Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE QUESTION

I want to start doing my own oil changes. I know that I can get the oil, filters, etc. from BajaRon, but my question is, what, if any special tools would I need to do this? Maybe a 1/4" or 3/8" drive torque wrench - or both? Also, others have suggested changing the drain plugs to hex head with stronger magnets. Where would I get these? Is there any benefit to changing the cover bolts for the filters, and if so, where would I get those as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 3/8th inch torque wrench and it works perfect. Dimple plugs are one brand of after market oil plugs. The two plastic panels under the engine, if still in place, can be removed and placed in the trash. With them gone, your oil change is much easier.
    Last edited by kngfsh27; 05-21-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, I left out the filter cover. Keep using the OEM. You will need a 36mm socket to remove it.

Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

He has a 2013 RT which has the 998 engine. It does not have the oil filter cover like the 1330's do. You will need a 6 mm Allen wrench for one of the oil plugs and a 45 torx for the other plug. I believe the bolts for the oil filter cover and the transmission filter are 5 mm Allen. If you want to replace with hex plugs, order from dimpleplugs.com or goldplug.com.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Be careful with the drain plugs. On some bikes, they are both allen head and on some there is one allen and one torx. Having done quite a few oil changes on these bikes, I have seen no particular pattern, you have to LOOK closely. Aftermarket hex head plugs are much easier to remove without damage. I have also seen my share of buggered up plugs from the dealer oil changes so keep replacement plugs in stock.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Be careful with the drain plugs. On some bikes, they are both allen head and on some there is one allen and one torx. Having done quite a few oil changes on these bikes, I have seen no particular pattern, you have to LOOK closely. Aftermarket hex head plugs are much easier to remove without damage. I have also seen my share of buggered up plugs from the dealer oil changes so keep replacement plugs in stock.
    I agree! Mix and Match drain plugs for no apparent reason. I think this is the main reason so many have 'Stripped' drain plugs. It's because they used the wrong tool which SEEMS to fit. But doesn't really.

I understand the thinking but I cringe when people use a torque wrench on the 998 filter caps. Whether you use a torque wrench or not, here are some tips on the filter caps.

When replacing the filter caps, alternate back and forth on each screw to get even pressure on both. If you tighten one screw all the way down first, you will probably strip the other screw trying to get it evened up.

Remember, the O-Ring does the sealing and it requires very little pressure to do so. The cap screws DO NOT need to be very tight at all. Evenly snugged up is PLENTY! Tiny threads in aluminum are an invitation to stripping. Be reasonable. Tighter is not always better. And in this case, it isn't better at all.

If you tighten the caps unevenly you also run the risk of pinching or slicing the O-Ring. So again, simply alternate the tightening sequence to get even pressure on both screws.

It's not that difficult to do if you follow a few simple guidelines. Thousands of Spyder owners do their own oil changes saving time, money and getting to know their machine a little better.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just did my first oil change today. Those oil filter caps, especially the engine oil filter require a LONG 5 mm (allen type) wrench or try to get the socket type and a long ratchet wrench extension. There is stuff in the way, so the longer the better, and the wrenches with handles are too short. and the handles get in the way. I have two torque wrenches and neither will go down to 15 inch pounds (20 only on one), so I just hand tightened them. Luckily both of my drain plugs were alike.

After I finally figured out how to remove the bottom panel, I decided it was not that hard to remove or put back on, so I put it back on. I like the protection, since I have to ride 5 miles to the blacktop on dirt/gravel roads.

I did figure out why the shops charge so much, oil changes on the 998 are time consuming!
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

I am also going to start changing my own oil on my 2013 RTL. How much of the Tupperware has to be removed? Even with what the manual says, it looks like it is still hard to get the filter cover off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I am also going to start changing my own oil on my 2013 RTL. How much of the Tupperware has to be removed? Even with what the manual says, it looks like it is still hard to get the filter cover off.
    Mirror, left side lower panel, left side upper and lower lateral panel.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It isn't hard to do just take your time and you will do fine. Here is the link for the Dimple oil drain plugs.http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/canamspyder.php
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-22-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Your covered..

This place gets the job done...now you can relax and do your oil change.. I have seen the gold plugs in some autoparts stores as well but I prefer the Dimple plugs even though the magnets will mess with you and the plugs leap at any metal close by...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the great information & links to the drain plugs.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    This place gets the job done...now you can relax and do your oil change.. I have seen the gold plugs in some autoparts stores as well but I prefer the Dimple plugs even though the magnets will mess with you and the plugs leap at any metal close by...
    $63 bucks for 2 magnetic hex bolts (and they don't even light up! ) Is this really worth it rather than sticking with the OEMs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They will be: once the OEM pieces get buggered up, and you can't remove them...

But yes: it'd be nice if they DID light up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    $63 bucks for 2 magnetic hex bolts (and they don't even light up! ) Is this really worth it rather than sticking with the OEMs?
    In a word YES.

It's way to easy to strip the OEM drain plugs. Don't ask me how I know this.

Dwight, take the opportunity to change out the plugs. You won't be sorry.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

No...it's a choice but they do a better job and easy to work with.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dimple oil filters?

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I want to start doing my own oil changes. I know that I can get the oil, filters, etc. from BajaRon, but my question is, what, if any special tools would I need to do this? Maybe a 1/4" or 3/8" drive torque wrench - or both? Also, others have suggested changing the drain plugs to hex head with stronger magnets. Where would I get these? Is there any benefit to changing the cover bolts for the filters, and if so, where would I get those as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Anyone using Dimples oil filters? Reusable and filter better?
    Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway — it's an attitude. ~Author Unknown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    '
    This was minimum for me...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Just finished the 3000 mile oil change on my 15 RTL. For the record, they are still mixing the allen and torx drain plugs! Used car ramps and floor jack to be able to get the drain pan under.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree! Mix and Match drain plugs for no apparent reason. I think this is the main reason so many have 'Stripped' drain plugs. It's because they used the wrong tool which SEEMS to fit. But doesn't really.

I understand the thinking but I cringe when people use a torque wrench on the 998 filter caps. Whether you use a torque wrench or not, here are some tips on the filter caps.

When replacing the filter caps, alternate back and forth on each screw to get even pressure on both. If you tighten one screw all the way down first, you will probably strip the other screw trying to get it evened up.

Remember, the O-Ring does the sealing and it requires very little pressure to do so. The cap screws DO NOT need to be very tight at all. Evenly snugged up is PLENTY! Tiny threads in aluminum are an invitation to stripping. Be reasonable. Tighter is not always better. And in this case, it isn't better at all.

If you tighten the caps unevenly you also run the risk of pinching or slicing the O-Ring. So again, simply alternate the tightening sequence to get even pressure on both screws.

It's not that difficult to do if you follow a few simple guidelines. Thousands of Spyder owners do their own oil changes saving time, money and getting to know their machine a little better.
    Wish I had seen this before I stripped my HCM a filter cap screw this afternoon. I alternated the hex screws till I had them snug and then put 97 lbf-in (like oil filter) and oops, I felt it slip, half the threads came out. I caught the brake pad pin but I didn't catch this.

It'll still snug up not much more. Think a course metric helicoil will work or leave it? I'm thinking maybe the shop?

Spyder Garage

Default Poor fastener choice

By BRP!!!! No vehiclel I've EVER drained oil on has ever had a Torx or allen drive on it's drain bolt. ( Tha may exist??) Yah the hex drives are expensive but just wait till you strip one of those allens out because you put a torx drive in it by mistake ( or visa versa)
    I changed mine at 3000 miles and boy was I glad for them on at the next oil change ( last Monday)

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow