Spyder Garage

Default how long does your dealer take, with service work?

so my spyder 2013 sts sm-5 started running rough, and popping thru the muffler at idle. then 1 cyl. died completely. I limped it home and towed it to my nearest dealer. had to wait a week and a half for an appointment? now it's been there for 2.5 weeks. and they still don't know what's wrong with it. I had assumed it just fouled a plug or had a bad plug wire, since that seems pretty common. but mine has pretty low mileage under 2k ? . they said they had replace all the vacuum hoses ? I'm not sure how that would affect just 1 cyl. I'm starting to lose confidence in there ability to figure this out. I don't know if I'm getting the run around? but it's riding season and it really sucks to be making payments and not riding. what is a reasonable amount of time to wait? should I complain to BRP? I don't want to be unreasonable, but when I bring my truck to the dealer for repair it's usually a day or two. I'm getting frustrated, and can't get a strait answer from them. they keep telling me they are trying , but won't give me an answer as to when I can expect it back. any advice?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEALER

I personally don't trust Dealer's so I do all my own work...........and I've got no complaints ......Mike

Spyder Garage

I hate to say this, but... find a new dealer. The local dealer near me (8 minutes) is booking 2 weeks out, just to look at a Spyder. I recently had a DPS warning and limped in. When I went back out the warning was gone and the Spyder "repaired itself." In hindsight I took a corner a little too hot after I installed a new BajaRon sway bar. All was fine. But, I learned that I should probably find another dealer to service my Spyder.

The dealer I bought my Spyder from is about 1hr away and will look at it immediately if not the next day to at least give an idea of what may need to be done. That's how he operates his business. For me, it's worth the trip for better service.

If you have options, exercise them. These dealers are all different and not completely dedicated to Spyders. JMHO...
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

Default Good so far

The dealer I use in Toronto has been good mostly . Communication does become an issue at times when they are really busy ( Spring ) . At one point I had what was figured to be a oil sensor switch issue and when I sent it there on a tow truck they told me they wouldn't be able to look at it for 2 weeks or so . Then I went in and talked to them and they agreed to work me in because it was a quick fix issue . I think a lot of dealers try to get the new sales out the door first because there is more money to be made

Spyder Garage

More to why im trying to compile a list of customer reviewed dealers from what has been posted here on SL , here is what I got so far:
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍👎 dealers quick list of comments stated already this year[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👎Fun bike center Mesa AZ[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍Veys powersports [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]El Cajon AZ By same person with tire problem.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍Birds of prey Caldwell IA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Towing assistance for someone with key/DESS problem[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍Sierra cycles Sierra Vista AZ[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Someone with damaged low tire got a helping hand, loner bike & repair wrk. [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍 Motorsports inc[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hanover PA somebody had multiple issues p-brake & windshield & were instructed how to move spyder by helpful dealer (communicated tie dow instructions to tow truck)[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍 Ride Now Chandler AZ someone got fast service. [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]👍Arctic adventures Rosendale NY Recommended by someone to another having dealer trust issues[/COLOR]

Just my own lil thing for now hope it will catch on with some tweeks

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I make an appointment for work to be done, not an appointment to drop it off and let it sit. That said it sounds like your dealer may be stymied by the problem on your Spyder keep bugging them for answers.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

After the first few weeks of not hearing from them . I have called at the end of each day for a progress report , or lack of progress, and I feel I'm just getting the run around. now they are replacing the plugs, since replacing the vacuum hoses didn't solve anything. they claim to be in touch with BRP because they can't figure it out the problem.

Come on. Once the plastic is off ? How much time do they need to change a couple hoses , or spark plugs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's time to look for a dealership with a reputable Service Department...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Many dealers use the drop it off and we will get to it program. IMO--an indicator of a dealer that wants to sell but not service.

's are a difficult line to work on, the techs are usually untrained or completely lacking.

I would be picking the up and taking it to a different dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with how Ann handles this:
    I always call for an appointment, and make sure that's when they're going to be working on bike...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PLUGS

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    After the first few weeks of not hearing from them . I have called at the end of each day for a progress report , or lack of progress, and I feel I'm just getting the run around. now they are replacing the plugs, since replacing the vacuum hoses didn't solve anything. they claim to be in touch with BRP because they can't figure it out the problem.

Come on. Once the plastic is off ? How much time do they need to change a couple hoses , or spark plugs.
    ..........Under 2k and they think it's PLUGS ..................That would be my very last choice after about 2 dozen other things......maybe three or four ............................RUN........jmho....... Mike

Spyder Garage

my first thought was the o2 sensor, it smelled very rich before it started skipping. so it probably fouled a plug. but what was the root cause of the rich condition?

Spyder Garage

Default Service departments have to run at a back log

Any service dept, bikes , refrigerators, etc have to run at a backlog to be profitable. If not profitable they have to close the doors and you have no one.
    My dealer Ride Now Chandler I always call for an apointment , Drew tells me when he can get it in and get it back the same day. Thats on typical servicing. Now if they need to order apart its going to take longer.
    I know we all hate not having our bikes but its a reaalityl problem that has no resolve.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

At my dealer I make an appointment for service and get it back the same day. Even when there's been a problem they've never had it more than 4 days.

Methinks you need a new dealer.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I personally don't trust Dealer's so I do all my own work...........and I've got no complaints ......Mike
    I agree I do all my own work
    My dealer (or any dealer) has not seen my bike since ai bought it
    And I have 23,000 on this one and 75,000 miles on my last one
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quadfather,

You asked for advice, so here's mine...

Judging from the links in your signature, you probably have a fairly good idea about the competence of the dealer you're involved with by now, based on past conversations with them. IMO, it's time to take things to the next step. Your options are dependent on whether or not you have a competent dealer close enough for you to take it to. If you do, I'd pull it out. They will likely want you to pay them something. I wouldn't be inclined to do that. I would write a certified letter to the GM or owner of the dealership (by name), explaining what has occurred so far and why you have become frustrated with his service department. I would set a demand date (no less than 10 days from when you expect them to receive the letter) at which time they either return your Spyder to you fixed, or you will be requesting they release it to you with no lien, whereupon you will remove it from their shop and take it to someone who can repair it. I would also invite the GM to contact you by phone should he want to discuss the situation with you, and that you would be willing to come to his office for a meeting. In your letter, and in subsequent conversations, you want to be firm but polite at all times. If they don't fix it or release it, by your demand date, it's time to contact an attorney (but I wouldn't threaten that in the letter).

If, OTOH, you don't have anyone else to take it to, then I would call the GM or owner, explain that you are having a serious problem with his company, that you are hopeful that things can be resolved at a personal meeting with him and his service manager (NOT just the service manager). In the unlikely event that he resists such a meeting, tell him that you are not a litigious person by nature and are very hopeful that you and he can work out a solution without your having to contact your attorney for advice about the situation. Go into the meeting with all the facts to date accurately documented, and demand a resolution for getting your Spyder back to you in a timely manner. Again firmness and politeness will likely get things resolved.

That's what I would do in your situation, given the facts in your message above. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-22-2016 at 01:44 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good advice; Rob!

Spyder Garage

The dealerships( Derby, VT, Essex Junction, VT) that I deal with I make an appointment for service and I get my spyder back the same day, I usually wait for my spyder( because it is convenient for me) The Derby, VT. dealership is 2hours from me and a great spyder ride. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I just had the throttle bodies serviced at my dealer and had to wait at least a week for my appointment. The work that I had done was done the same day of the appointment. While I had it there I just told them to replace the plugs and air filter while they had everything apart and also included an oil change at my request. Again they had it apart for the throttle body service, so it was a good time to get at these other items I listed. When all was said done it took about 3 1/2 hours to get it all serviced. I was happy with the work they done. It runs great!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Waiting a week for normal servicing isn't a bad thing...
    But if your bike is broke down... it can seem like FOREVER!

Spyder Garage

Post Dealer Troubles

I agree with Rob. I would definitely contact the General Manager to set up a date for the spyder to be fixed or released to you to take the spyder to another dealership. I would also sent a letter to BRP to let them know about the problem you are having with the dealership. And ask them for assistance in getting the dealership to fix your spyder.

Just my 2 cents.

Blade

Spyder Garage

If they cant fix it I would find out your lemon Law and call them out on it. Then U get a new one and they ship the old back to the factory. Just like a car. I did it once. Dealer was happy to get rid of the car and work to get me a new one!

Spyder Garage

I don't believe you mentioned if the dealer was close?

Myself, I would just go up there and in a very calm manner ask to speak with the general manager or owner.
    Calling is better than email but sometimes business just requires a face to face discussion.
    Have a detailed discussion and get a game plan from them with ETAs/dates. Understand the GM might not have all the answers right then.
    If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the discussion, then work on having it transferred to another dealer.

Keep in mind there are always a few bad apples out there that could impact a dealer and it sometimes takes time for them to realize or address the internal issue. Few bad dealers out there also but usually not everyone in the building is bad.

Hope things work out.

Spyder Garage

they are about 40 min. from me. I will call again at the end of the day today. in hope that some progress was made. and go from there.