Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default If you are thinking of getting the BUDS system, some things that I have found out.

I bought the BUDS system last year from Powersports-diag.com. This guy has a US phone but is in Austria I think. Apparently, he is an authorized dealer for the company that actually created the BUDS system, which is used by a number of manufactures . I got the Roadster license, there are others available.

There recently has been talk about disabling the DESS module because of the problem not being fixed yet. This takes the MegaTech license which few if any CanAm dealers buy.

The Megatech license from Powersports-diag.com is $400E, there appears to be two other people selling the BUDS system, one being brpdiagnostics.com with a US address and phone #. The address appears to be a vacant field near Portland, OR. I emailed with this guy, that I think is actually in Australia. He sent me a one week trial Megatech license, but couldn't tell me how to install it. He more or less said that it worked for him figure it out. Price was to be $170USD for one year.

I then emailed diag-systems.com and they quicky responded and sent me a 1 week free trial of the Megatech license and the correct instructions on how to install it. It worked as expected and I could see how to deactivate the DESS module. Since I haven't had THE issue, I haven't decided to do it yet. Price $170USD for one year. Location of this one, I don't think is in the US, as their website has NO phone and no address. IP is from London, England

Other than the deactivation of DESS, the other things that you can do with the MegaTech is way over my head. You can reprogram the ECM, change the hours and the VIN# which I don't know why you would ever need to do that. I'm sure there are other stuff too.

So I hope this info helps.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NON - DESS - SYSTEM

So Bill, do you have any idea what happens if the DESS MODULE and OR SYSTEM is De-Activated........Does the KEY then work like in the good old days ....turn it to ON....press start ......and BINGO off you go ???????........Thanks ......Mike

Spyder Garage

also what plug did you use to plug into the bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So Bill, do you have any idea what happens if the DESS MODULE and OR SYSTEM is De-Activated........Does the KEY then work like in the good old days ....turn it to ON....press start ......and BINGO off you go ???????........Thanks ......Mike
    Apparently the key works as expected, turn it on and push start.

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    also what plug did you use to plug into the bike
    There is a plug just for the BUDS system on the left side looking from the front, under the black cover, near the coolant cap.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Just to clarify

"The Megatech license from Powersports-diag.com is $400E, there appears to be two other people selling the BUDS system, one being brpdiagnostics.com with a US address and phone #. The address appears to be a vacant field near Portland, OR. I emailed with this guy, that I think is actually in Australia. He sent me a one week trial Megatech license, but couldn't tell me how to install it. He more or less said that it worked for him figure it out. Price was to be $170USD for one year."

Just to clarify, you mentioned $170USD, is that the complete software package or is it just the on going lenience once you buy the complete package.?

Regards

Paul

Spyder Garage

i meant how or what do you use to hook the bike to your personal computer on the bike. you would need a special cable
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjb_Brisie View Post
    "The Megatech license from Powersports-diag.com is $400E, there appears to be two other people selling the BUDS system, one being brpdiagnostics.com with a US address and phone #. The address appears to be a vacant field near Portland, OR. I emailed with this guy, that I think is actually in Australia. He sent me a one week trial Megatech license, but couldn't tell me how to install it. He more or less said that it worked for him figure it out. Price was to be $170USD for one year."

Just to clarify, you mentioned $170USD, is that the complete software package or is it just the on going lenience once you buy the complete package.?

Regards

Paul
    No, the cost to play requires you to purchase the MPI-2 or MPI-3 inteface, software and a megatech key. Depending upon where it is purchased you may get a bootleg copy or the real thing. The price to for admission is just at $1000 USD, and requires renewal fees on some of the software. The price of renewal fees varies also depending upon if you are getting a bootleg copy or the real deal.

Bill that started this post and I had some fun phone conversations over this. I had spoken with the person selling the equipment over a year ago, and still hesitated on purchasing.

Consider also that the Spyder is not the reason BUDS was created, the Spyder came along after the boats, sleds, outboards and 4 wheelers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is all pretty neat information.
    But my "Spyder-Senses" are tingling. I can't help but think about Pandora; and the box that she opened...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep you can turn off the DESS Anti Theft with the mega key..I have not done that yet but have the option.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bill the cable and software is necessary and the Austrian company cheaper option doesn't give you access to all of BUDS. Contact Jay at Power Spirts Disgnodtics in Canada they are legitimate sellers of BUDS but it will cost you. The cable alone is $750.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also you don't want to spend a nickel on the MPI-2 cable as that is the old style and BRP has gone to MPI-3.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I already have the MPI2 as that was all that was available last year. I was told by the Austrian guy, who I think is also legit, that the MPI3 is "faster and more secure, no need to upgrade".

As others have said you need the interface which comes with the wiring to connect your computer and the bike. The BRP software is free, version 3.7.2.4 is the latest, but without the license/s you only get a demo to look at, it won't connect/talk with the bike. As far as some being bootleg, the Austrian guy did say that the other two are bootleg, however, when you get a license from them, it is for your interface module only and it expires. Most bootleg stuff has a key and its yours forever.

I was also told that our BRP is developing a BUDS2 for the 2017s and that our stuff won't work with it. Apparently in Europe a company can't lock out anyone from working on their stuff, so that will be available there. We have that here for cars, but apparently not for bikes.
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 05-22-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BUDS2?
    Interesting...
    Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did not do well in the third grade so I need help.....What is DESS??

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi George,
    That's the security system that BRP has put on these bikes.
    It's why your keys have chips in them!

Spyder Garage

Hi Mr. Cognac,

Re: What is DESS??

Based upon what I have been reading on this site, I 'think' it means: Disasbled - Especially Spyder Switches

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're probably more correct, than we'd like you to be...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Mr. Cognac,

Re: What is DESS??

Based upon what I have been reading on this site, I 'think' it means: Disasbled - Especially Spyder Switches

Jerry Baumchen
    Almost but not quite. It means: DIGITALLY ENCODED SECURITY SYSTEM which boils down to the part that reads the chipped key and tells the ECM so you can start the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP, DESS, DPS, VCM,ECM,VSS, GPS, HID, LED...
    Did you ever find yourself wondering, if even THEY know what all of this means?

Spyder Garage

Dis-functional Electronic Security System = DESS in the failed mode

Dumbass Electronic Security System = DESS in the functioning mode

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Damn
    Electronics
    Stranded (me)!
    S***!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Sounds like your naming HD models. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think they all have ADS.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Now we are having some fun making up acronyms for a serious problem. Humor in crisis...

Anyone else have a cool acronym for what DESS stands for in regards to the customer.

Spyder Garage

Hi PMK,

Re: Humor in crisis...

If we cannot have a little fun now and then, why bother with life?

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5