Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    This is the third time I've read this entire thread over the past few months. Today, as in past readings, I'm still in awe at some of the obstacles we can overcome. Hy hat's off to all my enabled friends. Life may not have played out like we expected, but I see an awful lot of "Lemonade" out there rather than "Lemons". Bless you all.
    Ride in comfort,
    John
    Thanks my friend. Our lives May change. But our spirit prevails over our trials and tribulations. Ride Safe Happy Trails.

Spyder Garage

I always worry about this When my husband parks in disabled parking spaces. My husband has afib, COPD, and has just had bypass surgery so he can't drive at all for one month or drive a Spyder for 3 months. He had a previous heart attack and gets tired quickly and short of breath walking long distances. But he looks normal, so people don't always see the disability. Just happy he will still be able to enjoy riding with me in the future
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2023 at 09:23 PM. Reason: parks ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have been confronted more than I like to say. Even with a H/C plate on the bike been called a cheat and a few other terms. I have gone thru 29 major surgeries on my legs back hips arms shoulders and #30 happens on the 10th to repaice my Knee and pin into the leg bones due to my bones Die for unknown reason. As long as they can rebuild me I keep on going. Yes a spider has kept me riding and having fun. I even bought a new camper this year, so my "disability" has slowed me down but not stopped me. I agree with all who get tired of people saying you don't look disabled so why are you abusing the system? I did ask one person what a disabled person looked like and he said a few interesting words and walked away. I did one summer when a person wanted to know why I was disabled and didn't look like one I dropped my pants and showed him all my scars. He had nothing to say after that. I laughed all the way home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My uncle had 2 major heart attacks (@ 55). Had to live with extreme limitations (hated it). Looking at him he was built like a bull, if not these attacks would have killed him right away. People were never understanding, it did kill him a short time later. God bless and strength to all of you out there with your own issues, whether they show or not. I now completely understand and sympathize because of this.
    Last edited by Saluda; 12-05-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

The third time I have read this from top to bottom now. Thank you all for posting your stories and comments.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The third time I have read this from top to bottom now. Thank you all for posting your stories and comments.
    You are welcome my friend.Happy Trails

Spyder Garage

I, too have read this thread more than once. It is a good reminder for me to keep an open mind open and not judge others. Right now, I am in a walking boot due to surgery. I am still able to ride because the surgery was on my left foot. I did not ask for, or need any special parking. I am able to negotiate the parking lots for any reasonable distance. I want to leave the handicap parking spots for those in need, weather the disability is obvious or not. My condition is temporary. Having experienced a short term "disability", I have the highest respect for those who live with long term issues and live life to the fullest..... Ride on..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I, too have read this thread more than once. It is a good reminder for me to keep an open mind open and not judge others. Right now, I am in a walking boot due to surgery. I am still able to ride because the surgery was on my left foot. I did not ask for, or need any special parking. I am able to negotiate the parking lots for any reasonable distance. I want to leave the handicap parking spots for those in need, weather the disability is obvious or not. My condition is temporary. Having experienced a short term "disability", I have the highest respect for those who live with long term issues and live life to the fullest..... Ride on..... Jim
    I to want to thank you all for sharing your experiences with us. I have read a lot of these post also. And hope all is going well for you. It's nice that we can share our lives with each Other and know that we have friends that we've not meet to hear about their goings on and see how they have overcome things. So thanks again to you all and let's all keep in touch. Happy Trails Ride Safe, Ride Often my Friends.:

Spyder Garage

I saw this recently and it impacted me deeply. I don’t think the same way after reading this thread and the saying below:

“BE KIND, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

God bless you all who pave the way for those of us needing inspiration.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

From my own experience the problem starts with uneducated people and the universal (ISA) symbol depicting a person in a wheelchair.
    I’m a 100% disabled Veteran and although I do not look like I have any physical limitations, I have quite a few. I have had a disabled parking placard since 2015. I rarely use it due to fact I know there are persons far worse off than me, however there are some days the pain is unbearable, and I refuse to be on pain meds all the time, so I deal with it and still do the things I enjoy and on those days I parked in the disabled parking.
    I have been blasted a few times for parking in the disabled parking spot. Both times I was told well you don't look disabled, I politely asked what a disabled person looks like. Once I was met with the answer that I was not in a wheelchair and that according to the emblem on the placard it shows a person in a wheelchair and that I do not match that description. I explained that is the universal (ISA) emblem and that it does not mean you have to be in a chair to be disabled and then told them to educate themselves.

On a positive note just two days ago I put disabled plates on both my Q7 and Spyder. Maryland has a benefit for 100% disabled Veterans where it does not cost anything, and the tags are permanent never have to register the vehicles again.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the video! I am still adjusting to my unseen disability as this is all new for me.

July 2,2023 I had a massive stroke at 44 years old. I got very lucky in both where I was and my recovery (link to video below) but it has slightly limited the use of my left hand. Life has changed some as I learn my limitations (I hate that word) and finding the spyder allowing me to return to riding is amazing. The video link to my story is below. I am luckily avoiding the pacemaker by having an ablation on Friday (Mar 1) .. They talk about it being routine but messing with one's heart is scary ..They do them as out patient now with no hospital time so that's a plus. At this point I have had catheters in my brain so why not my heart I guess.

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement!!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...73878214938165

Spyder Garage

I don't have no disabilities, just a few minor inconvieniences. The car load of teenagers driving grandmas car and parking in the disabled spots are the ones with disabilities.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spades2319 View Post
    Thank you for the video! I am still adjusting to my unseen disability as this is all new for me.

July 2,2023 I had a massive stroke at 44 years old. I got very lucky in both where I was and my recovery (link to video below) but it has slightly limited the use of my left hand. Life has changed some as I learn my limitations (I hate that word) and finding the spyder allowing me to return to riding is amazing. The video link to my story is below. I am luckily avoiding the pacemaker by having an ablation on Friday (Mar 1) .. They talk about it being routine but messing with one's heart is scary ..They do them as out patient now with no hospital time so that's a plus. At this point I have had catheters in my brain so why not my heart I guess.

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement!!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...73878214938165
    .... I have severe arthritis, and it prevents me from walking long distances .... I'm sure some folks will look at me and think " WHY DOES HE HAVE A DIS-ABLED PLACARD, He doesn't look at all dis-abled ..... I have actually been questioned at the Ski area I go to. So I keep a copy of the registration with me in my Ski jacket ..... So far I'm still able to ski, but only on the shorter trails .... no more top to bottom runs .... Mike

Spyder Garage

201AF50D-0CE4-4333-9175-831D12D573C0.jpg

Thankfully only one confrontation (full parking lot) & I made sure to thank the person for their effort, but to check license plate first. Proceeded with removing my hat revealing cranial scars, while sharing the story of what God has gotten me through. That person then apologized & we continued a conversation bout troubles of blocked parking & more importantly, the “Loading zones” striped areas beside the parking slot, often filled with buggies & or whatever else that doesn’t belong. People just don’t realize the troubles others can have until helping someone close (family/friend) or they themselves are injured such a way. Can’t blame them as we are trying to hide it & be normal (-ish). Those that just don’t care, however...

987323B1-210D-4B95-A71C-FCDD73E5C297.jpeg - this person probably just littered the paper driving off & considered it a sunshade.

On different note -

014FC0EF-1764-4CDF-886A-50B40BC05B32.jpeg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2024 at 05:50 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox