Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I pod connector

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I pod connector

I have a 2015 RTS which we bought new last year. I have been trying to connect my ipod through a lightning connector, has anybody had trouble with the factory connector not working? My Aux cord works fine with it but not the cord for the ipod. Seems like Can-Am would have the new lightning cords with them now but they don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What sort of adapter are you using? We've heard reports in here, that the Apple lighting adapter is the only one that'll preserve full-functioning capability...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was using my iPhone 6 but it kept locking up about an hour using it. I now use an iPod touch 2nd generation and it works great. You should be able to find an 8gb one on craigslist for about $30 to $35 Price range. Now my phone is freed up so I can stop and take pictures or use the phone. I found a fourth-generation iPod for $35 for friends RT and it works fantastic also.

ToM
    Keep it simple
    Life is good
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What sort of adapter are you using? We've heard reports in here, that the Apple lighting adapter is the only one that'll preserve full-functioning capability...
    That's true. There are a lot of Chinese knock-off's available on the internet that don't work very well. Get a lightning-to-30-pin adapter that is made by Apple. I have no problem with mine plugged into my 2013 RT, when I use a newer iPod. (But mostly I dedicate an older nano 4th generation to the Spyder and don't need the adaptor.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

4th Generation? Is that the one that's about the size of a Saltine Cracker?
    (That's the one that I use... )

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

4th Generation? Is that the one that's about the size of a Saltine Cracker?
    (That's the one that I use... )
    The 2nd and the 4th generation ipod touch is the same size. The only thing I see different is the power button. On the 2nd the power button is on the top right and on the 4th its on the top left.

ToM
    Keep it simple
    Life is good
    Life is Great
    ToM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Tom,
    Now I know that my Saltine Cracker is a 4th generation...

Spyder Garage

the only adapter that comes with the 2015 RT is a 30 pin Apple or the RCA plug, if you want to use a Lightning plug you will have to get a 30 pin to lightning adapter.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default I pod connector

Agree with all above. Fyi what i use is the apple 30to lightning adapter, it allows my phone 5 to do all ipod functions & gps can talk thru radio too. Helps to just tuck phone upright in frunk liner pocket. Most of time i just keep it on the ipod & it clips to the pocket too think is a shuffle not sure what gen.

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-28-2016 at 12:37 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Tom,
    Now I know that my Saltine Cracker is a 4th generation...
    You've got the same one as I do, except mine plays better music.

I couldn't tell you where the power button is without looking. I never use it. It always stays on and connected to my Spyder, and sitting in my "official" BRP iPod pouch with the "Y" on it. I also keep an Apple "lightning-to-30-pin" adaptor in that pouch for times when I want to use the newer 7th generation iPod nano that's in my car.

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    You've got the same one as I do, except mine plays better music.
    What have you got against:
    Uriah Heep
    AC/DC
    Black Sabbath
    Johnny Winter
    Yngwie Malmsteen (Try spelling THAT, after a couple of beers! )
    or
    Blue Oyster Cult?

Spyder Garage

I've had nothing but grief from my ipod connector (2015 RTS) as well. They've replaced the dongle cable, but still does not work.

I finally gave up and have it connected via bluetooth to my helmet.

I've tried three various ipods, as well as my iphone 6 with the apple 30pin -> lightening adaptor. The screen just shows aux, and no ipod information.

It's very disappointing, and if I had more energy to deal with their lack of dealing with this, it's probably something that a class action suit might get their (and the press) attention.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Bob, I believe you just proved my point.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might just be right... I think my selection, is what caused the left front speaker to commit suicide.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post
    I've had nothing but grief from my ipod connector (2015 RTS) as well. They've replaced the dongle cable, but still does not work.

I've tried three various ipods, as well as my iphone 6 with the apple 30pin -> lightening adaptor. The screen just shows aux, and no ipod information.

It's very disappointing, and if I had more energy to deal with their lack of dealing with this, it's probably something that a class action suit might get their (and the press) attention.

-Fratz
    I wonder if you have a loose cable connection. It might be worth a shot to remove the small black panel below the the passenger right-side hand grip, and push a bit on the cables connected to your radio. They should both snap into place with a definite click.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-28-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

After doing a lot of research on this board. I felt confident to go with the iPod nano gen 7 from Amazon for $108 new and the apple brand 30 pin to lighntning adapter. Works flawlessly and have full control from handle bars. Using the apple brand from the Apple Store is a must. $29 I think.
    2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

I used to have an Ipod in the back for music. I went the Bluetooth route Lamont spoke of awhile back and love it. I don't really use my I tunes music much anymore on the Spyder or at home. I have an Amazon prime account, I run it through an app on my phone. With amazon music you have access to 1000's of songs and a bunch of different music stations. You can make your own playlists or use their playlists. It's not free, I think it's $99.00 a year now. You do get a lot of other stuff besides the music. For me it's seems a bargain compared to satellite radio.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    With amazon music you have access to 1000's of songs and a bunch of different music stations. You can make your own playlists or use their playlists.
    As long as you have a cell connection. You start wandering around on secondary roads in the west and plains states and you can easily find yourself with spotty cell service.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    As long as you have a cell connection. You start wandering around on secondary roads in the west and plains states and you can easily find yourself with spotty cell service.
    You do need cell service or your home internet to download the music to your library, but you do not need cell service to listen to music on the road. We have the same spotty cellular service in Minnesota too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrprts View Post
    After doing a lot of research on this board. I felt confident to go with the iPod nano gen 7 from Amazon for $108 new and the apple brand 30 pin to lighntning adapter. Works flawlessly and have full control from handle bars. Using the apple brand from the Apple Store is a must. $29 I think.
    I set an iPod 7th gen myself. Works perfectly with my 30pin to lightning Apple cord. I also bought an off brand adaptor cord, bad news, it would only charge.
    Learned my lesson and now will only buy real Apple adapters and cords from now on.
    Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

FYI the lightening connector is very susceptible to vibration causing the connection to break. When it does the radio won't reconnect and may switch to AUX.

It is important when using the lightening adapter to make sure the phone and adapter is mounted in a way so they cannot move independently of each other thus causing vibration to cause a temporary disconnect.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post

-Fratz

A class action lawsuit because your IPOD don't work right???? C'mon folks get real.

I have an IPOD 3 and it works correct every time. Spyders are setup to work with the 30 pin hook-up.

If you have something else try to find the proper connector.

The 16s will work with a USB stick or an IPOD with the proper connector.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 05-29-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

What have you got against:
    Uriah Heep
    AC/DC
    Black Sabbath
    Johnny Winter
    Yngwie Malmsteen (Try spelling THAT, after a couple of beers! )
    or
    Blue Oyster Cult?
    More Cowbell !

Spyder Garage

Default Ipod Nano 7th Gen now working on '14 RT Limited

Thanks for all the information posted here. I've been pulling my hair out (not a lot left) trying to get my iPod Nano 7th Generation (A1446) to work on my RT Limited. My OLD Nano 3rd Gen with a 30 pin connector worked fine but was starting to have internal problems. I went to the Apple Store today and bought the OFFICIAL "Lightning to 30-pin Adapter", tried it and after some of the usual incantations and hand wringing, I got it to work. I'm going to velcro everything (CanAm cable, iPod, Lightning adapter to the rear case wall so nothing vibrates loose. Now I have "tunes" to ride by, all pumped through my Sena Bluetooth adapter to my helmet speakers.

You'd think this should be a no-brainer, but "No!".

-Doug

Spyder Garage

All I know is my manual says the '16 F3L will only work with a 5th gen and newer. My 4th gen iPod I used on my '14 RTL no longer works.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk