Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default riding in the heat

well it is now 84 degrees here in queens ny. i knew it was going to be a hot one, so i went out really early so i didn't overheat. i put on my 50 sunscreen and a very light long sleeve shirt. i take metforum for my diabetes and it makes me light sensitive so i wore the long sleeve shirt. well i had to come home. the heat was driving me nuts. there were riders on the road with jackets on and full face helmets. bless them, but i could never ride like that. how many people ride with jackets in 80 plus weather days, i rather stay home
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ATGATT... even into the nineties.
    Actually: it's cooler to ride with my mesh jacket on, than in just a Tee-Shirt.

I will NEVER complain, and never park the bike, due to the temperatures being too high...
    Our Winters have driven home the point that you can't wait around for good riding weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In Texas, I ride with a mess jacket and full face helmet when I ride. Now if it's 90+, it'll ride in a long sleeve shirt and full face helmet. It's actually cooler that way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    well it is now 84 degrees here in queens ny. i knew it was going to be a hot one, so i went out really early so i didn't overheat. i put on my 50 sunscreen and a very light long sleeve shirt. i take metforum for my diabetes and it makes me light sensitive so i wore the long sleeve shirt. well i had to come home. the heat was driving me nuts. there were riders on the road with jackets on and full face helmets. bless them, but i could never ride like that. how many people ride with jackets in 80 plus weather days, i rather stay home
    John,

NEXT time you do that, try riding fully naked - except for eye protection, of course. Be sure to use full-body sun screen.

...oh, and you should probably get up REAL early in the morning to go for a ride - before anyone else is awake.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    Have you considered trying one of those cooling units?
    For the way that the heat makes you suffer; it might just make a nice difference for you!

http://entrosys.com/
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    John,

NEXT time you do that, try riding fully naked - except for eye protection, of course. Be sure to use full-body sun screen.

...oh, and you should probably get up REAL early in the morning to go for a ride - before anyone else is awake.

Thanks Rob, now i have to go poke my eyes out.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While you're at it: please poke mine out also!

It's time for the Stooges...

Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-26-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

pleas also poke mine out also. i cover the mirror in the bathroom when i shower not to see me
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    John,
    Have you considered trying one of those cooling units?
    For the way that the heat makes you suffer; it might just make a nice difference for you!

http://entrosys.com/

Thank you to our fans - we're sold out for 2016! We'll post here as soon as we have an expected availability date for 2017 and can begin taking orders.

They only make and sell so many.

Check out
    http://www.veskimo.com/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride with mesh motorcycle jacket, perforated gloves, kevlar light denim pants, full face ventilated helmet and if humidity isn't high I wet a long sleeve tee shirt underneath jacket and wet a bandana for neck. I can put up with most anything for a 1 hour ride on Spyder before taking a refreshment/cool down break.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

I also find my mesh jacket cooler in most cases than without. It blocks the sun from the skin.

Some mesh jackets cool better than others. I had a Joe Rocket previously and now have a Bilt because it is one of the few in medium tall. It fits so much better and flows decent amount of air but definitely warmer when stopped.
    I have a few Bilt heat out shirts and shorts I wear that help a lot when moving. Can get a tad warm off the bike moving around or sitting in traffic. Wetting the heat out gear and then riding will give you chills. The stuff does actually work.

Haven't found a solution for the 100+ degree temps coming off the pavement during the FL summers or the 80+% humidity, although the summer showers sometimes help a little and then make it worse...lol.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I wear the heat out under garments and a light outter layer with modular helmet. works well as long as your moving..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

gonna hit 88 today and i will ride with jacket and full face helmet, cant justify a mesh jacket for the 1 month its hot, dont mind when its below 85

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    pleas also poke mine out also. i cover the mirror in the bathroom when i shower not to see me
    I haven't been able to see myself in a mirror for some time, every time I try some fat old man jumps between me and the mirror. I think my house is haunted.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I must have bought the same mirror...

Don't bother trying to return it to the store. They'll give you some hogwash about the fact that there's nothing wrong with it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Keeping cool

I have a cooling vest from Cycle Gear only 50.00 or less. You wet the vest with water and ride for about three to for hours and do it all over again.
    have had it for about five years now. It works well here I SUNNY FLORIDA.

Dumbo

Spyder Garage

YOu might not like it here in Florida John. Most of us start to shiver around 80.

Spyder Garage

I have a mesh jacket and light weight gloves for hotter temps. I got home from work yesterday and my head was sweaty!!! Of course, that could be due to the black helmet.... I've been looking for a white helmet---don't know if that will really matter though.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know I am gonna hear some s@&t for this, but when its hot I ride in a tank top and shorts. I like the way the sun, breeze and heat feel on me when im riding around. Pebbles is the same way.
    Feel sorry for ya Cuz. Medical problems getting in the way of how u can enjoy life is unfortunate. Hope you get things figured out.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

There are mesh shirts with light armor in them.. Google it.. One company has the one from Speed and Strength for 40 dollars on clearance...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I always try to ride full gear, i did get a cooling vest last year & it does help

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No summer Heat

Hi there: I have a olympia motor sports AG 5, 3 into one mesh jacket.

Great in the late fall and the outer mesh is true flow thru mesh in the summer.

Fit is truly adjustable as well.

Spyder Garage

Nylon mesh jackets may be the "hot" setup for summer riding, pun intended, but they DO NOT protect your hide in any form. Do a search on crashes with mesh jackets and see the results. Here's one https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...ruUAYaMOQwM%3A. Just saying we're all adults and make our own decisions, but the truth is nylon shreds or melts, better yet if you're ever in CA stop and see Wayne at Cycleport and have him show you the crashed jackets.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I ride with Kevlar jeans, mesh jacket, and fingerless gloves. It cuts down on the safety factor--but that is a choice that is mine.

If anything bad happens--I died doing something that I liked a whole lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i remember last year i went upstate to have some work done on the bike, and i stopped by bob d's work to meet him in person. riding up there in the morning it was cool out with a lot of fog. by the time i was done for the day, and started home, it got so hot out, that i thought i was going to pass out, and my skin felt like it was on fire. i had to make 3 stops coming home just to find shade, and even took my shoes off to cool off my feet. i hate the heat and the sun. all my friends ride fully protected and i just look at them and shake me head.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME