Spyder Garage

Default Is it enough to cause a lean condition (P0174)

Hi, good summer time.

You can see on the pic the place i mark , black spot where it could be a leaking.

This is the pipe on the right side coming from the front cylinder (Bank1).

My question is it enough to cause a lean condition on the back cylinder(Bank2) ?

Is that something relate with the pressure in the muffler could cause a false reading of the O2 sensor on bank 2

Have nice ride. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mickay; 05-23-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. It isn't THAT sensitive. Your leak is VERY small, and likely seals itself up when hot?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You didn't actually say that your bike had thrown this code: has it?

If it hasn't:

On the other hand; if it has: the source of your problem lies elsewhere...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

If your getting that code it would not be from that leak. looks like a bigger leak to the right at the joint of the clamp. Need to check vaccum lines o2 sensor connections and let the computers reset and see if it is just a glitch....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes , you're right.

2 years ago I change the spark plug,wire and air filter. The problem start a couple miles after that intermitent on and off.

Last year i remove the throttle body to clean it manually.
    I change the maps hose was crack, the two rubber boots connect throttle to the head was crack.
    And gone for 6000km.

My dealer want to change the throttle body. Without warranty is expensive.
    I was thinking to change the spark plug and wire from BRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

You didn't actually say that your bike had thrown this code: has it?

If it hasn't:

On the other hand; if it has: the source of your problem lies elsewhere...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the big rubber boots that attach the throttle body to the motor for cracks.
    Purge valve could be sticking open too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sucking in air from that point in the system would definitely cause the problem that you're having.
    Good Luck; please let us know what you find.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I don't have time to check the bike but look the explanation i find.

They trim has high as it could and throw the code P1074 Too Lean.
    My leak is near the manifold.

Decreased MPGs

Did you know that an exhaust leak near the manifold could decrease your fuel efficiency by as many as 3-4 MPGs? This happens because the sensors that read incoming and outgoing oxygen are thrown off by the leak and compensate by burning excessive amounts of fuel.
    To ensure you're getting the most out of your fuel tank be sure to take care of any exhaust leaks right away!

http://www.autorepairmountainviewca....indicators.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sucking in air from that point in the system would definitely cause the problem that you're having.
    Good Luck; please let us know what you find.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mickay View Post
    Hi, good summer time.

You can see on the pic the place i mark , black spot where it could be a leaking.

This is the pipe on the right side coming from the front cylinder (Bank1).

My question is it enough to cause a lean condition on the back cylinder(Bank2) ?

Is that something relate with the pressure in the muffler could cause a false reading of the O2 sensor on bank 2

Have nice ride. Thanks
    Also, are you running any type of tuner?
    1. Check fluids & tire pressures.
    2. Start bike.
    3. Hold on.
    4. Full throttle.
    5. Repeat 3-5.

Spyder Garage

Default P0174 How to reset codes and check engine warning

My 2012 RT SM5 has gotten the P0174 code twice within the last week. In the hope that this might be a singular occurrence, I got a local dealer to reset the code the first time. I rode fine for over 200 miles, then got the code and check engine (irritating) orange screen again. In that this does not happen every time I ride, it is something I can probably live with for a short time until I can haul it to a dealer for service. I had new MAP sensor hoses last year at Spyderfest in Springfield. From some reading, I found the error code can be cleared by holding the mode and set button and flashing the high beam (passing indicator) several times. I no longer have the code on the display when pressing the mode, set and turn signal cancel button, BUT, the flashing check engine orange screen is still there. ANYONE out there know how to clear this without a dealer visit to reset it?
    This is a very perplexing and irritating vehicle for me!!

Thanks
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder2012 View Post
    My 2012 RT SM5 has gotten the P0174 code twice within the last week. In the hope that this might be a singular occurrence, I got a local dealer to reset the code the first time. I rode fine for over 200 miles, then got the code and check engine (irritating) orange screen again. In that this does not happen every time I ride, it is something I can probably live with for a short time until I can haul it to a dealer for service. I had new MAP sensor hoses last year at Spyderfest in Springfield. From some reading, I found the error code can be cleared by holding the mode and set button and flashing the high beam (passing indicator) several times. I no longer have the code on the display when pressing the mode, set and turn signal cancel button, BUT, the flashing check engine orange screen is still there. ANYONE out there know how to clear this without a dealer visit to reset it?
    This is a very perplexing and irritating vehicle for me!!

Thanks
    Crack in the throttle body to manifold boot.
    Dirty injector.
    Depending on how your 2012 purge plumbing is done. Air leak in the purge system.
    Dirty fuel filter. When was the last time it was changed.
    Weak fuel pump. Pressure too low.
    Defective O2 sensor.
    That's all I can think of right now.

From some reading, I found the error code can be cleared by holding the mode and set button and flashing the high beam (passing indicator) several times.

That is complete BS. Someone must have made that up and are laughing their a** off every time they see it repeated.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-13-2016 at 11:09 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Crack in the throttle body to manifold boot.
    Dirty injector.
    Depending on how your 2012 purge plumbing is done. Air leak in the purge system.
    Dirty fuel filter. When was the last time it was changed.
    Weak fuel pump. Pressure too low.
    Defective O2 sensor.
    That's all I can think of right now.

From some reading, I found the error code can be cleared by holding the mode and set button and flashing the high beam (passing indicator) several times.

That is complete BS. Someone must have made that up and are laughing their a** off every time they see it repeated.
    That is interesting, since when I did that, the active error code P0174 did go away. Coincidence perhaps.
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Finally resolve...

Hi,

Bob,

When i was kid i want to know everything and dismantle eveyrthing to see how is made. So the Spyder was a difficult beasts, for who was there in it start.
    I remember people was saying we were ripoff by brp. I be part of that.

I find Spyderlovers to it start in 2008 when my father buy the GS 2008 i was bite and want to learn more and more... And everytime i come to this site with time learn something everytime.
    I learn to know every aspect of this beetle who it call Spyder. Don't know how many times i had remove the plastic. Father finally exchange the 2008 GS for the RT 2010 and most of the time the miles are from me. So 3 years a go he make paper and give me the bike. Sick to pay for the maintenance ,plate and insurance.

And with time i domesticate the beasts and in my mind nothing happen for nothing with the spyder . It's a complex machine just remember when people got the code for the brake fault, now we know to not leave the front foot touching the brake pedal while riding.

The sensitive sensor in the oil brake reservoir you have to top it. Or you will go in limp mode anti-skid error , engine error, check engine light,brake fault. But it a good thing the nanny remember you to check the oil brake level.

I have fix and change many part , gasket, removing and cleaning throttle body(Sea Foam)and in gas, valve ok , cover gasket 63000km, wire, plug,pump pressure ok, canisterectomy, fuel filter,air.cover gasket But i never suspect the muffler gasket , i was thinking the powder rubber from the belt , oil or dirt. And even if is there a little leak it's will not cause the problem but it was.

And my biggest problem that i am not listening enough the nanny. When it tell you something usually it's not a glitch. Find it.

It's a really well done machine. And remember also when you have an error most of the time it's not a fault sensor , the sensor make his job to telling you where is the problem.

I apologize for my erratic writing. My main language is french.

You know what i mean with talk the same language on Spyderlovers.

For who with P0174 even a small leak even if O2 sensor are after the leak. The P0174 will be the opposite side. Ex. mine P0174 bank 2 back cylinder but the leak was on the bank 1 pipe front cylinder. People with the problem try to loose the pipe flange on the same side of the error it's will create a small leak on both side will be equal it's will release some pressure inside the pipe. I try my best to explain. But i know that every good hint it never lost.

I'm happy that you put your finger onto the problem.

QUOTE=Bob Denman;1133891] Sucking in air from that point in the system would definitely cause the problem that you're having.
    Good Luck; please let us know what you find. [/QUOTE]