Spyder Garage

Default Looking to buy RT Limited, need recommendations

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and live in NJ. I mention NJ so you understand the weather environment I will be riding in.

I hope to order a new RT Limited and would love to hear opinions on what options I should add.

I have never owned a Can-Am so have no idea on what not to waste my money on.

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Check EBay I have bought 2 canams at a great deal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where in New Jersey are you? I realize that the traffic patterns can be tough, so you'd be better-off looking only at 2014 or newer bikes. They'd be the ones that can best handle the heat in the traffic jams.
    The Chief difference between the Limited, and the "S" model: the Limited gets the factory-installed GPS.
    Of course; you also get more chrome, and some luggage also!
    The Base model doesn't get the automatic ride-height adjusting rear suspension, and it might also lack some other basic amenities...
    The fun part is the shopping... Things get tense, when it's time to sign the checks!!
    Ask anything that you can think up, and we'll be glad to help!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The RT comes in three "Flavors"

RT Basic

RTS (or RTSS, (RT Special Series))

RT Limited

Lot of differences between the basic and others, floorboards, Adjustable Air Ride suspension, etc, etc. go for at least the RTs

Main difference between the RT limited and the RTs (or RTSS) is a built in GPS and Chrome and one piece of luggage for the front trunk (aka The Frunk)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Where in NJ.....If you are in Southern NJ. Go to Atlantic City Cycle Center on the white horse pike in Hammonton and see Tyler and Ed Good people and a great service team.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and live in NJ. I mention NJ so you understand the weather environment I will be riding in.

I hope to order a new RT Limited and would love to hear opinions on what options I should add.

I have never owned a Can-Am so have no idea on what not to waste my money on.

Thank you.
    Not sure where in N.J you are but take a look at http://smithmarineusa.com,they are in Doylestown,just north of Phila.I bought my RT Ltd there last fall and got 7000.00 off the list price,see Chuck he is the owner,he has several 2015 leftovers marked down.Great people and place to deal with.They were one of the first spyder dealers,they have been dealing with ski doos and sea doos for over 25years.
    Last edited by slick999; 06-02-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default RT-S

In March of 2016 we selected a 2015 RT-S for this reason: I did not want to spend my time polishing/cleaning chrome. The dealer we bought from made us a great deal to clear out a 2015 model and threw in the GPS and mount for free. So we got the best of both worlds - saved $$ and no chrome for me to worry about keeping clean.

Tom N Tonja

Spyder Garage

Default Extras

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    The RT comes in three "Flavors"

RT Basic

RTS (or RTSS, (RT Special Series))

RT Limited

Lot of differences between the basic and others, floorboards, Adjustable Air Ride suspension, etc, etc. go for at least the RTs

Main difference between the RT limited and the RTs (or RTSS) is a built in GPS and Chrome and one piece of luggage for the front trunk (aka The Frunk)

Cruzr Joe
    2015 Red RT Limited, Spyderpops BumpSkid W/Lights, Kott Grills, Rock Guard, Ground Effect Lights, Hitch Plate, Foam Grips, Spyclop light, BRP Back Rest & Hitch, Lamonster NBV Pegs, Show Chrome Arm Rests, Cup Holders, Rack & Iron Rider Bag, TricLed Grips & Turn Signals, Baja Ron Sway Bar, Links & Shock Adjusters, Bad Boy Horn, Chrome Collapsible Antenna, In dash VoltMeter & Dual USB, Flag Holder, Freedom Trailer W/ Spyderpops Lighted Rear Bumpskid, UltraGuard 1/2 Cover
    Joe, thanks. You list all these extras in your signature. Which might you consider essential and where did you buy them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Where in New Jersey are you? I realize that the traffic patterns can be tough, so you'd be better-off looking only at 2014 or newer bikes. They'd be the ones that can best handle the heat in the traffic jams.
    The Chief difference between the Limited, and the "S" model: the Limited gets the factory-installed GPS.
    Of course; you also get more chrome, and some luggage also!
    The Base model doesn't get the automatic ride-height adjusting rear suspension, and it might also lack some other basic amenities...
    The fun part is the shopping... Things get tense, when it's time to sign the checks!!
    Ask anything that you can think up, and we'll be glad to help!
    Thanks Bob, What was the issue with 'heat' on the older models and how is it better now?

Spyder Garage

Where in Jersey are you? There are many ways to go with options and you have to decide which to add. I recommend that if you haven't already, start on the BRP website and build your Spyder with the options you like from BRP to get an idea of what you like. For example when I purchased mine I added XM radio and an additional power outlet. It definitely cost me more than if I added these later, but I wanted the XM radio integrated into the audio of the bike and felt I would need the additional power outlet from the beginning.
    Anyway, from reading the posts here I find that most begin with functional lighting to help make the Spyder more visible and dress her up a bit. A big add-on is to install LEDs on the mirrors so that not only can you see the turn signals more easily, but surrounding vehicles will see your intent to turn clearer as well. After that improving the suspension and personal comfort issues such as seats, highway pegs, radio speakers, cup holders, etc. are high on the list. Then comes personalizing the Spyder. This may include wraps, art work, decorative lighting, painting, etc.
    If you want send me a PM with your telephone # and we can talk about your adventure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyspyder View Post
    Where in Jersey are you? There are many ways to go with options and you have to decide which to add. I recommend that if you haven't already, start on the BRP website and build your Spyder with the options you like from BRP to get an idea of what you like. For example when I purchased mine I added XM radio and an additional power outlet. It definitely cost me more than if I added these later, but I wanted the XM radio integrated into the audio of the bike and felt I would need the additional power outlet from the beginning.
    Anyway, from reading the posts here I find that most begin with functional lighting to help make the Spyder more visible and dress her up a bit. A big add-on is to install LEDs on the mirrors so that not only can you see the turn signals more easily, but surrounding vehicles will see your intent to turn clearer as well. After that improving the suspension and personal comfort issues such as seats, highway pegs, radio speakers, cup holders, etc. are high on the list. Then comes personalizing the Spyder. This may include wraps, art work, decorative lighting, painting, etc.
    If you want send me a PM with your telephone # and we can talk about your adventure.
    Thank you JerseySpyder. Some of the things you mention are exactly the sort of recommendations I am looking for. For example I was wondering about Cup Holders and I am worried about visibility for safety reasons. That is why I am looking at a Can-Am instead of a motorcycle. Other drivers just don't see motorcycles. I value my life.

First I need to know what is worth ordering from BRP before placing an order - what options work well and which are a waste of money. For example the optional wind deflectors. Are they good, or a waste? Etc.

Then I need to know about aftermarket stuff. I am sure there is a long list here, but I am more interested in functional stuff than pretty add-ons.

I live in Mercer County.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Thanks Bob, What was the issue with 'heat' on the older models and how is it better now?
    THAT; is the $64,000 dollar question!
    The original RTs (2010, to 2013), had a single radiator, that was mounted in front of the rider's right foot. The heat coming from it was often reported as being VERY uncomfortable.
    But it went deeper than that!
    The 998 Vee-Twin engine had it's exhaust system wrapped around the sides of the bike; just underneath the bodywork. It would (in extreme circumstances...) literally cook the components that were nearby.

For the new 1330 bikes; the exhaust is routed underneath the engine, and the radiators (Now there's two of them) are mounted in front of the front suspension A-Arms. The fans are also now set up to actually reverse their direction at low speeds, and blow the hot air forward...

It's a much cooler setup!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    THAT; is the $64,000 dollar question!
    The original RTs (2010, to 2013), had a single radiator, that was mounted in front of the rider's right foot. The heat coming from it was often reported as being VERY uncomfortable.
    But it went deeper than that!
    The 998 Vee-Twin engine had it's exhaust system wrapped around the sides of the bike; just underneath the bodywork. It would (in extreme circumstances...) literally cook the components that were nearby.

For the new 1330 bikes; the exhaust is routed underneath the engine, and the radiators (Now there's two of them) are mounted in front of the front suspension A-Arms. The fans are also now set up to actually reverse their direction at low speeds, and blow the hot air forward...

It's a much cooler setup!
    Good to know. Thank you. No older used ones for me.

Spyder Garage

Default IMHO

I would consider the RTS model. 2014 and newer (the 1330 cc engine far superior to 998cc, in sooo many ways).
    Extra lighting a must have to be seen (highly recommend TricLED.com absolute the best people and products);
    BajaRon SwayBar with metal helm links;
    Diamond R cupholders (as strange as it seems...I had to be assured the F3 would adapt to my Diamond R cupholders before it was a purchase (diamondraccessories.com).
    Larger brake pedal pad (again TricLED).
    Adding mods can and maybe never ending as you customize the ryde to you.
    My first RT I bought was the base model, literally bought sight unseen off the internet (had no knowledge and no dealer close )...then spent a lot of money making it my personal ryde. Second RT was the RTS because like others have mentioned I had no desire to deal with Chrome and didn't need a high priced GPS.
    One of the very most important is to have a dealer with a superior TECH/Service Dept. Any dealer can sell you a Spyder...as you will read here on SL...some of the tech's are far less than knowlegable. Personally I deal with Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, MO (2000 miles from where I live in WA state)...because they assemble the machines correctly. Many many issues plague owners and the one consistent is how the machine was originally assembled. I am 100% not mechanical and rely on those techs to do it right.
    The Spyder is the absolute best IMHO...keep us posted and you know that PICTURES are required when you "seal the deal"...
    Happy miles of smiles heading your way..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I would consider the RTS model. 2014 and newer (the 1330 cc engine far superior to 998cc, in sooo many ways).
    Extra lighting a must have to be seen (highly recommend TricLED.com absolute the best people and products);
    BajaRon SwayBar with metal helm links;
    Diamond R cupholders (as strange as it seems...I had to be assured the F3 would adapt to my Diamond R cupholders before it was a purchase (diamondraccessories.com).
    Larger brake pedal pad (again TricLED).
    Adding mods can and maybe never ending as you customize the ryde to you.
    My first RT I bought was the base model, literally bought sight unseen off the internet (had no knowledge and no dealer close )...then spent a lot of money making it my personal ryde. Second RT was the RTS because like others have mentioned I had no desire to deal with Chrome and didn't need a high priced GPS.
    One of the very most important is to have a dealer with a superior TECH/Service Dept. Any dealer can sell you a Spyder...as you will read here on SL...some of the tech's are far less than knowlegable. Personally I deal with Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, MO (2000 miles from where I live in WA state)...because they assemble the machines correctly. Many many issues plague owners and the one consistent is how the machine was originally assembled. I am 100% not mechanical and rely on those techs to do it right.
    The Spyder is the absolute best IMHO...keep us posted and you know that PICTURES are required when you "seal the deal"...
    Happy miles of smiles heading your way..
    Good stuff, thank you.