Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Best year to buy?

Hi everyone! Found this site doing research on Spyders and I'm TOTALLY impressed! The knowledge and helpfulness displayed here is unsurpassed. Now I am going to ask for your help in picking my Spyder.

I'm 61 and my wife is 60. I haven't ridden a motorcycle for almost 40 years and my wife only tried once. We do want to buy one to travel with before we get too old to enjoy it. The first requirement was THREE wheels. I know I don't want to be responsible for balancing the loaded bike and my wife! I am not superman. We started looking at Goldwing trikes on the internet and then I remembered the Spyders. We really like what we've read and seen so far on websites and Youtube. We haven't gotten a chance to ride one yet because I'm working 7-12's on the job I'm working now and it won't be done for about two more weeks. Then I'm going to take a motorcycle riding class and get my license later in June. The class I'm in starts June 17 and I can't wait.

My wife and I figured to get a used Spyder RT, probably a 2010 to 2013. I'm leery of the 2014's and newer because of the DESS errors. My big question is, which year and why would you recommend to a new Spyder rider to buy and what would you stay away from and why?

I understand that there have been recalls and such and that a dealer can check the VIN to see if everything has been taken care of that should been. Will they do that if you are buying from a private seller and any ideas as to what they would charge?

Thanks in advance and for any other suggestions and advice you may give, Bob.

Spyder Garage

I would strongly recommend a 2014 or newer RT. for the following reasons.

More reliable, despite what you may be reading the DESS problem has only affected a small percentage of the RTs

An RT is best suited for 2 up riding, comfort, safety and storage being main issues.

2014s have bigger brakes, tires, engines, 6 speed rather than 5 speed, dual radiators up front, reverse radiator fans, much less required maintenance Etc.

Just my .02 cents worth and i have had every year RTs from 2012 thru 2015.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 and UP, Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Hi everyone! Found this site doing research on Spyders and I'm TOTALLY impressed! The knowledge and helpfulness displayed here is unsurpassed. Now I am going to ask for your help in picking my Spyder.

I'm 61 and my wife is 60. I haven't ridden a motorcycle for almost 40 years and my wife only tried once. We do want to buy one to travel with before we get too old to enjoy it. The first requirement was THREE wheels. I know I don't want to be responsible for balancing the loaded bike and my wife! I am not superman. We started looking at Goldwing trikes on the internet and then I remembered the Spyders. We really like what we've read and seen so far on websites and Youtube. We haven't gotten a chance to ride one yet because I'm working 7-12's on the job I'm working now and it won't be done for about two more weeks. Then I'm going to take a motorcycle riding class and get my license later in June. The class I'm in starts June 17 and I can't wait.

My wife and I figured to get a used Spyder RT, probably a 2010 to 2013. I'm leery of the 2014's and newer because of the DESS errors. My big question is, which year and why would you recommend to a new Spyder rider to buy and what would you stay away from and why?

I understand that there have been recalls and such and that a dealer can check the VIN to see if everything has been taken care of that should been. Will they do that if you are buying from a private seller and any ideas as to what they would charge?

Thanks in advance and for any other suggestions and advice you may give, Bob.
    Go with a 2014 and up. I am assuming you want a touring, so I would suggest the RT or the F3 Touring. Yes there have been some DESS issues, but not many. I have a 2014 RTL, and have had no problems at all thus far with 14000 miles. Also have the freedom trailer, and everything is really nice on the long trips. By the way I'm 61, and also took a long break from riding until about 2008, after riding Gold wings from years before to a VTX 1800, and to the Spyder. No going back for me. First I had the 2013 RT, Sold it, and got the 2014 RTL. Great Ride. the 2014 + also have the 1330 triple with the six speed tranny. My 2 cents worth.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

Glad you found us..you have done your homework...Not because I have the 2012 spyder but mostly I read here that it was a good year. Now not to say all other years are not and if well maintained they are all good . A good search will net you some fine units out there with low mileage..good luck on your search and hope your down the road soon....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Party!!
    And I agree with what Joe and TexAmRider told you: take a serious look at the 2014, and later year bikes!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-26-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Some of it depends on your situation and what you can afford. If you can jump right into a 2014 and up - that's a great way to go. If you want to make sure this is something you are going to enjoy - you might buy an older one and then move up later. Why invest over $20,000 into something you aren't positive will work? If you shop abound there are a ton of low mile 2010 - 2013 RT's out there. I bought a 2011 RT Limited for $11,000 this spring and them moved up to a new 2015 F-3. Yes, I had the dreaded DESS issue and my F-3 is in the shop right now but I can't wait to get it back as I love the ride!

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Cruzr Joe and TexAmRider. 2014 and up for all the reasons mentioned. Also, can probably get a 14 and up with warranty still on them whereas the Goldwing trike will have no warranty. Honda will not honor warranty on any Wing once it has been triked. Unless they recently changed that stipulation. Also once you have you license again, it would be worth taking a test ryde with your wife to make sure she is going to be OK with ryding. A lot of money to pay out and then find out she or you aren't going to be comfortable.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I strongly recommend that you buy a 2014 or newer RT. The difference is off the charts between the 998 and the 1330 motor. I've got 76,000 miles on a 2014 RTS and I have never had a DESS problem.

If you can't afford a newer one then I'd go for a 2012. You can read about issues on the 2013 all day if you do a search on it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2013s did have more than their fair share of serious problems...
    But if you can find one that's had them all addressed; it might just be the best of the "998 bikes".

Spyder Garage

I agree with everyone else........ get a 2014 or later. The copious reasons have already been clearly stated.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default I went with a 2012 RT-S

I am a new Spyder owner. I bought a 2012 RT-S. The first thing I did was look around for what was out there. During my search, I call a good friend of mine that owned a RT and I asked him what to look for. On his advise, I steered clear of the 2013 models because of the overheating issues and the like. I also was looking for low mileage. I tend to keep bikes along time and I ride them. I still have an customized 2003 Kawasaki Nomad that has almost 70000 miles on it. The Spyder is no exception. Since I bought the bike in March I have already put almost 5000 miles on it. When I found this Spyder RT-S it was stock with 10000 miles on it. The dealer through in a extended warranty, floorboards and BAJARON swaybar. What sold me on this one was that is was stock, and the dealer through in all the extras at "no" extra charge. It was like buying a brand new bike at a reduced price. I had them check to make sure all the recalls and maintenance memos were done. All in all I have to say I really like how the everything came together. In the beginning the silver color was not my favorite, but as you can see in my signature picture, it did not take long for me to make this one my own. My advise to you is to try to find a Spyder that is basically stock with low mileage and start making it your own.
    2012 RTS

2012 RtS M5 , Stock Homemade Metallic Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But if you can find one that's had them all addressed; it might just be the best of the "998 bikes".
    Or not.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Another important factor is to buy a used bike from a reputable dealer, "Joe's Used Cars" will probably not know how to service, repair or update computer areas of your spyder.

Make sure the dealer hooks it up to BRP buds and updates software and checks for potential problems and updates.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Or not.
    Buying any used bike, can be considered a "roll of the dice"...
    It largely comes down to your own personal "comfort levels"...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-26-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

I honestly believe that since the heat recall, the 2013 RT is the best of the 998 series. It's got floorboards, better brakes, the improved suspension system, and now an entirely reworked fuel system. And there are probably some really good deals on them out there since the newer ones with the 1330 engine are demanding bigger prices.

There have been a total of three Warranty Bulletins that have address the heat problem on the 2013 RT. On the remote chance that anyone were to buy a used one that hasn't had these done, BRP would address them all at no cost.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-26-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking about your bike; when I was figuring out what to say.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Or not.

Ok, I don't agree, but THIS time I'm not gonna call you on it.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I was thinking about your bike; when I was figuring out what to say.
    Thanks. I have already admitted that if I were going to buy an RT today, I would go for a 2014+ model because, like everyone says, they are indeed better machines. But i'm not ready to trade up my "newly improved" 2013 model just yet.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you ever DO decide to put it to pasture...
    Let me know, and I'll give Sonny-Boy's arm a real good twisting!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1 for the '14s and newer.

The pre-'14s had some service bulletins on them, too. If you choose one of those, make sure it's had all the service work done by a dealer. But like others have said, the 1330 engine has it all over the older one, IMO.

Let us know what you decide.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with most on here that said to buy a 2014 or newer. I purchased my 2014 RT in September. A couple of things helped me make that decision.
    1. I wanted the 3 cyl. engine.
    2. I wanted the 6 spd. transmission which allowed lower revs at hwy speed.
    3. At that time, I was able to get over $5k off sticker with end of year discounts.
    Number 3 allowed me to be able to get my 2014 RT for less than most wanted for their used 2011-2013 RT's (for some reason, they thought they were made out of gold until people got a taste of the 2014's and up).
    Today, with the prices of the used 2011-2013's, I might would consider one, but it would have to be a great deal.

Happy shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I myself am a new Spyder rider and I went with the 2014 because BRP listened to what the people had to say, and a lot of what was said was said on this site. NOW lets talk Tires Welcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tires???
    Jack is gonna have a fit, if he hears about this!

Spyder Garage

The previous posters have you well covered.

My recommendation, a 2014 or up RT. My 2014 now has 21,000 miles and not a glitch.

I also have a 2011 RT with 23,000 miles and not a glitch.

Either flavor of RT (998 or 1330) is pretty good. Side by side, I prefer the 1330.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Either flavor of RT (998 or 1330) is pretty good. Side by side, I prefer the 1330.
    So when you say "Side by side": you mean that the 1330 is out in front!