Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can we use regular battery charger?

Can we put our 2015 RT SE6 on a regular battery charger? We have tried a tender, but it hasn't charged back up. It discharged when my husband listened to the radio while working on it. I need to ryde it Friday morning and it's not looking good right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Over Charge

Shouldn't be a problem so long as you don't over charge it. Some of the newer chargers stop charging once 100% charge is reached. Having it on a charger when listening to the radio might be a good idea too. Just remember to unhook it when done. Or just go out & get a cheap boom box.
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am not worried about him listening to the radio. I have to get it charged so I can start it. I can't even put the parking brake on. There's no dealer around here to help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbiepalamar View Post
    I am not worried about him listening to the radio. I have to get it charged so I can start it. I can't even put the parking brake on. There's no dealer around here to help.

Yes you can use a battery charger. You can jump it off with a car. But do not leave the car running when you jump it off

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So jump it with the car off?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbiepalamar View Post
    So jump it with the car off?

Yes, dont even have the key in the car ignition. Just hook up the car to the Spyder. The procedure is also in the owners manual with a step by step.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I mustn't have looked in the right place. Thanks for your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!
    Back to the Tender versus Charger issue:
    Battery Tenders aren't designed to bring a discharged battery back to life. They simply lack the necessary horsepower for the job.
    Just be careful when using a Battery Charger, because they are capable of "cooking" a battery, if used injuciciously...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Charging Battery

Sometimes what you have to do is "excite" the bike battery with a regular charger (hour or two) then put the tender on it. Tender is just that, maintains a charged battery and keeps it at a certain level.
    2019 Rally , GMUltra Violet

Spyder Garage

Default And there you have it...

Should be running by now. .. or soon enough so you can ryde Friday. ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This might not be immediately helpful debbiepalamar, but it could save you from difficulties down track... Try not to ever let your Spyder battery get too flat, or any vehicle battery for that matter; they can get so flat that even a 'proper' battery charger won't detect anything there left to charge up, & so the charger won't even start to work!!

So if you are going to leave your Spyder un-ridden for a while (probably anything much more than a couple of weeks) it's a good idea to hook it up to a battery tender - that'll give it just enough on-going charge to keep the battery in good condition for a few months or over winter but not so much charge that the battery is cooked/damaged. But if it's going to get cold wherever your Spyder is stored (if the room/shed it's inside gets much below 0 deg C for instance) or your Spyder is going to be unridden/stored for a loooong time, then it might be better to get hold of one of the modern 'multi-stage battery chargers/reconditioners' or 'long term battery preservers' & hook your Spyder battery up to that - they are designed to keep the battery in top condition for extended periods, rather than just topping up the slight drain that time & the 'standby' needs of the computer/ECU will make on the battery.

So, with that in mind for the future, Good Luck with getting your Spyder started now - it sounds like a jump start from a car might be the quickest way this time around.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder comes with an AGM Battery (Absorbed Glass Mat). You really need to use a battery charger that is specifically designed to charge an AGM battery.

Each battery type requires it's own charging method to work properly. Neither a standard Lead-Acid or Gel charger is appropriate for an AGM battery. These other charging methods will probably damage your AGM battery over time. Using the wrong charger may be why people have trouble and early failure of their Spyder batteries.

This goes for tenders as well. If it does not say 'AGM' on the charger/tender or have an AGM setting. It's not the correct charger for your AGM battery.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I toasted my battery using a car battery charger that was only 10amps. Use the car or the charger to get it started then disconnect and let the bike charge the battery. Yes, use a tender to keep it charged between rides.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr. are two chargers/tenders that are approved for AGM batteries. I am sure that there are plenty others.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I toasted my battery using a car battery charger that was only 10amps. Use the car or the charger to get it started then disconnect and let the bike charge the battery. Yes, use a tender to keep it charged between rides.
    OR--- if the charger has a 2-Amp Trickle option switch, use only the TRICKLE CHARGE setting on a motorcycle battery.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Anti gravity battery chargers are a good thing to have on hand and give can give you a good piece of mind on a trip

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

The battery tender plus is a charger as well as a tender that might also be a good idea.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Update: We found out that the battery tender had a blown fuse. Put the battery charger on while watching it carefully and finally got the bike started. All is well. Thanks for the advice!