Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I enjoy my Spyder

I am sure that some bone head will take this the wrong way, but tough noogies!

I read this forum all the time, I read and see people helping others with issues, concerns, learning curves (literal and figurative) and much more.
    As of late some of the tone seems to have changes, much of it seems to be Spyder or BRP bashing, perhaps some is deserved but most is not.
    Do you really believe that BRP really wants unhappy customers, come on.

So the last two days I took my little old 2013 RTL out and focused on some of the complaints that I read about and most importantly the ones people do the most complaining about.
    Apparently, I bought a good one, though used with 12,686 miles on it but a good one.

I did not feel any illicit, or exaggerated roll-over in the tight corners or corrections.
    I did not experience severe heat off the dragons mouth.
    The gauges all seemed to operate just fine.
    I took it on the highway, tried holding it at 55, then 60, then 65, then 70, then 75 and 80 for several miles, there was not any extra vibration or discomfort.
    The bike did not seem to pull one way or the other but tracked very well.

Hey, I guess I am just blessed with the only Spyder that is operating well, a joy to ride and a soul calming influence, but then I was told originally that the Black Current models were the best.
    Hey, maybe you have a positive experience as well and we can start a dialogue about how great it is, instead of complaining that the bugs hit directly in my field of vision...... whatever!

Ryde on Friends! I like my Spyder! I want another one just like this one! I wish everybody had one as good as mine, and I will NOT find the last Farkle either.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 05-21-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    . . . .
    Apparently, I bought a good one, though used with 12,686 miles on it but a good one.
    . . .

Hey, I guess I am just blessed with the only Spyder that is operating well, a joy to ride and a soul calming influence, . . .

Joe
    You're not the Lone Ranger!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Let me add a little more.
    I belong to three riding groups, I enjoy all of their company.

One has about 25 members, three are Spyders and all but two of the rest are other three wheelers. Most are Harley's, many Honda's and maybe few others.
    Another group has about 20 regulars but maybe a couple hundred, there a many Spyders but I have the only one in the local group, almost all are Harley's and mostly no three wheelers.
    The third group is most interesting, part of a huge national group, the local group has one Spyder, mine, and a proportional mix of others like the former groups, but with only a three wheeler or two out of about 40.

People complain about the mileage, especially on the 990's, shoot, I read the Newbie News on the forum and I get 30 or better most every tank, I did not buy it for the mileage, but the joy I get from it would be fine even at 24, who cares, I bought it for the ride and the air and the zone!

Yes, I realize that statistically, with fewer Spyders, we will have less incidents of breakdowns, recalls and such and the higher Harley population will have a higher number just from the sheer numbers. However, we do have fewer problems, we do have issues, but they have them too. In the end game, as one friend of mine with a Sypder and in group one demonstrates, he carries a Harley strap in the Frunk, because one of them may need a pull to the rescue, it happens more than you would think.
    We complain, they complain, why not find the praise and bask in the glory of it?
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Smile

Maybe I'm a lucky one too, and got a great 2013. After the heat recall, it's even better. My Spyder is bone stock... except for a DIY mudflap and a DIY heat shield for the right foot... oh yeah, and a spider on the hood.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Default You're not alone

I'm pleased with my Spyder also. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I haven't had any of the horrible issues I see posted here. I think there are probably more happy Spyder owners than there are unhappy ones. Just a guess.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

The happy ones are out riding not in here crying (although some have some real problems).

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

l Love mine. I also admit I don't put a tire gauge on it before every ride.
    I don't send my oil for viscosity testing, etc...
    I MIGHT pull the dipstick once in a service cycle.
    I also don't really obsess about bath time, and the PH of my suds...
    or any other of the things you CAN do. I just ride and enjoy.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Most forums are replete with complaints and manufacturer bashing.

Those that have machines that have few problems are out riding them and not spending a lot of time posting about them.

I have owned five and driven over 130,000 total miles. I have had no major glitches or dealer snafus so far. I still come and post about 10 times per day--just because I like the camaraderie of the site.

I have been with the brand from day one and will continue until my final ride. I bought the first one sold in Alaska. Paid a $500 deposit up front--without seeing or test driving. Waited about 8 months for it to arrive. Also got one of the first SE's and a Premier Edition RTS. All untested and sight unseen. Never had any of the "new machine" glitches.

We actually get a mixed bag on here. There is an ebb and flow. I sometimes tire of things, but know that it will get better another day. Hang in there and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-21-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I too have no complaints and have had relatively good luck with my 2013 RT LTD. The heat issue that many 2013's experienced was never problem with mine. I did have the recall service done though with the air scoops installed and it just made it even better. Recently I did have P1614 error when the check engine light came on, and had this serviced at my dealer. It turns out that the throttle bodies needed to be cleaned and serviced. Now everything works great! Thanks to the dealer and there techs for the great service and support that they always give me. I'm at just over 23,000 miles on this RT and still enjoy the 990. I ride it to work when I can, and the gas mileage is between 32 to 34 mpg, give or take. Still better than my H3 Hummer at 17 mpg. I ride to enjoy, but I do understand the frustration that some folks have had with bad experiences with there Spyders. Not all things are perfect.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

There are oh so many good ones out there, myself included, but they are not all here on this site. Many of the ones here are here for help and we try to get it for them. Maybe the good ones just don't need our help and are too busy ryding to hang out here... if all our members have spyders we have 25% of the spyders produced. Now if everyone posting were to have a problem it would be like 5% of our share that means there are are lot of good ones out there.. and we fix a lot of them with the petty little things...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i just want to ride. wife loves the seat. we both like the comfy ride.
    good mileage.just get me over this shifting or not mess and we will
    be like you guys !!!!!--irv toms
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

ah, the sweet sound of reason.

My Better Half and I are almost out the door on our way to an internet-freezone in SkyLine Drive.
    It's great to have read this thread.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm One Happy Camper

I've got over 36,000 miles on two Spyders, in three years, and loved every mile. I am not a commuter, these are all "fun" miles. I've never been stranded and have had only one "code" almost three years ago. My wife and I were in Canada when I went into limp mode and I called BRP. The Gods must have been looking out for me because a BRP dealer was less that five miles away. Within 30 minutes we were back on the road and it didn't cost a penny. The tech said I must have been riding my brake. Lesson learned!

I'm in the process of buying my third Spyder, an F3 Limited, and I can't wait to get it. I have no doubt that it will be as dependable as my '13 RTL and '14 RTL were. I have 192 days until I retire (Hey, who's counting?) and I'm sure I'll ride even more.

I've dressed up both my Spyders pretty extensively and am already planning on what to do to my new one. Is it costly, hell yeah! But, that's why I work (see above, 192 more days).

Over the years I've owned a Honda, Suzuki, Harley, Yamaha and now going on my third Spyder. I've never bought the same brand motorcycle until the Spyder. These are great bikes and the Spyder community is even greater.

I have no complaints!
    Last edited by Copperman; 05-22-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love your post, thank you. Loving my 2016 RT-S. No complaints at all. Wish I could afford another just to ride to work [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks will accuse us of, "Drinking the Kool-Aid".
    From my vantage point: it tastes pretty darn good!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-22-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Another very happy Spyder rider here!! I have a 2015 RT Limited. 2100 miles and not 1 problem. I have owned many bikes over the last 40 years. I feel as if the Spyder has put the fun back in riding!
    The weather here in Norteast Ohio has been crappy this spring. It is supposed to finally get warm this week. I am looking forward to putting a lot more miles on the Spyder.
    My Daughter, who rides a Harley and I are going to a weekend ride on June 17th with the Southeast Ohio Spyder Riders!!
    safe riding to all!!
    Russ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybugred3 View Post
    I love your post, thank you. Loving my 2016 RT-S. No complaints at all. Wish I could afford another just to ride to work [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Another very happy Spyder rider here!! I have a 2015 RT Limited. 2100 miles and not 1 problem. I have owned many bikes over the last 40 years. I feel as if the Spyder has put the fun back in riding!
    The weather here in Norteast Ohio has been crappy this spring. It is supposed to finally get warm this week. I am looking forward to putting a lot more miles on the Spyder.
    My Daughter, who rides a Harley and I are going to a weekend ride on June 17th with the Southeast Ohio Spyder Riders!!
    safe riding to all!!
    Russ

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HEAR HEAR!!!

Yep, I sure hear you!!!!....I too have a 13 RTL and love it....I cannot complain about it at all...Yep, I have added a few more conviences such as an air seat cushion, direction signal lights installed in each speaker grill, front chrome/rubber bumpers protector on the front bottom, flashing brakes lights, third brake light (also flashes), i-pod in trunk to play my favorite songs through the radio, drink holder, and of course the american and missing pow flags. At my age, 74, I might have forgotten something! And I also an army veteran during the vietnam war period. I am proud of ALL who served in the services of this country in what ever capacity. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, left out the air horn for the 4 wheelers who do not see you.

I read this forum all the time, I read and see people helping others with issues, concerns, learning curves (literal and figurative) and much more.
    As of late some of the tone seems to have changes, much of it seems to be Spyder or BRP bashing, perhaps some is deserved but most is not.

So the last two days I took my little old 2013 RTL out and focused on some of the complaints that I read about and most importantly the ones people do the most complaining about.

I did not feel any illicit, or exaggerated roll-over in the tight corners or corrections.
    I took it on the highway, tried holding it at 55, then 60, then 65, then 70, then 75 and 80 for several miles, there was not any extra vibration or discomfort.

Hey, I guess I am just blessed with the only Spyder that is operating well, a joy to ride and a soul calming influence, but then I was told originally that the Black Current models were the best.
    Hey, maybe you have a positive experience as well and we can start a dialogue about how great it is, instead of complaining that the bugs hit directly in my field of vision...... whatever!

Ryde on Friends! I like my Spyder! I want another one just like this one! I wish everybody had one as good as mine, and I will NOT find the last Farkle either.

Joe
    Last edited by SPIDR1; 05-22-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Some folks will accuse us of, "Drinking the Kool-Aid".
    From my vantage point: it tastes pretty darn good!

I will have some of that cherry.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Chalk up another happy camper here. We love our Spyder RT. Sure, it's a 2010, and we bought it used, but have enjoyed every mile we have on it. Sure, I put a few of the "recommended" farkles on it, but it probably wasn't truly necessary. The extras just make it "more" enjoyable. In fact I just finished detailing it with Lamont's detailer kit I won at 'Fest 2016.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

This is true, happy people usually just enjoy. Reminds me of something I heard before.

When your neighbor 'scar breaks down, bummer, when his wife is cheating on him, bummer, but when your car breaks down and its your wife that is cheating, its a little differ response.

I love my Spyder too, have 2 actually no problems so far, not many miles but hope to have many trouble free miles down the road. BUT I can really feel for the people that have had an issue and get stranded, paying for towing etc and especially when they have the problem more than once. I disagree with your part about BRP wouldn't want unhappy customers. IMO they have shown a callus disregard to solutions for some of the problems that have come up.

Yes, its easier to complain than to praise, I try to do both and if you read my post, I have praised good service and well designed products/parts a number of times and thanked people that have provided a solution/idea that helps.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS MILEAGE

Yep, I agree with you. Who cares about the gas mileage when the real reason is riding for fun and being with guys on the ride. A person only lives once on this earth and should enjoy every minute of it especially when you are retired. Keep smoking the tires!

Let me add a little more.
    I belong to three riding groups, I enjoy all of their company.

One has about 25 members, three are Spyders and all but two of the rest are other three wheelers. Most are Harley's, many Honda's and maybe few others.
    Another group has about 20 regulars but maybe a couple hundred, there a many Spyders but I have the only one in the local group, almost all are Harley's and mostly no three wheelers.
    The third group is most interesting, part of a huge national group, the local group has one Spyder, mine, and a proportional mix of others like the former groups, but with only a three wheeler or two out of about 40.

People complain about the mileage, especially on the 990's, shoot, I read the Newbie News on the forum and I get 30 or better most every tank, I did not buy it for the mileage, but the joy I get from it would be fine even at 24, who cares, I bought it for the ride and the air and the zone!

Yes, I realize that statistically, with fewer Spyders, we will have less incidents of breakdowns, recalls and such and the higher Harley population will have a higher number just from the sheer numbers. However, we do have fewer problems, we do have issues, but they have them too. In the end game, as one friend of mine with a Sypder and in group one demonstrates, he carries a Harley strap in the Frunk, because one of them may need a pull to the rescue, it happens more than you would think.
    We complain, they complain, why not find the praise and bask in the glory of it?

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Joe
    Could not have said it better myself!!!
    I LOVE my Spyder, in fact I found an excuse for me to ride it to work today instead of taking the company truck with paid for gas.

At this point my 2015 RTL will roll over to 9,000 miles on the way home today, and has been totally trouble free.

Can't wait until Friday morning, heading from MI to VA for a long weekend ride.

Then last 2 weeks of June to Utah towing the camper trailer, and I do not have any apprehensions that the Spyder will get me to and from both of those places.

I can't say that about me however, there have been the occasional time I had the kill switch off and it wouldn't start. I also have bumped the paddle and put it in neutral at a red light, then when the light turns green I have twisted the throttle and set there. Then you forget to step on the brake so it won't go into gear so you panic a little, but then it comes back to you and away you go, just embarrassed, but no fault of the Spyder, just the fault of the guy riding it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue