if you try to take a corner too fast. I have had Nanny not kick in until I'm about 20 mph above the signed speed on curves signed at 25+.

I tell people that I'm not going to say it's impossible to roll a Spyder, but it is very difficult to do so because of Nanny.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cornering speeds will vary based on experience and comfort level. Do your braking before the curve and accelerate slowly as you exit. Use the apex of the curve as you would on two wheels. Your confidence will increase over time, so be patient and ride the way that makes you comfortable.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only way to tell what your spyder is capable of doing is for you to just get out there and do it. Give it a try, and then push things a little more as you feel more comfortable. We have done some very nice curves in the NC/VA/SC/Tenn./Ga mountains. We will be doing it again this 6/15-19. When I was there last June, I was able to pass nearly every cruiser that I came across. I was in need of a rear tire, so there was a little drifting in the rear on the "Dragon", but the machine just kept asking for more. I should also mention that this was all done on a 2014 RT. I can only imagine how much more fun this could have been on a RS. Just get out there and give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

What is an effective strategy for getting better at hitting the curves? Aside from just driving? .
    well there is a lot of items that will help your machine handle the curves better which helps instill confidence. But to your question, a good way to get used to curves is to find a good mountain road and practice going uphill where you control more with the throttle than the brakes, lean your weight to the inside of the curve, try to maintain smooth throttle control. Going downhill on a curvy road feels completely different and takes more practice to get used to so I'd recommend slower speeds until your comfort level increases.
    Most of the time an experienced Spyder rider can handle curves higher than the posted speeds. [emoji16]

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The important thing is technique. There are right ways and wrong ways to go through curves. What comes natural is very bad technique and can really get you in trouble if you simply try to go faster with it. Braking before the curve, starting at the outside of the turn, apexing at the most efficient point and accelerating out of the curve to the right point in the roadway all require an understanding of what you're trying to accomplish, the forces involved, and practice. None are particularly difficult. But they are almost universally against our natural inclination and will most likely take retraining of your current approach. That is because the average person rides through curves by the seat of their pants instead of with their brain.

That is why one rider can go into a turn too hot and run off the road. And another rider can go through the same curve significantly faster with complete control on the same machine.

My advise is to take a class or find some way to learn the correct way to ride through curves. Believe me, it does not come naturally. Not only will it help to alleve your anxiety, but it will make you a significantly better rider in every situation.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-04-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I got a sway bar put in and that makes a difference. I may have to find a class if they offer them here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Remember your bike goes were you point your nose. Look at the road line a little in front of you , keep hand grip light, do not make short jerk motions on handle bars, curves are usally engineered very well once your into the turn not much more steering needed. It come easy once you get your confidence up.
    Be nice if you could find a low traveled area were you can take several curves turn around and take same curves over and
    over till confidence is up. Than do it again with more speed.
    Go have some fun Kenn

Spyder Garage

Like others have said start slow and work up your speed as the confidence grows. Tuck the inside knee in and push on the outside peg. Go into the curve in the gear that you want\need to come out of it.

Spyder Garage

What curves?

My Technique: I like to start slow and then taper off.

I thought the the "Grandmother" just reduced throttle and did not apply brakes. I've never had a chance

to use my brakes yet but when I do-------------.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The fastest guy in a race is the one who keeps his wheels the straightest. What that means is finding the straightest line possible in a curve will get you through it most efficiently. Also, all braking should be done before the front wheels begin to turn. If you find you're on the brakes during a turn, you probably entered too fast or don't have the correct line.

Practice practice practice.

Spyder Garage

buy the shock stiffener and put them in. i used the one i found on spyderlovers site. just did the tail of the dragon in tn. plus another 900 miles of curved roads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exactly what kind of three-wheeler di you wreck?
    The mental block you refer to; is the problem... Not your cornering technique.
    Separate that block from your brain, and you'll be home-free!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Your first issue is building up the confidence in the spyder keeping you safe in the turns. Ryding the byways at a below speed to start will do this and as your abilities and confidence grow you will get to your comfort zone or the nanny will let you know. Don't ask the nanny and I have a strange relationship. I have found ways to get around her but have come to depend on her most of the time....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nanny

The nanny works but I think too many people are implying that the nanny will keep you from harming yourself if you're riding stupid. If you enter a curve way too fast the nanny may react but may not save your butt. Best way is to learn to ride the spyder at speeds you're comfortable with and let the nanny do her thing if needed but don't count on it to keep you from getting hurt. Nanny reacting plus your panic reacting could well mean disaster. Counting on the nanny to overcome stupidity just won't get it . After you gain confidence in what the spyder can and will do , confidence in yourself will allow you to ride faster ....BUT ...only ride at speeds that you feel comfortable with. The life you save may be your own.

Spyder Garage

More of the same from me:

: Begin the curve at a comfortable speed. If you have to brake at the start, you are going to fast.

: Lean slightly into the curve. This will cut down on the "G" forces.

: Plant your outside foot on the floorboard or footpeg. Grab the tank with your knees.

: Work your way from the inside to the outside of the curve (staying between the lines).

: Apply as little pressure as possible to the handlebars. I use push pull. Pretend there are eggs between your hands and the hand grips. Don't break the eggs.

Once mastered, you can exceed the posted by about 20 mph if you dare.

Practice, practice, practice. It will soon become natural without thinking.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    More of the same from me:

: Begin the curve at a comfortable speed. If you have to brake at the start, you are going to fast.

: Lean slightly into the curve. This will cut down on the "G" forces.

: Plant your outside foot on the floorboard or footpeg. Grab the tank with your knees.

: Work your way from the inside to the outside of the curve (staying between the lines).

: Apply as little pressure as possible to the handlebars. I use push pull. Pretend there are eggs between your hands and the hand grips. Don't break the eggs.

Once mastered, you can exceed the posted by about 20 mph if you dare.

Practice, practice, practice. It will soon become natural without thinking.
    This sums it all up pretty darn well. Forget what that "other" three wheeler did. There is zero comparison between those death traps and the current Spyders. Just hop on the Spyder and ride at a comfortable pace. Practice will get you in the new comfort zone you're looking for. Find some well paved rolling, somewhat curvy roads and just ride...stop thinking about it. Loosen your grip on the bars and enjoy
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

#1: DONT ride beyond your skill level.

Gradually increase speed....but again....stay with current skill level and be careful.
    Lean into the corners. Centrifugal force can toss you off the bike.

Some say the Spyder can't be flipped....I don't believe it. It is a machine and has it's limits. I do believe it is much safer than a traditional trike.

When in doubt....go back to #1.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I have lifted one wheel a time or two, but thought that it was 1-2" today hit a sharp turn maybe a little fast, tilted away from me, and my right tire came up a good 6". I was looking right at it. No Nanny, but it did come down immediately. I agree with all of the above. Develop your confidence with the way the bike handles. I'd find an out of the way parking lot, get some plastic jugs, with some water in them and lay out a curve. Then just keep at it building up your speed. Then reverse it. Just like when you were a kid on your first bike, pretty soon you are "look mom no hands", much to her chagrin.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go with whatever speed you feel comfortable with. The more you ride twisty roads, the better and more comfortable you will feel. Spyders are really fun and a lot safer that regular trikes.

I do a lot of riding on twisty roads in my area. For the most part, I approach the turn about 30mph over the posted limit. I let off the throttle a little and down shift as I enter the turn, from the outside of the lane. As I hit the apex, I crank the throttle and come out of the turn nice and smooth and then upshift if the road straightens up. If it doesn't, I stay in the same gear and repeat the process. I usually go 20 to 25 above the speed limit through the turn. If I am going slower than that, I aint real happy. I don't have BajaRons swaybar on my 2015 RTS SM6 yet. I am still wondering if I need it or not. Seems to do okay without it. Might ride the Dragon this weekend or next if I can get a night off from work.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Best advice I heard was as you ride into a curve, put your chin over your hand of the direction you're turning (turning left...chin over the left hand). What is does is shift your body weight. The faster you go. ..get your chin closer to your hand.
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...