Thread: I pod connector

Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I pod connector

I have a 2015 RTS which we bought new last year. I have been trying to connect my ipod through a lightning connector, has anybody had trouble with the factory connector not working? My Aux cord works fine with it but not the cord for the ipod. Seems like Can-Am would have the new lightning cords with them now but they don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What sort of adapter are you using? We've heard reports in here, that the Apple lighting adapter is the only one that'll preserve full-functioning capability...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What sort of adapter are you using? We've heard reports in here, that the Apple lighting adapter is the only one that'll preserve full-functioning capability...
    That's true. There are a lot of Chinese knock-off's available on the internet that don't work very well. Get a lightning-to-30-pin adapter that is made by Apple. I have no problem with mine plugged into my 2013 RT, when I use a newer iPod. (But mostly I dedicate an older nano 4th generation to the Spyder and don't need the adaptor.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

4th Generation? Is that the one that's about the size of a Saltine Cracker?
    (That's the one that I use... )

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    4th Generation? Is that the one that's about the size of a Saltine Cracker?
    (That's the one that I use... )
    The 2nd and the 4th generation ipod touch is the same size. The only thing I see different is the power button. On the 2nd the power button is on the top right and on the 4th its on the top left.

ToM
    Keep it simple
    Life is good
    Life is Great
    ToM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Tom,
    Now I know that my Saltine Cracker is a 4th generation...

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was using my iPhone 6 but it kept locking up about an hour using it. I now use an iPod touch 2nd generation and it works great. You should be able to find an 8gb one on craigslist for about $30 to $35 Price range. Now my phone is freed up so I can stop and take pictures or use the phone. I found a fourth-generation iPod for $35 for friends RT and it works fantastic also.

ToM
    Keep it simple
    Life is good
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Default I pod connector

Agree with all above. Fyi what i use is the apple 30to lightning adapter, it allows my phone 5 to do all ipod functions & gps can talk thru radio too. Helps to just tuck phone upright in frunk liner pocket. Most of time i just keep it on the ipod & it clips to the pocket too think is a shuffle not sure what gen.

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-28-2016 at 12:37 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

So I've got an NTouch iPod Integration Cable that came with my 2012 RTS A&C. It only says Aux and doesn't always connect. EVERY TIME I hit a bump, it quits working. I was told this was the cable that came with my trike when it was bought new from dealership (1 prev owner who is a friend). I've asked about this before and basically got told "yeah, that doesn't work for anybody...use an iPhone." So I gave up on it. Now I'm annoyed and that makes me bull-headed. So I want to fix this.

So there's this round 7-pin female in the trunk (right side). I'm supposed to plug this pigtail in there that has a short coax loooking cable to a box the size of 1.5 Zippo lighters and then another cable running out the same end (back whence it came) to an iPod 30 pin connector. It says NTouch on it, and has no other visible markings.

I need to know what I can do to reliably run an iPod Nano (gen 6) or have a dependable Bluetooth interface to the speakers on my Spyder that will let me run Amazon Music via my Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm open to either approach, but I am sick and tired of not having anything but radio on my Spyder. Please help!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    So I've got an NTouch iPod Integration Cable that came with my 2012 RTS A&C. It only says Aux and doesn't always connect. EVERY TIME I hit a bump, it quits working. I was told this was the cable that came with my trike when it was bought new from dealership (1 prev owner who is a friend). I've asked about this before and basically got told "yeah, that doesn't work for anybody...use an iPhone." So I gave up on it. Now I'm annoyed and that makes me bull-headed. So I want to fix this.

So there's this round 7-pin female in the trunk (right side). I'm supposed to plug this pigtail in there that has a short coax loooking cable to a box the size of 1.5 Zippo lighters and then another cable running out the same end (back whence it came) to an iPod 30 pin connector. It says NTouch on it, and has no other visible markings.

I need to know what I can do to reliably run an iPod Nano (gen 6) or have a dependable Bluetooth interface to the speakers on my Spyder that will let me run Amazon Music via my Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm open to either approach, but I am sick and tired of not having anything but radio on my Spyder. Please help!
    I don't know the details, but sometime in 2012 I believe, the cable you have was replaced by a different cable without the little box. Changes were made in the radio itself also. Maybe your dealer can find out for you which cable you need to use by checking your VIN. It might be that your 6th gen iPod isn't compatible with the early 2012 RT that uses the cable with the box.

Your best bet is to search this forum for iPod and 2012 and see what you can find. The issue of iPod problems has been discussed in the past.

As for the Samsung option get the audio cable that has a 3.5 mm stereo plug on it, and a BT receiver. Lamont sells a good receiver, or you can find one at many other outlets. Plug the receiver into the cable and pair your phone to it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I don't know the details, but sometime in 2012 I believe, the cable you have was replaced by a different cable without the little box. Changes were made in the radio itself also. Maybe your dealer can find out for you which cable you need to use by checking your VIN. It might be that your 6th gen iPod isn't compatible with the early 2012 RT that uses the cable with the box.

Your best bet is to search this forum for iPod and 2012 and see what you can find. The issue of iPod problems has been discussed in the past.

As for the Samsung option get the audio cable that has a 3.5 mm stereo plug on it, and a BT receiver. Lamont sells a good receiver, or you can find one at many other outlets. Plug the receiver into the cable and pair your phone to it.
    That's exactly what I suspected the problem was, because I have read almost everything related on these forums via multiple searches over the past 2 years. I think I probably will go with the bluetooth solution from Lamonster. It sounds like everyone is pretty happy with that, and I actually prefer the Amazon Music w/Prime via my Galaxy S7 to iTunes music. I have a couple of playlists loaded on the phone's memory and it has streaming options. I read that the bluetooth receiver he offers is compatible with that stuff. I have no interest in 2-way voice or even GPS. So the more costly Sena systems and what not don't appeal to me. Thank you for your help/advice!

Spyder Garage

Hah! Problem solved!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Hah! Problem solved!
    What was your solution to the problem???

Never mind I just read your other thread on this issue. Thanks.
    Last edited by seaweed; 02-11-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added info.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Can you post a photo of the whole connection? My original cable and 40GB IPod Classic work great.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020