Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle mini camper

I was looking at several motorcycle campers and came across these. Anyone know if these would be too heavy for a Spyder to pull fully loaded? Braking would be my biggest concern, but I could be wrong. I'm sure they aren't cheap as well, but I don't have any pricing information. http://www.americanrvcompany.net/Lit...lers_c_95.html

Spyder Garage

Default A little heavy

I was looking at the Specs ..... Weighs 900lbs empty . IMO outweighing the bike that much would be asking for trouble , especially when braking

Spyder Garage

Default I digress

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I was looking at the Specs ..... Weighs 900lbs empty . IMO outweighing the bike that much would be asking for trouble , especially when braking
    I see you can get a brake package with them , I noticed many on here saying they tow trailers well over the weight limit of 400 lbs with brakes to keep the trailer from pushing the bike . Also I see there is a little version on your link closer to the 400 lb suggested limit . I'm considering a trailer myself so will wait for the veterans to impart the wisdom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As COOL as the Little Guys are: they're just a bit too much for the Spyders to safely tow...

I keep looking at Kompact Kamp

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/

They're about as basic as you can get, but the price is more than right, and they fit the weight limitations nicely!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If I did not already have a RT-622 trailer I would look at the MyPod. 580# empty but get an electric brake package. My opinion with one up the Spyder would not evan know it's there. I like the looks but would not add too much extra weight. Maybe a couple of bags and the family Cat.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

We tow a fully loaded Aspen Sentry and love it. No problems here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

At this time when I go camping with the spyder, I just load the RT 622 trailer with everything that I need and that works fine for me. The little Guys just caught my attention and was just curious about them. I do agree that they may exceed the weight limitations of the spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Campers

I have the Aspen Classic and the BRP 622. Both follow right behind without problems. The camper is heavier and being the female I am, have to bring the kitchen sink when loading. THEN start off loading what isn't REALLY needed!!! Have it down to a reasonable wt I think. haven't weighed the camper and bike yet but have it on the LIST!! Think I have overloaded but the bike doesn't seem to mind. Stopping is a "be aware of what the traffic is doing 2 to 3 cars ahead"!! Haven't had any of the "tail wagging the dog" problems.

Spyder Garage

Isnt that what cincyspyder pulls? A teardrop?

Norm H Austin Tx
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    We tow a fully loaded Aspen Sentry and love it. No problems here.

I can't believe that "tent" comes out of that small package

My idea of camping is at least a Holiday Inn. AND the SO says "I'm not cooking on vacation"

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    My idea of camping is at least a Holiday Inn. AND the SO says "I'm not cooking on vacation"
    My Missus figures that it becomes "camping" if Room Service shuts down before Midnight.

...But I keep workin' on her!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-22-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Lots of options for camping. Only did the tent camping stuff when I used to travel the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. If it did not portage and pack into the canoe, it stayed home. Twenty mile paddle days, serene lakes, (mostly to ourselves), and beautiful sunsets from the island campsites (our favorites). However, I digress.

Our idea of motorcycle traveling involved hotel or motelng it. Love that bed, the restaurant, and the lounge with good ol drinks.

I like to hear about the options out there. There is some very nice stuff available for those that want to ride and camp. I can see by the pictures, that you folks are having a great time. From 622 by BRP to "killer" accommodations--its what floats your boat that will make you happy.

Keep the information coming.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default That Avatar Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My Missus figures that it becomes "camping" if Room Service shuts down before Midnight.

...But I keep workin' on her!
    Takes me back a few years to the El Macambo in Toronto

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Takes me back a few years to the El Macambo in Toronto
    I smell a story; you should be telling it to us!

Spyder Garage

Looking at spec (copy paste here):The MyPod is a 100% fiberglass molded body on an aluminum frame. With a dry weight of 580 lbs and tongue weight of just 70 lbs, the MyPod is perfect for smaller towing vehicles and still packs a ton of great features. Choose from white, silver, black, blue or red (Paint color code matching is available). Includes Full/Double Size Bed. MSRP does not include shipping or any dealer prep fees.

The tongue weight is 70lbs BRP hitch only allows 40! That's bare stock weight before anything of yours! Contact & get some more info, plz share. Also http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/#...atecamper/cfvg
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-22-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And a total laden weight of 400 pounds...

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/zdx7B19a7E0

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    I was looking at several motorcycle campers and came across these. Anyone know if these would be too heavy for a Spyder to pull fully loaded? Braking would be my biggest concern, but I could be wrong. I'm sure they aren't cheap as well, but I don't have any pricing information. http://www.americanrvcompany.net/Lit...lers_c_95.html

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    Image1463960693.145873.jpg
    I pulled my 2014 Microlite Twist TR7 with my F3S from Colorado to the Grand Canyon and back thru NM and UT with no trouble. Kept my speed around 70mph but got over 80 while passing. Bought mine used but you can find them new for $3,800 from the MFg. in IN.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here are some of my thoughts about using a tent trailer. You've read my bragging about how versatile my trailer is, and it is. But I'm inclined to not use it after this year. And why is that?

Storage convenience is, in my experience, a serious downside. It just is not convenient to access the storage area while I'm in the tent, or even when standing outside of it. I fold up my bed and the two hatches I have in the floor give me really good access to the trailer storage area, but it's cramped in there. I don't see where the commercial units linked to above are all that much better than my setup.

It doesn't look to me like access to the storage in the commercial units is all that easy, if possible, while the camper is folded up. On mine I have a gate in the back and a zippered flap in the bed liner so I can access about 1/2 to 2/3 of the storage area while the tent is folded up. This access to my duffle bag, CPAP machine, etc., makes it easy to stop at a motel for a night without needing to open up my tent. It doesn't look like the commercial units have this same ease of access, but I could be wrong.

Mine does take more than a minute to set up, but only about 10 to 15 at most. Not a big deal, but that is an advantage of the commercial units.

I'm coming to the conclusion that campground restrooms and showers just ain't as comfortable as a motel room! In a motel room one has ready access to the internet for keeping up with email, SL, etc. With a camper trailer you have to go to Burger King, McDonalds, or wherever, to do that.

The overwhelming benefit of using a camper is money savings. I saved at least $50 a night by staying in the campground while at SF. But, I lost a good chunk of that with lower gas mileage towing the trailer for 3900 miles. My travel pattern is not conducive to using the tent for a one night stop. I tend to stop for the night only after about 6 pm or so, and I'm slow to get moving in the morning. For two or more nights at one spot the tent works well, but for me not so well for one night at a time.

Tent trailers are great, and can be a great way to travel, but they do have their downsides. Go ahead and get a tent trailer if you want, and enjoy the heck out of it, but realize they aren't the end all to be all we may be romantically inclined to think! If a tent trailer fits with your style of traveling, then go for it. But don't get one if your travel pattern isn't going to mesh well with the limitations and advantages of one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought a used LeesureLite this spring. http://www.leesurelite.com

My plan is to try it this year and see how it goes as far as saving me money on lodging, etc. I hope to be able to spend less traveling and, thus, travel more. I'm thinking I'll use it for overnight stops en route to an event, then stay at a hotel during the event. I chose the LeesureLIte for the ease of set-up.

It's interesting to read your assessment, Mac. Mine won't be easy to access storage without completely opening it up. My plan is to carry inside it only those things I'll need while camping. Anything I may need at a hotel room I'll strap on top of the trailer or onto the back of my Spyder.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

A good motorcycle camper resource is http://www.motocampers.com/

Our camper is a Combi-Camp which not made anymore but is like the Lees-ure Light, great campers that set up in seconds.

As for getting to our cargo while traveling with our camper we don't have that problem. She tows the camper and I tow the Tag-Along.

We also have 3 or 4 footlockers underneath the camper gray tarp. We place these outside the camper on the back side, full of clothes and such that we don't need immediately.

Last edited by WA5VHU; 05-28-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I have a friend that has a Bunkhouse camper trailer that she pulls behind her Spyder and claims she doesn't even notice it's there.

www.bunkhousecamper.com

Specifications

2015 Bunkhouse King LX Camper Base Year 2015 Manufacturer Bunkhouse Model Name King LX Camper Trim Name Base Generic Type (Primary) Pop Up Camper Weights Weight 340 Lbs. Dimensions Overall Length 113” Overall Width 48.5” Height 38” Features Storage Capacity 24 Cu. Ft.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

When you need to get into the storage in the Aspen (Mine is the "basement model") -

when set up, you simply lift the front edge of the mattress and there is a large hatch underneath

when closed, you simple raise the lower edge the cover and unhook the two clips. there is gas shocks that raise and hold it open for complete access.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

they all look awesome but my wifes version of camp is our camper with a/c, hot water, toilet,shower,cable,comfortable queen bed and room for 8-10, not sure my rs could tow all that???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of a Toy Hauler

I have been thinking of moving to a "Toy Hauler". Currently, I camp in an A-Liner, a hard sided pop-up: <http://aliner.com/>
    It's got me a little spoiled - heater when it's cold, fridge when I need something cold. I would have no issue continuing with it, but I can't figure out how to bring my Spyder with it. Much too heavy for the to tow.

The toy-hauler concept intrigues me. Mostly they are incredibly expensive, as are most motor-homes. But a "travel trailer" type toy hauler might do the trick. Like this one:

Just when everything is paid off, here I go getting ideas. On the other hand, this could double as a storage and a trailer for the Spyder as needed.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779