Thread: Braking

Spyder Garage

Default Braking

I have a 2015 RT Limited with about 6200 miles on her. The other day, while traveling on secondary roads, I had to apply the brakes harder than normal but not as hard as a panic stop. The bike dove and pulled hard to the right. It has not done this again. A friend had the same think, with the same conditions, happen to him and again it has not happened again. During our riding, either secondary roads or highway, the bike run straight and true. We have the Baja Ron sway bar and Heim links installed, and have been laser aligned at our dealer. Has this been noticed by anyone else? Has anyone found a cause? We are open to suggestions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where your tires sliding?
    Where you in mid-turn, when this happened?
    Under almost any hard maneuver; most vehicles will behave a little bit differently.
    I've gotten heavily into the ABS a few times, and the bike stopped straight and true.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Where your tires sliding?
    Where you in mid-turn, when this happened?
    Under almost any hard maneuver; most vehicles will behave a little bit differently.
    I've gotten heavily into the ABS a few times, and the bike stopped straight and true.

Tires were holding firm and was setting up to enter a turn which I felt I was entering it with too much speed.

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing on my 2014. I haven't done any testing yet, to see if it has a ABS problem or just a fluke.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Could also be..

the road surface you were on. Many roads are designed in such a way to allow drainage, which is to say they are not absolutely flat. They have some pitch and grade to them. Now, I'm not saying with 100% certainty that this is what caused your issue..I'm simply providing a plausible explination.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The highway surface and banking was my next guess...
    If you were already setting up for the turn; you may have already been starting to load the suspension, and all bets are off!
    Braking and turning together is not the best thing to do with any vehicle.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Some SOB in a P/U truck------

Pulled out in front of me on Sunday. After the drive up from Las Vagas I was moving along directly to get home. About 2 miles from home I had to get on the brakes hard ( but not enough to activate the ABS) . stopped straight and true.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tires must have identical , tire wear, air pressure value, road surface, brake rotors equal conditions, air in the brake lines?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Could be sticking Brake or warped disc.....
    If it was due to this you'd almost certainly have noticed if happening more than just the once!!

I'd be thinking it's more likely either due to the road camber itself angled down to the right to aid drainage etc; or someone spilt some oil or fuel on the road just there & it was only just slippery enough to make one tire have less grip on the road but not quite enough to give you a significant speed difference between wheels & set the ABS chattering!!

But because this has only happened to you just the once, I really wouldn't be worrying about it too much - if it was anything drastic, it would be well & truly obvious by now & happening just about every time you put your foot on the brake pedal! Seeing as how it's not doing that, it's way more likely to be a once off event due to the road or something on it.

So unless it happens again you should probably just Ride More, Worry Less!