Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bigger Front Wheels

hello everyone, i am sure this question has been beat to death...

but i just purchased a 2014 spyder rs-s last month and i see a lot of spyders on the web with big front wheels... (look awesome IMO)

what needs to be done to the abs/vss/tcs?

thanks for all the help in advance

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

on how much bigger... some go bigger rims but lower profile tires keeping the size similar and loosing the fenders. Then some go hog wild but never ryde much mostly show so it doesn't matter the effect. For the rest how they deal with the systems these machines have to keep you safe ( yet sometimes annoying)
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anything with a rolling circumference much bigger than the stock wheel tire combo, might require the electronic systems to be recalibrated. Can probably go plus one or plus two without any noticeable changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Didn't someone recently post about moving up a few sizes on the front tire (what was available at that tire shop) and the computer whining?

165/65/14 to 185/65/14.

He ended up lowering the air pressure a little and that was just enough to make the computer happy.

I believe someone else chimed in to say there was a little flexibility in height of front to rear ratio but beyond that and computer whines so you are stuck in limp mode.

Maybe if you increase the rear a little it would allow the same increase in the front? Maybe someone else with better knowledge than I add on here.

I've seen pictures online myself of larger front tires. Most are just larger rims with lower profile tires so it appears larger but really it is just more rim and less tire but same height.

Others though definitely appear to have taller front tires such as this: http://website.saviniwheels.netdna-c...te-Black-1.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i have 245/30/20s going on it... it about 17% larger OD then the factory... so the vsc will engage at 30mph, i have seen a lot of them out there with a simialir set up, but nobodys wants to say how they are doing it.

thanks for the info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess: they're mounting the speed sensors, to just one wheel.
    If you can get it to work: we'll need to see some pictures!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Did you get this working?

Spyder Garage

There was some effort back when these were first released for sprocket pulley and gearbox changes to lower rpms. One of the combo theories included a larger diameter rear tire, there is a slightly thinner tread 275 that will fit the rear rim. That may get you there.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have an SE forget about it. The SM is much more forgiving and the older SM is even more forgiving stock.
    Some have relocated the sensors to one wheel, others have been able to "adjust" the position of the sensors on the tone ring, others I "heard" are removing/narrowing a few teeth?? Someone else mentioned that there is a different sized ring from something else that works.
    I'm not in that scene so I didn't absorb the details. There is a guy named Lou in Philly that does a lot of custom stuff for the shows. I'm sure he has it all figured out....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lou's a member in here, and might just be a good source of information.

Look up "LOURACING"
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black