Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation First BRP product & first day was a failure, flashing R & N what next?

Sorry to sound negative. Less than 20 hours buying my new 2015 RT Limited it failed @ 130 miles. Sunday afternoon 45 miles from home on the side of the road called I called BRP's Roadside Ass. Service 866-477-1415 gave them my VIN number. Was told they have no record of the VIN being registered and I need to call the dealer. Told BRP R.S.A. the dealer is closed on Sunday & Monday. Was told to call a wrecker myself and then talk to dealer about paying me back. Hope this is not the level of service we should expect of BRP. - The issue is "total lost of forward drive" with no warning at all. Cannot shift into any gear just coasting down highway 75 North of Dallas @ 65 MPH this failure almost got wife & I hit. With no help from BRP R.S.A. was able to get the RT home using back roads over the next 4 hours. Had several more events of total lost of forward drive flashing R & N -or- R, N & E on the LCD panel. At times the orange (I) and engine icon also came on. Engine never stopped just total loss of forward drive and control of shifting gears up or down. After rolling to a stop most of the time control of the transmission came back. Tuesday morning I am driving my Ford truck to the BRP dealer in Dallas area to see about them picking up the Spyder for repair or maybe just cancel the sale. Been riding for 45 years and never had a failure like this or lack of mfg. support. Dump the Spyder or just get some clean shorts?

Spyder Garage

Wow, my Sunday wasn't better. 660 miles on my new Spyder, 60 Miles from home and get bad key code. Towed home to the tune of $416! BRP paid $200 of the tow. Frustrating and sorry this happened to you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Feeling sorry to hear that, I thought the dealer when they build up, probably they forgot somethings , that why happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your issues. A heck of a reason to start up your site membership.

RE: Roadside assistance: If you driving it on its maiden voyage, it takes a few days for the dealer to get your specific VIN registered and in the system.

RE: Failure--sounds like bad dealer build out and something got missed. It's not convenient, but everything should be under warranty and on their dime.

Let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

from your description it looks like a gear positioning sensor problem. This may clear with the computer reset. This occurs when you park it remove the key and give it 45 to an hour before you restart. I see this happen when shifting the semi automatic is to light. Need positive shifts not light taps. Oil level should also be checked..agree this should not happen on day one or at all. Regardless welcome to the site and I'll leave it at that...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The VIN not being on record is very likely your dealer. They haven't turned in the paperwork yet.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

So sorry that this happened to you. The main thing is that you and the wife are ok. That would have been the deal breaker for me. My lord what is happening. The number of failures on brand new Spyders posted on this site this last week is amazing! Takes me back to the AMF Harley days.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this def sounds like a dealer created issue... Hope it works out at no cost to you.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    So sorry that this happened to you. The main thing is that you and the wife are ok. That would have been the deal breaker for me. My lord what is happening. The number of failures on brand new Spyders posted on this site this last week is amazing! Takes me back to the AMF Harley days.
    I was about to say the same thing about the number of new owners having trouble. Whether it is dealers fault, or BRP's, somebody better get their s&@t together or there will be some public backlash at some point. I wonder if there is a common thread to all the problems? Certain day of the week built, or a change in part manufacturer?

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this. I hope the dealer makes it right.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

People, People, please. I too am very disheartened that this poor fellow has experienced very difficult challenges right out of the box.

I have experience working in dealerships of many types of vehicles, I can assure you that MC shops are infamous with not completing paperwork in an expeditious manner, I am sure that some do, most don't. In the automobile stores, most, not all, will send the registration, warranty and prep documents to the OEM, the moment of signing, not after lunch, not at the end of the day, but then and there. This eliminates the issues, just mentioned, IT IS NOT BRP'S FAULT! Let's be clear on that, no I do not nor have I ever worked for them. It is not BRP, AGAIN!

The OEM cannot deal with this issue unless they have the registration, what if it was stolen from the lot, should they just help someone that broke down with it? Shoot, maybe they should have used the "DESS" and shut the bike down like GM would do with the OnStar!

Keep in mind that there are oodles of electronics on these contraptions. Look up electronic failure rates with your favorite search engine, you will find that popular things like IPhone, XBox and such often have a 30% failure rate out of the box, does this make anything right, NO, but hey it is real. Electronic failure rates are graphed in what is call a bathtub graph, very high walls at the start, they quickly drop to near zero until end of life, then they skyrocket upward again. Electronics fail often and frequently when new, so if you get a failure, get a new part, it could happen again, use it and make it break or use it an get over it.
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 05-24-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

you knew i would chime in. welcome to my world. mines in a second time
    in 400 miles for the same thing. was 20 miles from home and another 60
    to the dealer. i actually got it to them the first time. second time--they
    picked it up yesterday. gps failure first time. might be a programming error
    this time. we are afraid to go anywhere. hopefully this will get it. still love
    to drive and ride when it works though. course, now its sposed to rain
    off and on all the way through labor day.--irv toms

you realize the gps issue seems to be almost all '15's. maybe there is a certain
    date span. wonder who the vendor was and where all this occured.
    Last edited by irvin48; 05-24-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

seeings i dont have a shop manual yet, does it say anything
    about the relearn process after installing the gear position
    sensor. the service manager said they had 1 other one come
    back and they did the procedure differently and at higher rpm's.
    i showed him the post that snowbeltspyder had on sunday about
    introducing the sensor to the computer. it has to sense and learn EVERY gear again.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    People, People, please. I too am very disheartened that this poor fellow has experienced very difficult challenges right out of the box.

I have experience working in dealerships of many types of vehicles, I can assure you that MC shops are infamous with not completing paperwork in an expeditious manner, I am sure that some do, most don't. In the automobile stores, most, not all, will send the registration, warranty and prep documents to the OEM, the moment of signing, not after lunch, not at the end of the day, but then and there. This eliminates the issues, just mentioned, IT IS NOT BRP'S FAULT! Let's be clear on that, no I do not nor have I ever worked for them. It is not BRP, AGAIN!

The OEM cannot deal with this issue unless they have the registration, what if it was stolen from the lot, should they just help someone that broke down with it? Shoot, maybe they should have used the "DESS" and shut the bike down like GM would do with the OnStar!

Keep in mind that there are oodles of electronics on these contraptions. Look up electronic failure rates with your favorite search engine, you will find that popular things like IPhone, XBox and such often have a 30% failure rate out of the box, does this make anything right, NO, but hey it is real. Electronic failure rates are graphed in what is call a bathtub graph, very high walls at the start, they quickly drop to near zero until end of life, then they skyrocket upward again. Electronics fail often and frequently when new, so if you get a failure, get a new part, it could happen again, use it and make it break or use it an get over it.
    I completely understand what you are saying and I am not disagreeing with your points. But the fact is you have 2 primary entities here. The producer and the buyer. With 1 critical intermediate component, the dealer.

If I sell a Sway Bar kit and there is a flaw in the production process. Does my customer want to hear about how my fabricator messed up? (purely hypothetical! ) Or how my supplier sent a defective batch of components? No, the customer wants to hear 2 things. First, that I take responsibility for the issue and second, that i have a reasonable plan to resolve the problem.

In this same vein, if I have a vendor carrying my products and they are not providing good customer service, or installers who are not doing quality work, it is my responsibility to correct that or discontinue the relationship, (again, I assure you, a hypothetical example).

Because nothing happens in the Spyder world without BRP's permission they should take responsibility at some level for the most important component in this process. Customer satisfaction.

Since we do not know the reason for this failure it is hard to make a final judgement. But it certainly is not a good thing to have brand new product failing right out of the box like this. Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly. As we all know, riding a properly functioning Spyder is about the most fun a person can have!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default so why was my sway bar shipped with miss alined holes

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I completely understand what you are saying and I am not disagreeing with your points. But the fact is you have 2 primary entities here. The producer and the buyer. With 1 critical intermediate component, the dealer.

If I sell a Sway Bar kit and there is a flaw in the production process. Does my customer want to hear about how my fabricator messed up? (purely hypothetical! ) Or how my supplier sent a defective batch of components? No, the customer wants to hear 2 things. First, that I take responsibility for the issue and second, that i have a reasonable plan to resolve the problem.

In this same vein, if I have a vendor carrying my products and they are not providing good customer service, or installers who are not doing quality work, it is my responsibility to correct that or discontinue the relationship, (again, I assure you, a hypothetical example).

Because nothing happens in the Spyder world without BRP's permission they should take responsibility at some level for the most important component in this process. Customer satisfaction.

Since we do not know the reason for this failure it is hard to make a final judgement. But it certainly is not a good thing to have brand new product failing right out of the box like this. Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly. As we all know, riding a properly functioning Spyder is about the most fun a person can have!
    Just so I understand manufactores thinking.

I bought your sway bar, the white blocks holes were drilled wrong. Yet you still shipped with bad blocks when you were aware of it. Why not stop shipping till you replace the blocks?
    I fought for hours trying to put it on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the customer wants to hear 2 things. First, that I take responsibility for the issue and second, that i have a reasonable plan to resolve the problem.
    When I had major issues with the delivery of my first Spyder. I NEVER got this reply. ONLY got profuse apologies. The owner went so far as to tell me to my face that "I was the most difficult and unreasonable person that he had every delt with". If I had my wits about me, I should have gotten my deposit back, and walked out.Your dealer only has 2 options:
    1. GIVE you a new 2015, or
    2. GIVE your $$$$$$ back
    It goes without saying that all expenses to get your dead Spyder back to them should be reimbursed.

nothing happens in the Spyder world without BRP's permission they should take responsibility at some level for the most important component in this process. Customer satisfaction.
    Since 2013, there seems to be a issue with how BRP defines Customer Satisfaction. BRP initially contacted me about my totally negative survey; but there was never any follow up.

As we all know, riding a properly functioning Spyder is about the most fun a person can have!
    Best of luck to you.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Can you provide a bit more information about the "bad blocks"?

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Just so I understand manufactores thinking.

I bought your sway bar, the white blocks holes were drilled wrong. Yet you still shipped with bad blocks when you were aware of it. Why not stop shipping till you replace the blocks?
    I fought for hours trying to put it on.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Spyder Garage

x 2 Ron. You make some very good points.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i really feel bad for you people. i know i would go nuts if i was having problems right out of the box
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To the OP, & I hope you'll still stick around here after you get your Spyder problem resolved, however it goes.

I totally agree with Ann and others who say the info about your purchase just hasn't made it to BRP yet, so they wouldn't have a record of your ownership. But that is, IMO, the minor problem. The major problem is that the Spyder is not performing as it should after so few miles usage. Please talk with your dealer and have them make it right for you, as Baja Ron enumerated the options. I hope you'll post a follow-up telling us how this goes.

I've also noticed what seems like a lot of low-mileage failures lately. I haven't given enough attention to know if there's a common thread as to type of problem. I think BRP should get a head up and take notice.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    Can you provide a bit more information about the "bad blocks"?
    There are white nylon or what ever material made of that are spacers for the arm links, they were miss drilled so did not line up exact with holes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    There are white nylon or what ever material made of that are spacers for the arm links, they were miss drilled so did not line up exact with holes.
    For what ever it's worth I recently installed one of Ron's bars on my RTL and everything fit perfectly. I'd guess that if he had a problem it has been corrected. One tip, I used a couple of C clamps to compress the white plastic blocks, it made it easy to get them to fit up into the channel on the 2014 RTL. Once you get them started you can remove the clamps, easy install.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default update.

BRP dealer picked up the 2015 RT Limited this afternoon. Dealer replaced the G.P.S. and stated that BRP engineers are still looking into the failures of G.P.S. and maybe a software issue (?). Going to visit with dealer in the morning to review how this part could kill all forward drive with no warning at all. Did not know if wife & I will ever trust the Snyder not to fail on the highway or just crossing a basic intersection like it did on our first outing. Will say at this point dealer seems to be trying to do the right thing.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to say, but welcome to the BRP world.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by romaine View Post
    BRP dealer picked up the 2015 RT Limited this afternoon. Dealer replaced the G.P.S. and stated that BRP engineers are still looking into the failures of G.P.S. and maybe a software issue (?). Going to visit with dealer in the morning to review how this part could kill all forward drive with no warning at all. Did not know if wife & I will ever trust the Snyder not to fail on the highway or just crossing a basic intersection like it did on our first outing. Will say at this point dealer seems to be trying to do the right thing.
    The DESS failures are bad, no one wants to be stranded on the side of the road or without a ride for weeks waiting for service/parts, but your failure is truly frightening. The potential for serious injury with this failure should be of interest to the government. I think you should report this failure to NTSA.
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White, Mfg. date 1/28/2014
    BRP heated seat, BRP backrest, SpyderFlap, Tricled mirror turn signals, KOTT Grills, BRP adjustable side air vent, Bumpskid, Bajaron sway bar and heim links, Spyderpops belt guard, Tricled day lighters, Tricled fender LEDs, CD HMT running/brake LEDs