Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question 2013 Brake Pad Pin Torque?

I took the rear break caliper off and reassembled it. My 3 questions on reassembly references the manual's "brake pad pin" instructions. See picture.

1) The nomenclature referencing seems off. In the picture the manual identifies item 2 as a "retaining screw", but the torque specification refers to "Brake Pad Pins". I assume these names apply to the same component. Are they the same?
    2) If I've identified the right part, the torque value seems high at 34 lbf-ft. Can that small torx pad pin take 34 lbf-ft?
    3) Not stated in the manual, but I assume the torque value applies to the front "pad pins". Is this so?

When I removed the "pad pin" it broke with little force and had no loctite on it. My motorcycle pad pins use 13 lbf-ft with no loctite and require much more force than I used on this pin.

Right now I have a lot less than 34 lbf-ft on the "Pad Pin". If I have this wrong it's an easy fix when I have confidence 34 lbf-ft won't break the "pad pin" or strip the threads in the caliper.

Larger calipers on autos use this kind of torque but on this small caliper it seems wrong.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default In need of experienced opinion

Bump. Really need someone who has replaced brake pads opinion on the part and torque. Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Please assist, need answer

bump to top again. Surely someone has replaced brake pads and knows the answer to my questions. I'd be most grateful.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    bump to top again. Surely someone has replaced brake pads and knows the answer to my questions. I'd be most grateful.
    Put some blue locktite on the threads and snug it up, don't reef in it it's really not that critical how tight it is as long as it's snug.

What is in need of torquing are the caliper holding/ retention bolts and those are 77 ft/pounds.. There is no torque specks given for the retention screw that goes through the hole in the pads.

Hope this helps

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Put some blue locktite on the threads and snug it up, don't reef in it it's really not that critical how tight it is as long as it's snug.

What is in need of torquing are the caliper holding/ retention bolts and those are 77 ft/pounds.. There is no torque specks given for the retention screw that goes through the hole in the pads.

Hope this helps

Al in Kazoo
    Thanks so much! Kind of what I thought but I wasn't sure; it's why I asked. The manual was to vague or flat out wrong here. I'll do as you suggest.

I did torque the retention bolts to 77 lbf-ft.