Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default "BJ" Brake Job completed

I finally got time to getting around to change my pads. I ordered the pads from the dealer, the new improved pads as they attempted to give me the old ones. I had it in there a few months ago for something else and the guy said I needed new pads. I didn't really agree at 5500 miles but whatever, I ordered them anyway. On the way to my buddies house to start the work, the squeeling was getting pretty bad.
    The work itself was very easy and had all the pads changed in less than an hour. Getting the locking clips off the back bolts was the hardest part. After inspecting the pads themselves, I don't see how they really needed to be replaced at all.
    I have already opened up a ticket with BRP and the rep stated that after I changed the pads, if they looked like there were not that worn, BRP would pick up the cost. I am taking them to the dealer later this week. Here are some pics, what do you guys think.
    I also got the brake fault error which was cleared by turning it on and holding down the brake.
    After the ride home..NOT one noise from the new pads. The pedal was nice and stiff and now I finally have a parking break that works.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PADS

Was it pretty easy to change the pads?

Spyder Garage

I agree that it looks like there is still some life left in those old pads. Our dealership's service guy told us the same thing at about the same mileage. I had to pay for the pads but the labor was free. Also, they put some type of brake squeal reducer on the back of the new pads and I have ridden with nice, quiet brakes ever since. I know there has to be more brake life on the pads than 6,000 miles. Lamonster is riding on the same pads with over 25,000 miles now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the pads were very easy to change. Two bolts on each brake. The hardest part was getting the locking clips back on the back bolts. The pads themselves just clip in on the caliber. Brakes are quite and seem to be very responsive. I am going to take them to the dealer and have BRP pay for them I hope. I know I am pretty hard on my brakes but 6000 miles is just crazy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Interesting. My Spyder is in the shop right now for Brakes and the 6k mile service. I was told front brakes were fine it was just the rear that needed replacing but i am hoping doing all of them will get rid of the squeal.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Make sure they use the new pads. My dealer attempted to sell me thier pads they had in stock which are the old ones. BRP has told all dealers to send them back and get the replacment pads. I guess my dealer missed that message as they stated "we talked to BRP and didn't have a service bullentin", and then I printed it and showed it to them and they said..ohh. The back brakes take about 15 minutes really and does not take a mechanic to do it.

Spyder Garage

Default Question about brake pads

I have a friend that the dealer replaced brake pads and with around 3,000 miles on those pads, she is told she needs them replaced again. Is this possible? the shop that rerplaced the pads are the ones that tells her she needs new ones. I told her to find receipt as something is not right. How do you tell if old pads are being sold? Are the boxes different?
    Last edited by lesleyh; 08-31-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Interesting. My Spyder is in the shop right now for Brakes and the 6k mile service. I was told front brakes were fine it was just the rear that needed replacing but i am hoping doing all of them will get rid of the squeal.
    All three brakes are applied at the same time. Why was your rear pads worn out??? And the front ones not?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lesleyh View Post
    I have a friend that the dealer replaced brake pads and with around 3,000 miles on those pads, she is told she needs them replaced again. Is this possible? the shop that rerplaced the pads are the ones that tells her she needs new ones. I told her to find receipt as something is not right. How do you tell if old pads are being sold? Are the boxes different?
    Me thinks they see a woman and are taking advantage of her. I would get an appointment with the state Consumer Fraud Division and set this dealer up and bust him if he is doing unneeded repairs.
    Last edited by Dudley; 08-31-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lesleyh View Post

I think someone posted here about BRP brake pad wear and when to change them. It seems to me that the BRP pads are pretty thin to begin with and they are intended to wear right down to almost nothing. For some reason, 1mm is sticking in my mind. I may try searching to find the info that I think I'm recalling.... The search isn't looking good though as I'm feeling quite lazy at the moment.

EDIT: I felt guilty after posting that last comment so I did go find the post.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...06&postcount=6
    Last edited by bjt; 08-31-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

what was the cost of the new pads? I have been thinking about doing this to just to get rid of the squeal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patches View Post
    Yes, the pads were very easy to change. Two bolts on each brake. The hardest part was getting the locking clips back on the back bolts. The pads themselves just clip in on the caliber. Brakes are quite and seem to be very responsive.
    Thanks for sharing - did you remove the wheels to get access to the caliper and bolts to get the pads off/on?

Quote Originally Posted by gjco View Post
    what was the cost of the new pads? I have been thinking about doing this to just to get rid of the squeal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjco View Post
    oem front pads $55.49 Don't know if these are the "new" pads
    oem rear pads $27.99
    @

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS